Old 05-16-2005, 07:34 AM   #1  

Default Circle of Friends Week of May 15th

A Good Monday Morning,

Hope you all had a nice weekend. The weather cooperated very nicely. DH had Sat. & Sun. off. We went to Home Depot to look at new kitchen sinks, the one we inherited is an awful mess and can't get the stains out, now I know why she had rubber mats in the sink when we moved in.

DH & I went out to another Italian Rest. a couple of towns from us. It was good, but a bit expensive and they were rather slow. Since we do have a few favorites, we'll probably only go back there occasionally. Down here there are more Italian Rest. than you can shake a stick at.

My IL's headed north early..early Fri. morning. They got home late yesterday morning. We're glad they're off the road.

Hi Anne, Nikki, Lynn, Kate hope you all have a great day.

I'm off to grab another cup of coffee and drink it out on the lanai.

Ali
aleka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:13 PM   #2  

A very quick hi I haven't forgotten you guys just been very busy. Thought things were slowing down at work and I got slammed again today I'm heading in early tomorrow to try to get things together. It's the school budget vote and we'll be swamped Wednesday morning typing up comments from the exit poll for the supt. Hopefully it will pass and there won't be too many nasty comments.
I'm thinking of all of you and hope that things are going well. Weather was good over the weekend, but has turned cool again....supposed to be down to 35 tonight And Ali, you're out sipping coffee on the lanai!!!!

Take care all,
Kate
Katey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:22 AM   #3  

Good Morning Ladies:
Katey, I can relate to how hectic things are for you at work. Our place is
nuts. When I finally get to leave at night I am literally almost running so
someone doesn't stop me with another request

We have a long weekend coming up. May 23 is Victoria day, so everyone
is really looking forward to that.

Aleka, my brother just put in a new sink for my mother a few weeks ago.
Her sink was 45 years old so it was about time......

Hi Nikki, I am having a very hard time on my program on weekends. I am
trying to motivate myself to smarten up. By the time I get away from
on a Friday Night, its party time

Lynn, it was great to hear from you. I guess things will start to get really
busy now at Wasaga Beach as Victoria Day is the unofficial start of summer.
You wouldn't know it from these cool temperatures though would you?

Have a great day everyone.
Anne.
ANNE D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:27 AM   #4  

Hello everyone,

Anne, how are things going with so far this week? The sink we have is only 10 yrs. old and there are yellow stains in it I just cannot get out, there are gouges in the porcelain, all in all it's a well used sink. 45 yrs. is good for a sink. Hope that your weather gets better for your long weekend.

Kate, sorry that you're so busy at work. Hope things ease up a bit for you after the vote. I know how nasty school budget meetings can get. Went through a few of those when we went to a few town meetings.

Hi Nikki & Lynn hope things are going well for the both of you.

Have a great day everybody.
Ali
Old 05-18-2005, 10:01 AM   #5  

HI everybody

I am sipping coffee too, but not on the lanai. Oh Ali, you are so lucky
My old sink is so old, do you guys remember the color harvest gold that kitchen appliances use to be? That's the color of my sink. It has to be from the 60's or maybe early 70's if I remember right. Ali, you can pour bleach and hot water into your sink, let it soak for an hour and it will really help with the stains. But, if there are gouges in it, then you need a new one. The sink is one of the most important thing in the kitchen. It makes you happy when it's shiney and clean. Good luck on finding a nice one
Kate, I was wondering if we'd scared you off or bored you to tears. I'm glad your still here and I hope things settle down for you soon.

Hi Anne, I haven't eaten right in weeks. Everyday I say I'm getting back on track tomorrow, but it doesn't happen. I will have to just do it, tomorrow

We finally got our bathroom window that we had to have made. It goes right into the shower, so I talked DH into letting me put some sealer on it, before installing it. I know that it should be installed first, but I told him that if we did, we won't be able to use the shower for 5 days. Since we only have one bathroom, that just won't work. Yesterday, I stained it and I love the way it turned out. Today, I am putting on the first coats of polyurethane. I will put on more tomorrow and then it will need to dry for a couple of days before it gets wet.
I have been busy working on my gardens too. Planting flowers. The strawberries are about ready to be picked. They sure are full of blooms this year.

Lynn, hope your doing ok and that your trip was a good one.

Talk to you all later, Nikki
nikkic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:07 AM   #6  

Hi!

It has gotten pretty warm and muggy these past few days. I've been running the A/C quite a lot now.

My girlfriend from NH is flying down to FL and will be arriving Fri. She's going to stay with her DS & DIL for a couple/three days, then she's going to come stay with us for a few days before she flies north on Wed. Today I'm starting to get her room ready, washing bed linens. I'm so looking forward to her visit.

Nikki, I'll try putting some bleach & water and let it soak for a while. Thanks.At least it would look somewhat cleaner than it does now. I remember the harvest gold kitchens and the avacado green. I had a stove and refrigerator in the harvest gold. You've been really busy with staining your window and all your gardening. I love strawberries. They're finally becoming cheaper now than they were this winter.

Kate, how did the school budget vote go? Any good fights? As I recall, the heated discussions were the best part of the meeting. I am reading There's No Place Like Home by Mary Higgins Clark. This is the first book of her's I've ever read that I didn't care for. Usually her books leave me on the edge of my seat and can't put them down. Not so with this one. But, I am determined to finish it to see whodunit.

Anne, have you any plans for your long weekend?

Lynn, are you at the lake yet?

Have a wonderful day everyone.
Ali
Old 05-18-2005, 06:26 PM   #7  

Hi everybody
Just got home and threw some cornish game hens in the oven for dinner so that gives me some time to catch up with you.

Ali: How much fun that will be for you to have a friend visit! What are you planning to do? My friend that moved down there a couple years ago looks forward to having people from "home" visit. I'm not sure that she feels like a Floridian yet. I always like Mary Higgins Clark too. Haven't read the one that you're reading. Guess I won't bother Went to the library and got some books. I happened to get one by her daughter, Carol Higgins Clark. It's called Burned. In the past, I haven't liked her writing as well as her mother's. We'll see how this one is. Also picked up a Fern Michaels novel and an Ed McBain one. I haven't had a chance to get started on any of them. Today at work I was thinking that I'd love to be home curled up in bed reading all day Gee, the budget vote passed with very little comment. Sorry, no fights to report! What kind of sink did you get? I had a stainless steel one for almost 25 years. When we had the kitchen remodeled a few years ago we put in a porcelain one. I like it, but would really LOVE to have the kind that's one piece with the counter.

Nikki: Gold and avocado....I remember them well! In fact I hate to say that we had avocado appliances and floor until about 5 years ago. I have a hard time with change so things in my house usually stay the same until they fall apart....my motto if it ain't broke, don't fix it Ohhh yum, your strawberries are almost ready! It will be another 3 or 4 weeks before we'll get any home grown ones. And if it doesn't start to warm up soon it may be longer than that My DH's birthday is in the middle of June and he always wants a strawberry pie. There's been years when the local ones weren't ready and then I'd have to pay a fortune to get some. But he's worth it Have you started exercising again? With all that you're doing around the house, you're probably getting plenty.

Anne: How is work? I can so relate to being bogged down with so much. With me it's answering the phone....it just gets me more to do lately! When I'm so busy, I want to eat so the last couple weeks haven't been good for me. Luckily I haven't gained YET, but I need to get it under control. I just get famished. My DH informed me over the weekend that he's lost almost 15#...how did he do that without me noticing I knew he had lost some, but I didn't think that much. Men are so lucky. They don't struggle nearly as much as we do to lose. So now I'm thinking that I can't let him get that far ahead of me! I bet that you'll enjoy your long weekend. What is Victoria Day? I saw it on the calendar, but I don't know what it is.

Well, guess I need to go figure out what we're having with the cornish hens. Take care all.

