Old 05-12-2005, 12:16 AM   #1  
Live for the Moment!

Talking Oprah's "Lose Weight this Summer"

Ladies,

Just wanted to give you the heads up that tomorrow's (Thursday's) Oprah is all about Weight Loss as well as a boot-camp follow up!

Thought I'd put out the reminder as those shows are always a great motivational boost, not to mention a lot of new ideas!

Enjoy,
Celina
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:40 AM   #2  

Thanks for the update. I hear people chatting about Oprah and Phil's weight loss shows and it seems like they are always on the days I am working. Do you know if they schedule them for a certain week day or is it just at random?

I am off tomorrow and I am going to catch this show, thank you for letting us know about it. We'll have to discuss the show tomorrow.

Cheers,
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:44 AM   #3  
Live for the Moment!

I'm always working for Oprah and Dr. Phil too however this week I've been working 8am-4pm so I'm home at 4:30pm and get to catch the last 1/2 hour of Dr. Phil then the late Oprah at 5pm!

It seems that they're always on at random...However, I really wish there was a channel that played these shows in the evening so all of us working folks could enjoy!

Will definetly check in tomorrow to discuss...
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:10 AM   #4  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Thanks Celina. I just set the VCR so I can watch when I get home tomorrow night.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:45 AM   #5  
Devilish Little Thing

S/C/G: 246/ticker/145

Height: 5ft5

You might want to check with tvguide.com because I have a channel here that repeats the afternoon (4pm for me) Oprah at 8pm.
willowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:02 PM   #6  
missaprylj

I just watched it! I really like what she has to say on some of the things....

But I don't really believe in the "south beach" or "atkins" type stuff, and it basically sounds like she's doing SB. (No "white stuff.) Also, who honestly does 300 crunches a day? Anywhoo.... it was a good show.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:24 PM   #7  
Jumping on the WL Train!

*LoL*
I thought the same!!

Her plan sounds a lot like South Beach to me... and 300 crunches? At this point I don't see that happening in my life!! Although props to her for it working!!

I loved the show though, if nothing else it was inspirational!
Happy Housewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:41 PM   #8  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I do 60 a day I could not imagine doing 300. I'm even behind on 60 a day. Looking forward to watching when I get home.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:52 PM   #9  

You can do a million crunches a day, but it they are not done correctly, they will not be effective. You cannot spot reduce and if you do have that siz pack, it is only a superficial high, not an indicator of core strength.

A simple way to describe one effective techinique is to lay flat and pretend to suck in your gut...think of it as zipping up a really tight pair of jeans. Hold that contraction then do your crunch. The isometric contraction that stabilizes the spine is the crutial part and almost always overlooked.
ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:17 AM   #10  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

As my trainer once told me, "If you're doing 125 crunches per session, then you're doing them wrong."
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:06 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I used to do 150 crunches every morning, and then we did pushups too. They were supervised, so I'm pretty sure I was doing them right. I think it's possible.. I missed the show... anyone wanna give me highlights? I could use any kinds of tips!!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:34 AM   #12  
I believe in Futures

Read these articles. They're interesting and pretty much sums up a lot of the topics she talked about on todays show:

http://www2.oprah.com/presents/2005/...oprah_qa.jhtml
purplebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:39 AM   #13  

I wonder if they are going to compile Oprah`s segments onto DVD?

Does anyone know?
Digital Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:34 AM   #14  

I watched the Program and I thought it was very good. Oprah just discusses the basics. I didn't pick up South Beach, instead, I think Oprah discusses keeping blood sugars regulated and even describes it as treating herself like a diabetic. I think, for me, that is paramount. Any of us with significant weight to lose are not going to have the most efficient insulin system and are going to be compromised even if the blood work doesn't initially show it. I, for one, am more resistant. So, eating closer to a diabetic diet will regulate those hormones and make weight loss a little easier (coupled with the exercise and watching portions). I liked the show and thought it was inspirational and gave a good message - this isn't easy, there are no quick fixes and one must eat properly and exercise in order to lose weight and continue with the plan once at a desired weight in order to keep it off. As for the crunches, not my area of expertise but Oprah certainly has the money to have the best of the best and I would think they wouldn't be leading her astray with her exercise routine. Regardless of money, she has still had to do the work and in the end is the one responsible for what she puts in her body and how she works out and for how long. She may have her "brother" to assist her but no amount of money can control ones desires for the wrong things - she has made many changes and I think it is wonderful how she has kept her weight off. She looks healthy and obviously feels great. Isn't that wonderful?
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 10:03 AM   #15  
Crazy Canuck

Welcome back, Jenaya!

I get a little teed off when people say its so much easier for Oprah because of her money. Of course she's able to afford a round the clock trainer if she wishes and a cook to prepare her meals, but they can't do the exercise for her or control her total food intake. I would imagine she's invited to more dinners, events and parties in a month than we are in a year - talk about temptation. Also, the pressure of being in the spotlight must be oppressive. When we lose or gain a few pounds we don't have to read about it in the snarky gossip columns.

Truthfully, I'm not the biggest Oprah fan in the world when it comes to her television persona - I rarely watch her show and I find some of her agendas laughable, but I do identify with her on the weight front, am happy for her success and feel she's a great role model in the health dept.

Remember when she lost all that weight and came out wearing the size 10 jeans (years and years ago)? She looked terrible! Her eyes were sunken and her body looked shrivelled. Then we found out she accomplished it following a dangerous liquid diet. Naturally she gained it all back (and more) quickly. Man, I felt for her. This time she's done it the healthy and lasting way and looks fabulous! What better way to promote good eating and exercise to the public than to present a wonderful visual like that!

Didn't see the show, will keep following my own plan, and couldn't do 300 crunches daily to save my life - but I applaud her effort and results!

Last edited by Jillegal; 05-13-2005 at 10:06 AM.
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote