Old 05-13-2005, 10:18 AM   #1  
Crazy Canuck

Default Howie's Weekend Challenge (week 6)

Well, here it is - another Friday has rolled around!

This weekend will be a challenge for me, indeed. Its my darling's birthday and his eldest daughter's as well. They each want a different kind of cake and I'm creating them both! Then there's the celebratory dinners (his choice on Saturday and hers on Sunday). I'm giving them both leeway (as the chef) and have requested only that neither choices include gooey pizza!

Hopefully I'll be able to get in lots of heavy duty trail walking this weekend to counter-effect anything that could possibly happen foodwise, although they're calling for thunderstorms!

Any encouragement thrown my way would be truly appreciated.

Let's all be strong folks, straight through the upcoming week!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 11:53 AM   #2  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Well thanks for starting the thread again. I just was getting ready to start it and seen you had beat me to the punch.

Ok time to pass the b*tch baton. I'll be the first male b*tch on the form. You know what is right and you know you can control what goes into your mouth. Just because your making the cakes does not mean you have to eat them. If your doing the cooking then cook two meals. A healthy one for you and the treat one for your loved ones. If your going out to eat then that makes it even easier.

I know you can do this Jill and I'm counting on you to do what is right.

Kimberley and I decided not to have any treat this week since we both had a gain. So I will be on plan 100% this weekend.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:00 PM   #3  
Just Peachy

Ack, 2 days of temptation w/ Cake involved. Be strong and send the left overs home with someone...anyone.

My goal this weekend is just to stay on my food plan. Altho I've been getting better about my weekend eatting, I still usually go over by 200 calories or so each day....and that can add up. So, no excuses this weekend, gonna be as strong then as what I am during the week. Good luck everyone and Jill, I expect a good report come monday
PeachGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:52 PM   #4  
Crazy Canuck

Hmm...b*tchiness becomes you Howie!

Okay, okay, I'll do my best to practice restraint and provide Peachy with a good report.

One of the cakes of choice is chocolate fudge and I found a Weight Watchers recipe that'll be 3 points for a slice. THAT will be the cake I'll have a little piece of. We're all going over to my parents on Sunday afternoon and all leftover cake will be taken there (aside from small pieces to go in everyone's lunch pail - except mine).

George has chosen a meal of my special spicy onion meatloaf with garlic and herb buttered mashed potatoes and fresh carrots - I can certainly make a mini meatloaf for myself without the offending ingredients and will have a small baked potato instead of the mashed and help myself to heaps of carrots. I will NOT be having any of his pineapple carrot cake with cream cheese frosting!

Victoria has requested thai chicken and fried rice. I can have the chicken, will skip the rice and will have fresh veggies and low fat dip on the table for everyone. I'll have a small piece of her cake (I won't tell them its WW until they've eaten it and said how delish it is).

How's that for planning?! I'll just have to imagine Howie's disapproval if I'm tempted to lick the mixers or cake batter bowl tomorrow.

Last edited by Jillegal; 05-13-2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:46 PM   #5  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I have dinner w/a friend tonight, then we are going shopping for party favors/decorations for a bachelorette party next weekend. *cough*

This friend is the 'biggest' in our circle of friends. I had dinner w/her a few nights ago & discovered she doesn't like tomatoes...so naturally I HAD to eat her 2 pieces of bruschetta she didn't want.

Last time we got together she was also telling me about a diet clinic here in Brookfield that she would pay $100/month to, for appetite suppressant injections once a week. Later in the night she asked me how much my gym membership cost & when I said $42/month, she said, "Oh, that's too much".

So tonight should be interesting. I have no idea where we're eating. I'm planning on a salad w/meat on it & a seltzer w/lime.

Tomorrow I meet w/the renal dietician, we are meeting @ Panera's which I loooove. I have already planned my meal: You Pick Two, which is half a salad or cuppa soup or half a sammich. I will be having a cup of lowfat chicken noodle soup, and half a seasonal salad they have called the chicken fruit something-or-other, with the dressing on the side.

I would much rather have the steak bistro salad, but I will have seltzer w/lime if they have it, if not, a plain water w/some lemons. I am not eating any of this in front of the dietician. She is a size 2. But she has the same kidney disease as me, so I feel she will best be able to help me come up with a program that will both help me put off my need for a transplant along with losing some weight along the way. I am looking very much forward to it, as she is the same dietician who will be speaking at the PKD Foundation's Annual Conference in California that I am going to in June.

Sunday is domestic chick day, I need to do laundry & get some cleaning done, and maybe some cooking & food prep. My melons should be ripe by then, so I will cut them up & put in bags, ready to grab & go for the week.

Jill, there is no law saying you have to eat anything you have prepared. I use such occasions to cook food I won't touch, such as ham steaks, beets, and cheesecake. I wish you luck this weekend, it's HARD to eat healthy when you're the only one doing so.

Howie, I commend you & Kimberley for a treat-free weekend. After the few days I've had, I think I need a treat free weekend as well.

PeachGirl, Good luck!!!

