Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-06-2005, 11:49 AM   #1  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

Lightbulb Light Bulb Lessons

Have you ever figured something out that you wished you'd known all along? Something that was so simple and logical, that you didn't think it would work until you actually tried it?

For me, it was taking the time to measure out serving sizes. Portion control has always been my weakest spot. When I finally took the trouble to count out the 18 chips the bag suggested and put the rest of the bag away, I found that I didn't actually need any more than that. It was like flipping on a light switch; just that easy.

If you have a little trick or inspiration you figured out, please share it with everyone. A simple trick you've learned might not have occurred to others yet.
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 04:45 PM   #2  

My light switch moment was figuring out that if you eat all the stuff you are meant to eat, your 5 fruit and veggies a day, good sources of protein and carbohydrate, you are too full to eat much rubbish. It's worked for me!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 07:17 PM   #3  

My light bulb moment was paying enough attention to realize that not being stuffed wasn't the same thing as being hungry. I actually remember noticing that I wasn't "full" but also wasn't hungry - and that it felt good. What actually went through my mind was, "So THIS is what NORMAL feels like." From that point forward things got much, much easier because I wasn't walking around all day long THINKING that I was starving and I no longer felt like I was on a "diet".

It all finally seemed so simple and painless. If I'm not hungry, I don't eat and I lose weight. Who knew?
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 212/155/140

Height: 5'7"

My lightbulb moment was really the result of a few months of experimentation, but I recently realised that by being pretty careful to eat lots of lean protein & complex carbs my satiation level is indeed much higher than with breads, pastas, etc., so that I don't in fact get the urge to eat nearly as much (esp in the evening). The cool thing is that by eating this way, I don't have to fight the urges so much, they're just not there. (though I still give in now & then).
cheerio, Sue
suechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 07:48 PM   #5  
Oddball

I just figured out another one lately. Whenever I think I'm really hungry, I drink one of my glasses of water for the day first. Four times out of five, that quells my appetite, and the "hunger" goes away.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

I've had similar lightbuld that you all had. ITs like why didn't I realise this when I was 12 years old? But I also think at least we are figureing out.
My most recent is that if I journal my food everyday, eventually, it will be a habit. It was the hardest thing for me to get the hang of but everytime I did it, I lost much more weight so I knew I needed to but I just couldn't get the hang of it. Now for the past 5 weeks, I have journaled everything that has gone into my mouth and I have lost 8 pounds!
jennie934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 09:27 PM   #7  
Oddball

Teriffic! I agree. Journaling is the way to go. When I started my diet almost 3 years ago, I journaled and lost about 20 lbs. When I stopped journaling, I eventually stopped losing weight. Now I've started again and broke through my long plateau. Both FitDay.com and Journaltosuccess.com, as well as the threads here have really helped. It makes perfect sense now, but I thought it was just plain stupid before I started.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:00 PM   #8  
Oddball

Here's another one I wish I'd known about years ago: Exercising in the morning is FAR better than waiting until after work. I'm far more prepared to face the day, and I have more time for myself in the evening. Plus, there are far fewer excuses to skip!
Old 06-19-2005, 04:11 PM   #9  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

My lightbulb moment was realising that I like exercise. But more than that, realising that I've always liked exercise, but been too worried about what other people would think at seeing the fat girl try to run. I was on all sorts of sports teams at school. Not because I was thin and athletic, I was fat then, but because I was one of the few who could actually be bothered to turn up to practice. I did enjoy it, but I was never actually very good so kind of slipped out of doing it. If only I'd realised then what I know now, that I can actually exercise, and it's good for me.

The other one is that trying new vegetables won't kill me. I've always been very much into sticking to what I know. So I'll eat more of the fruit and veg I like but not try anything else. Then I just decided to try to eat one of my biggest mental block veg and realised it didn't make me sick or unwell and I actually quite liked it. After that it's been a lot easier to try other things. After all, if I don't like it there's always something else in the cupboard I can eat instead, and what's the cost of buying something not to like it compared to the benefits I'll get if I do?
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 04:50 PM   #10  
Trying to ditch the yo-yo

Height: 5'6"

My 'lightbulb' moment was realzing just HOW much extra food I was putting into my mouth each day! I used to "snack" on bowls of cereal like it was going out of style, not taking into consideration the huge number of calories it added to my total each day. Once I figured out how to do other things when I was bored other than eating the weight just melted off.

And I agree with whoever said that eating healthy foods makes it easier to turn down the rubbish, because your body is satisfied and not giving you cravings to try and get you to eat something *nutritious* instead of another salty, starchy snack.
Xuzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 265/262.2/190

Height: 5'10"

My biggest lightbulb moment has to do with exercise. If you'd told me two months ago that I would be looking forward to going to the gym this afternoon, I would have laughed at you (probably in between bites of ice cream). But I am! I still hate the first 10 minutes or so. But once I get through the first 10ish minutes, I get into a groove, I turn up my music, and I actually ENJOY the rest of my workout. It's such a great way to relieve stress and to focus on ME and what I'm trying to do here to improve my health and my appearance. My time at the gym is pure ME time in a way that nothing else really is, and it's been a huge lightbulb moment to me to realize that exercise is not a punishment or a drag - it's something that I can and should enjoy.

My other big one has been just paying attention to the signals from my body and not just eating because hey, I haven't had anything to eat in about an hour. I'm a snacker, and I know that. But I was just eating and eating and eating, and my "snacks" were full meals all by themselves. I was eating 6+ MEALS per day calorie-wise, and calling them snacks. Pure rubbish.
gray eyed girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:58 PM   #12  

a recent dental surgery kept me from chewing with ease.. I learned that week by taking little tiny bites.. (because I could barely chew).. that I was getting full with way less food.. eating slowly really does help!
dona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 09:16 AM   #13  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

I'm a magazine junkie and I feel like I've been dieting since... forever, so about 20 years.
After all that time it took one of those magazines before I had a real light bulb moment. It sounds so obvious, but the caption to some picture said.."Just because it is there, it doesn`t mean you have to eat it."
Somehow in all my dieting and restricting myself I had never thought of things this way. I always managed to justify eating junk food because it was around and I "deserved" it.
Now, I remember this when I'm at work and the pastries, cakes and candy is all around. This isn't food that I would normally eat, and I DON'T have to eat it just because it is there.
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:53 AM   #14  

Just had a light bulb lesson a second ago.

Must.Check.Calorie.Content.BEFORE.Eating.Food. I thought since string cheese isn't too high in calories, a similar size serving of colby jack <which I like significantly more> wouldn't be bad either.

Ate breakfast.

THEN put in Fitday.

Bad idea.

Must chart and plan FIRST, then eat. Who knows where else the extra calories are coming from?
Shalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:00 PM   #15  
Oddball

I just discovered a way to find out if I'm truly hungery, or just mouth hungry. When I have the urge to eat something, I'll first eat something strong like an Altoid. If I'm not truly hungry, I don't have much desire to put something else in my mouth with that flavor still there. It's not sure-fire, but it helps more often than not