Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-11-2005, 02:07 PM   #1  

Default very in need of support

i recently was taken off the atkins diet by my doctor. (seems high cholesterol runs in my family and even though i was smart and careful- i'm still alittle high.) i've now been on a 1550 cal plan, put together by a nutritionist for about two and a half weeks and i've gained 10 back of the thirty pounds i lost. i'm so disheartened that after all my work- and keeping off that 30, i'm back up. i had plateaued on atkins, so i was already a little discouraged to begin with! at the moment, i'm feeling realy bad about myself and i'm feeling realy bad about this diet plan. i'm wondering if you all have any suggestions for me. it's been really tough readjusting my thinking, having cheerios in the morning ( i just couldn't do the bagel she had suggested!) and eating carbs here and there. and i feel like i'm falling backwards. i still have about 30 to lose (was 20) and i'm at my wit's end. i'm a serious chocohlic, too- and i've been SOOO good, but this discouraging phase is making it easy to slip into- "well i'm gaining anyway, i might as well enjoy it", you know? please send help!! thank you so much foe listening to me whine!
magpiefound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 02:22 PM   #2  
Bye bye baby weight!!

S/C/G: 242/233/150

Height: 5'5"

Don't ever feel like you are whining!! Hang in there!!! It's pretty normal to gain some weight back when you bring carbs back into the mix. But your body will even itself out soon. The fact that a professional made up a nutrition plan for you is awesome! Are you exercising at all? I know that adding some strength training to my cardio schedule definitely gave my metabolism the jump start I needed. Just because you are a cholcoholic doesn't mean that you won't succeed!! When you have a craving, instead of eating a whole candybar or a whole bag of m&ms, just eat a square of chocolate or 2 m&ms. It works for me I swear!! I have a bag of m&ms in my desk that I have been whittling away at for almost 3 weeks. I am a super chocoholic but I've taken control of my habit and myself. All I need is the taste and I'm good to go. I don't deny myself anything but if I truly feel that I want to eat something that isn't so good for me, I have a very small serving of it. For me it's all about moderation. Don't give up!! You will do it!! We will all succeed!!!
leannealise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 02:23 PM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Yabbut, you haven't gained back 30. So just because you've gained back a portion of it is no reason to throw in the towel and make sure you gain it all back. Sometimes you might gain with the adjustment or change to a diet. Are you exercising? Regular exercise could give a boost to the meal plan and help you to lose again. Also speak with the doctor who put you on this plan and let them know you're gaining again. It could also be the thyroid meds causing the gain and not the diet. Your doctor could tell you what may be causing the gain and give you some suggestions or make adjustments.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 02:28 PM   #4  

As far as the food cravings go, I have one free day a week. I eat what I want, when I want and it gets it out of my system.
I also really believe in building muscle to help burn those calories. Muscle burns fat, and fat just hangs around (on hips, under arms...etc).:-) Anyway, I got my basal metabolic rate checked and found that I burn 1900 calories per day. So if I cut back on calories and workout to burn some more, it comes out as regular fat loss...
So far, I'm down 28 lbs and over 25 inches...
I know that the emotions of a day can cause temptation, but I just tell myself that free day isn't today and I'll feel better after my workout....Best wishes!!!!
maggie2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 03:53 PM   #5  

Default thank you so much!!

it's tough to hang in there sometimes, when it's just not coming off. i figured i would gain a few pounds putting hte carbs back in- but not ten, you know? well, i'm seeing the nutritionist again in a few weeks, so if by then it hasn't turned around, i guess we'll come up with a different solution. good idea to get the metabolic rate checked- how do i do that? information is power and that'll help me mentally! and i just got a bike, so for the summer that shoudl be a great way to get some kind of a boost. thanks again - i'm looking forward to losing here with you all! this is a great site.
magpiefound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 03:54 PM   #6  

Don't forget that the reason you are changing your eating is to improve your health --

It helps me to focus on getting healthy, not on losing weight. It makes sense that your weight will fluctuate at the beginning of new eating habits. Give yourself time, you are worth it.
Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 04:02 PM   #7  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkredondo
Don't forget that the reason you are changing your eating is to improve your health --

