Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-22-2005, 08:34 PM   #1  

Unhappy In Need of a little Encouragement

Hi there, I'm brand new to this. I need to lose about 60 pounds. I've lost some in the past but then I got sloppy and need some support. This site looks like just the ticket. I am a Type II Diabetic so my diet is basically to watch my carbs. Right now, however, I am doing a miserable job of that. I am very addicted to carbs right now and I know the only way out of this eating muddle I've made is to go through "carb withdrawal." Any thoughts, suggestions or encouragements on doing that would be much appreciated! Thanks!
FlannelAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:53 AM   #2  

Hi FlannelAnnie, it can be really daunting starting out, but there is lots of help out there, including us!!! Both my parents have type 2, and I am doing this before I am next in the genetic lottery. Have you seen a dietician/nutritionist?? You should be getting some sort of medical help to do this safely. As you probably know, not all carbs are equal, and there are good carbs (those that are low GI) which will help you to lose weight. There are plenty of books out there about low GI diets, and basically any diabetic plan will in its nature be low GI without the trendy labelling!!!

Don't get discouraged, and one of my big things is don't put yourself on a time scale. I have over 100 pounds to lose, and basically look at a loss of 1 to 2 pounds a week (when it is two pounds I run around the gym where I way in doing a happy dance - the gym staff are much happier when I lose 1, apparently I am quite scary!!!)

Losing it this way, it will take me two years to get to goal, which is fine with me, as long as I lose steadily, don't put it back on, I am happy with that.

Best of luck with your healthy weight loss journey!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I am a borderline diabetic (and was gestational diabetic) so I try to exercise and control my weight to try and keep that at bay as long as possible.
I agree with the good carbs and bad carbs-diabetic diets allow good cargohydrates like fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. It is the "simple carbs" like sodas, sugary kid cereals, cookies and cakey things, chips, breads and rolls that are not whole grains-and such that you want to avoid.
So-you don't have to go into carb withdrawal-you just have to make smart carb choices. I know what you mean about being addicted to them though-simple carbs are addicting-they are hunger drivers.
A few years ago I would sit down to a huge plate of (regular) pasta that probably equaled 3 servings easily and garlic bread...now if I want pasta I still have it now and then-but I have a single serving of whole wheat pasta (I buy a whole wheat brand in the health food section that has a measurable serving size listed on the back-3/4 cup rather than the confusing 2oz. ) I have a dab of marinara sauce with it or a little bit of canned diced tomatoes-and a grilled chicken breast along the side for protein. I have a salad instead of garlic bread.
You can definitely still have carbs-but differently.
I enjoy fruit with breakfast and for snacks-not just the ordinary apple or banana, but cherries, melon, mangoes, clementines, plums, and fresh berries. It gives me more variety.
I have found that it is much more satisfying hunger wise to have eggs and fruit, or oatmeal and fruit than it is to have Pop Tarts or donuts or other simple carbs-they stay with me longer.
Good luck to you,
Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:39 PM   #4  

Yeah, I hear what you ladies are saying. I should qualify my statements. I'm not a new diabetic, but manage it through diet and exercise. I was doing that really well, but now not quite as well. It would be the sugar I'm addicted to. I love chocolate specifically. I do not eat is responsibly. :P I do know about the glycemic index. Anything you do or eat that helps curb those sugar cravings and emotional eating? Thanks!
Old 05-23-2005, 05:54 PM   #5  

The emotional eating was one of the key reasons I gained weight. When I started I wrote a list of all my danger times - stress at work, arguments with my dh, homesickness (huge one for me) and so on. I then wrote down when those times were likely to occur (that time of the month, when tired, Sundays) and finally a list of strategies. On Sundays, for example, I am on my own all day. That is when I used to bake, eat and basically slob around on the couch. Now I swim in the morning, do grocery shopping after that, and go to the gym in the afternoon, too busy to eat anything other than what I am supposed to!!!!

I have a treat once a week. Not usually a treat meal. On a saturday or Sunday I will have a piece of cake, an icecream or a chocolate bar, so I don't feel I am missing out. That usually takes me about 300 calories over for the day, which is fine.

I've found it a lot easier than I thought it would be. I am pretty strict with myself, and I do tend to diary a lot to keep me honest, and I use this site a heck of a lot too. I would go insane without the support of everyone to help me!!! The 100 pound thread is a good un (you don't have to have that much to lose)

What I have learned the most, is that it pretty much is a lonely journey. All diet plans and approaches will work, it's a matter of finding out what works for you. My approach is something I have cobbled together from lots of places, and I constantly make adjustments and play around (I get bored very easily)
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:47 PM   #6  

Kykaree, I do that too...put together different ideas and plans and I too get bored easily. I'm always finding different ways to try to keep myself motivated. I even have a calendar up that I put stickers on for days when my eating is where i want it to be. Anything to stay motivated! Today was the first day that I felt I did pretty well. I'm pretty good about the exercising. Exercise helps me burn off stress and keeps my mood more stable so once I figured that out I have been very good about exercising regularly. But eating healthy is my biggest challenge. Hope you are doing great!
Old 05-25-2005, 11:47 PM   #7  
Former "Big Girl!"

Smile

I was an emotional eater. I ate when I was stressed or depressed - and it was usually sugar or chocolate!

The doctor put me on prescription meds which turned me into a mushroom. I hated that feeling! I lived in a fog for a couple of years.

Recently, I tried SAM-e and was amazed with the results. I noticed a difference the first time I took it. After about 6 days I was doing great! After a couple of weeks, my doctor took me off all meds, now I only take the SAM-e.

What is really amazing is my cravings. They are virtually gone! I don't crave the sugar like I used to and my stress level is way down. Another thing I found that helps me when I have an extra tough sugar craving (like "that time" of the month) is TrimSpa. I know, that girl is scary, but the stuff really works for me to curb the sugar cravings. I don't take them all the time (I forget), but when I am craving sugar one or two does the trick. I am sure that if I took them regularly I probably would not have the cravings at all, but I just can't remember to take that stuff 3 times a day.

Besides, I am doing great without it
Mrs. Partridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:51 PM   #8  

What is SAM-e? You got my attention with that for sure!
Old 05-26-2005, 11:48 AM   #9  

http://www.naturemade.com/ProductDat...p?productid=71

also, check out

http://search.drweil.com/search?site...no_dtd&q=sam-e
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #10  

also checkout bestsame.com/sam-e.html
jamie11 is offline   Reply With Quote