Kate
Katey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:33 PM   #8  

Hi there!

It got into the 90's today...can you believe it??? DH had today off and we were out and about running errands.

Kate, how did your Cornish Game Hens turn out? They sound delicious. Like your friend who moved down here, I like to see people from home too. I really do miss NH a lot. DH has taken to FL like a duck takes to water, but I'm having a more difficult time adjusting. This visit with my girlfriend will do me a world of good. I haven't seen her since Feb. We're planning on going shopping, shopping, and more shopping. Oh, yes, and eating too! Both of us love to eat and you can tell! I'm looking at a white acrylic (sp?) sink. DH & I went to Home Depot looking for a stainless steel one, but I kind of like the white, and when I saw the acrylic one I knew it was the one I wanted. DH said that the white goes through the whole sink so that if there ever is a scratch or gouge, it'll remain white. It also comes in black, which looks nice too. If I had black appliances that would've been my choice. Have things slowed down at work for you? I've read a couple of Carole Higgins Clark's books and they were ok. She wrote a couple of Christmas ones with her mother. I'm almost finishd with this one....FINALLY!!!!

Hi Nikki, Anne, Lynn, hope everything is going well with you.

Enjoy your evening.
Ali
Old 05-19-2005, 07:26 PM   #9  

Hi everyone,

Ali, it got to 90 here too today. The humidity was low and there was a nice breeze, so it was tolerable. I worked outside most of the day, and if I wasn't in the sun, it wasn't bad at all.
Did a lot of yard work. I see there are a couple of strawberries ready to pick. I suppose in a few days, they will reallyy
start to produce.
Kate, my birthday is June 17th, when's your DH's? While I don't believe in astrology, I really do fit a lot of the traits of a Gemini.
I haven't started to exercise yet, but I'm so beat from working in the yard today, it's got to count.
Anne, hope your weather is nice this weekend so you can get out if you want to. What's it like up there now?
Lynn, hope your doing ok. Thinking of you
I'm going to go put up my feet and rest. Talk to you all later, Nikki
Old 05-20-2005, 09:44 AM   #10  

Hello,

Just a quick post because I've got a lot of house cleaning to do.

Nikki, what a jump in temp. you had. Is it supposed to stay that warm for very long? I bet you can't wait to start picking strawberries. I love fresh strawberries.

Anne, you've got a long weekend coming up and I hope it's a good one for you.

Kate, hope you're doing ok. I forgot to mention this in my post yesterday. If you want to read some really good books, Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series is a hoot! I would start out with the first book and work my way up. I believe she's coming out with #12 shortly. The first book is called, "One for the Money". It introduces you to the characters. My girlfriend, the one who is visiting me, got me hooked on them and I've gotten other people hooked too.

Lynn, still thinking about you and missing you.

Anne and Lynn, have a very Happy Victoria Day on Monday and enjoy your long weekend.

Gotta go clean.

Ali
Old 05-20-2005, 10:39 AM   #11  

Good Morning Everyone:
Thank God its Friday, We have been bombarded with work these last couple
of days. Wouldn't you know gave herself an extra day off today,
(not that I'm complaining).
Nikki, June birthdays, My newphew Jason June 14, My son James June l5,
My Grandmothers BD was June 16, Nikki June 17 Wow, hows that for four in a row Our weather is great, not quite as warm as yours
but really wonderful and sunny Lets hope I can attain my goal and
not pig out this weekend

Katey, Victoria day is the celebration of Queen Victorias birthday. I guess
it goes back to when Canada was under the British Commonwealth. Oh well
kinda nuts, but I'll take it.....

Aleka, sounds like you are going to have a great time with your friend. I hope
you two have a wonderful visit!!!

Talk to you all later.
Anne.

Hi Lynn, I'm thinking of you. Hope you are doing ok
Old 05-20-2005, 01:30 PM   #12  

Hi Everyone We are at the lake, just hooked up the computer. It has been a busy week and still busy. DD and BF and the wonder dog come tomorrow. When I get a chance to sit down I find I am laying down. I am on a 12 day holiday from doctors and hospitals, the Dr. pulled the pic line yesterday so am going to enjoy the time free of the pump and intervenous. DB is coming into the harbour on Wednesday and we will be doing a cruise on the trent system. Apparently all the locks are open so should be fun. I am slowly catching up on my reading of your back posts to catch up with your lives. I LOVED my avocado green appliances. I am so glad that the greens are back in style. Plan to do some green here. Nikki you seem busy. and Ali how nice for you to have your friend visit. I am into a Irish writer now Sheila O'Flanagan and highly recommend her to you all. Anne it is going to be a great weekend so enjoy!!!!!! Well DH is out working so I guess I should go and help. Talk to you tomorrow.
alynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 02:02 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon,

Lynn, I'm glad your doing ok and that your getting a little time off from the Drs and their wares. Sounds like you are busy too.
I have been busy, just seems I'm busy all the time now. Went over to DD #1 and helped her to fix up her little flower bed areas next to her apartment. It's not big, but we put down ground fabric, planted plants and then put some cypress mulch on top of the fabric. It took all morning to do that. She is happy and it looks really nice now.
DH got off of work at noon, after working 12 hours. I made some lunch and now he's reading, so thought I could rest awhile and get on the computer. This afternoon, I plan on doing some more yard work. I have vegetables to pick- radishes and spinach- and need to get that done.

Ali, it's only in the 60's here today, cloudy and breezy. Not bad if your working, but kind of cool if your not. I picked my first strawberries this morning. You should see that bed. It's almost scarey how many strawberries there will be, from the looks of the blooms.

Anne, I didn't know what Victoria Day was either, but figured it had something to do with Queen Victoria. Hope your weather is nice this weekend and you get to enjoy your days off.

Kate, Hope your day is going well. What kind of books do you like to read? I haven't really gotten back into reading for so long. I should take some time to do it, but when I sit down and start to read, my eyes automatically shut. I think I'm allergic to print it makes me sleepy.

I have to make out a grocery list and get some shopping done. I figure this as a good time to get back into dieting again.

Talk to you all later, Nikki
Old 05-21-2005, 08:10 AM   #14  

Happy Saturday everyone!!

Anne, glad that your weather is improving. Have any of the flowers started to bloom yet? I remember that when we were in NH our Lilacs would just about be in bloom now. Isn't that nice can give herself an extra day off and she was so awful to you when you wanted a day off to go to your DS school. At least you'll have an extra day without seeing her.

Nikki, you're really busy with planting flowers and tending your garden. I wish I was more enthused like you are. Glad that DD was happy with the results of her garden. What did you make with your first batch of strawberries?

Lynn, glad to hear from you. You must feel really good being free of the pic line. Glad that you're at the lake for some R & R and that you're free from Dr. appts. and such for a while. Have a wonderful time at the lake and get some rest.

Kate, hope you had a great day yesterday and will enjoy these next couple of days.

Talk to you later,
Ali
Old 05-21-2005, 03:56 PM   #15  

Hi Everyone:

Aleka, the flowers are georgous. My mother has a fabulous garden. It is her
hobby. She has plenty of flowers planted as well as a dozen or more hanging
baskets. The garden is both peaceful and private. A real solitute.

Lynn, how wonderful to be free of the IV line. I remember how that use to
drive my dad crazy all those different times throughout his surgerys over the years , really got on his nerves . I hope you have a wonderful restful time at the lake. Isn't this weekend fabulous Have a
wonderful cruise with your DB it sounds like alot of fun!!!

Nikki, like you I have to get serious with my dieting again. I don't feel as
good as I do when I am on program. My moral gets shot I am
disgusted with myself.

Hi Kate, bet your weather is wonderful too. Its funny, you are so right about
men and weight loss. My DH can eat way more than me and not gain, not
to mention lose much faster that me on more food. Its not fair is it,

Enjoy your weekend ladies!!!
Anne.