Good luck to everyone!
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 01:11 AM   #6  
Born Loser

Friday is down and was on plan. Boy that all sounds wonderful Jill. Maybe you need some help staying on plan. I should come up there and make sure you are doing good.

Good luck with your dinners SPF sounds like you have a good plan in place.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:39 PM   #7  

So far so good, yesterday could have been dangerous, as your missus knows already, Howies as I was talking about this on another thread. We went to a friends house for pre dinner drinks. I told myself I was going to have "just one small glass of wine" - I can normally take or leave drink, but in the company of these friends, the old me would have had a whole bottle. Well the wine had sulphites in it, unbeknownst to me, and I am allergic, I came out in red blotches, got hot, started wheezing, so it literally was only the one glass of wine and onto the water!!!

I have done plenty of walking and swimming and a bit of gym work this weekend, and only got Sunday to go, then back to work Monday, boo!!!! I have already written out my workout plan for the week (I normally do this Sunday night but thought I would get pro active)

Oh and I just watched the boxing, and our boy, Amir Khan beat his opponent Kinderlan of Cuba, and now he's gone professional, an exciting day!!! (not sure quite how this genteel girl turned into a boxing fan)

Good luck with the baking Jill. I find it really hard not to lick the beaters or dip my finger in the frosting...... You're made of stronger stuff than me.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 07:53 PM   #8  
Crazy Canuck

Whew - 8pm and my eating's done for the day! Had to use a few flex points, but that's what they're for and I still have plenty left over for tomorrow if I need them!

I did succumb to a bit of frosting, Kykaree, but I figure it wasn't any more than 2 points worth, so even though substituting frosting for my planned banana isn't something I should make a habit of, I don't think I'll perish from lack of potassium because of it!

SAPF, hope your meeting went well with the renal dietician (and can I come to California with you, pretty please?)

Good luck with your "treat free" weekend, Howie and Kimberley (halfway there!) As for you, Peachgirl, I'm doing my best to provide you with a good weekend report, so I want to hear that you had a weekend that goes as well as your weekdays - you can do it, girl!
Old 05-15-2005, 02:34 AM   #9  
Born Loser

We went to a chinese buffet tonight. I made good choice and had seafood and veggies. However I am probably a couple hundred calories over. Plus we had a salad latter because we ate dinner so early. But good choice all around and no stuffing ourselves. Good job Jill and Krkaree.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:00 AM   #10  
Just Peachy

My saturday report:
Exercise: I went out Saturday morning for a 45 minute walk, I usually don't do any exercise on the weekends, so this was pretty good for me
My calories were pretty close, I went over when I ate an apple last night for a late night snack. But I can forgive myself for that.

Now to just get thru Sunday....
PeachGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 12:46 PM   #11  
Born Loser

I forgot I did get some exercise Yesterday. I went swimming for an hour. After adding up the calories it looks like I did have a treat night after all. I was 600 over and that is what I allow on treat nights. So I should still lose this week I was just trying to punish myself for last weeks mess up. Guess that's not a reall healthy way of going about it anyway.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:08 PM   #12  

Ummm Jill????? I've been sitting by the mailbox waiting for the leftover cake to arrive, when should I expect it? WTG Guys, you are all doing well this weekend.
Inca's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 02:13 PM   #13  

I am doing really well on the healthy eating this weekend. Have joined WW on-line, educated myself on their no-count (UK)/core (US) programme, and am finding it really helpful. Went swimming twice, and thought about doing the garden.......if only thinking about it would get it done!

Jill - I do not know how you find that kind of will-power......I doubt that I could!

Howie - I am more into carrots than sticks myself.....I have been struggling in mind with some recent gains, and I don't think the 'punishment' thing works, just have to find a way to forgive yourself and move on!
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 04:28 PM   #14  
Crazy Canuck

Punishment for past indiscretions is a useless endeavour Howie (otherwise I would have to starve myself for a month because of Russia!) As long as your "treat" fits into your plan and doesn't mess up the scale readings, then I don't have a problem with it (and that's all that counts, right?)

Well, Inca, you'll be waiting by your mailbox for a long time, because there's not going to be any cake coming your way! My dd dropped by and I sent her home with a plateful for her and hubby, I took a plateful over to my parents and there's just enough for everyone to have a piece after dinner tonight (including me - and boy I've been looking forward to it all day). I've planned the disposition of the cake so well I don't even think they'll be enough for lunch boxes (poor dears)

Good work, artist and PeachGirl, eats and exercise both looking good (and I absolutely refuse to slap anyone with a wet noodle for having "gone over" by eating an apple!)

I figure once I've finished dinner I won't be tempted to eat anything else for the rest of the night because I'll have the 3hr. Survivor finale to concentrate on...wish they'd accept Canadian applications cuz I'd go on that show in a flash!!

P.S. - Hope your blotches have cleared up, kykaree!
Old 05-15-2005, 10:51 PM   #15  
Born Loser

We are just getting ready to watch here. We taped it so we could watch when we got home tonight. Also so we can fast forward the comercials.