It helps me to focus on getting healthy, not on losing weight. It makes sense that your weight will fluctuate at the beginning of new eating habits. Give yourself time, you are worth it.
Good point. I'm trying to focus on eating healthy stuff and getting fit. It seems that a weight loss is an inevitable part of that, and I'm certainly not complaining, but at the end of the day if I stay the same weight but get fitter I'll still have improved my health in some way. It doesn't matter how long it takes, you're doing something great and you will feel the benefits.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 07:21 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Default Mrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkredondo
I've been on diet after diet to lose weight. I started this change in my life because I was all out of breath over tying my shoes, and realized how unhealthy I was. I just wanted to live longer than I knew I was going to at the rate I was going...and wanted to be healthy in doing it. I didn't want to end up with aches and pains into my old age that keep me down and dependent on others to take care of me.

So when I found out that I was pregnant, I kinda gave up...for a few weeks. Then I remembered what I'd started for. Pregnant or not, gaining or not...I STILL want to be healthy. And an even better reason to continue is keeping the baby healthy. So I eased back into my exercises and cut the junk food back out that I'd started adding back in. I just considered it a free time and a treat and now I'm back on track.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:34 AM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

maggie2005--how did you get your basal metabolic rate checked? I check all kinds of calculators and charts online and such, but they all vary by so much--apparently, I may be burning between 1800 and 3500 calories a day So yeah, those calculators aren't very much help. Some sources say multiply your weight by 9, some say 10, some even say 11 (I'm 300 pounds, and I'm pretty sure if I ate 3300 calories a day, I would be gaining weight, even when I exercise regularly!). Getting my basal metabolic rate checked would be awesome if you (or anyone else!) could let me know how they do so. Thanks!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:20 AM   #10  
Jessica

Question support

Hi! I'm new to this website and I don't really know how it works, or where to start. I started my diet today, and have 50lbs to lose. I'm a new mother of a 2 month old, so finding time to exercise is VERY difficult. If anyone could let me know how to check if anyone has replied to my post, or a certain forum that would be best for me....I want to find a place I belong...lol.
jess81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:11 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

magpie-
Don't be discouraged. Part of the weight you gained back after stopping Atkins is water from the drastic diet change. I personally am NOT an Atkins advocate-I think it can be a very unhealthy way of eating. My main thing with Atkins is that I agree that you should eat adaquate protein and that SOME carbs should be cut down on (white flour, sugar, etc.) but not all of them-such as fruits, whole grains, and so on. I also believe that the protein should come from leaner cuts such as fish, poultry, and lean beef-and not cheese and bacon. When people ask me about reduced carb plans-I tend to recommend South Beach instead. (It requires LEAN cuts of meat-no bacon, regular hamburger, etc. and allows healthy carbs like fruit, nuts, etc.) I just feel that for low carb-it is healthier than Atkins.

I do think that a more rounded, reduced calorie eating plan is the way to go for you. I think the most important thing for anyone on a weight loss journey is mindset. I think we all should stop thinking in terms of "diet" and think "lifestyle".

I was looking on Ebay the other day, and saw an auction for some exercise videos that I wanted-and the person said "I hit my goal weight, so I don't need these any more!" We'll just see about that in a couple of months. Lifestyle change, lifestyle change!!!!

To lose the weight and keep it off-we have to change our lifestyles. We have to follow an eating plan we can stick to for life, and we have to continue to exercise regularly even after reaching our goal if we want to keep it off. It isn't just about being thin-it's about being fit and healthy.

A "diet" starts and stops. When we stop a diet, the weight will return. If we stop working out, the weight will return. A new lifestyle change is what it is all about.

The nutritionist is teaching you a way to eat that you can do healthfully for life. Trust her on this. Don't be discouraged, you are going to be just fine!!!!

jess-welcome to the forum! The forum is split up here into categories-Support, Exercise, Recipes, and other various categories. You can post anywhere you want to-but try to keep your posts relative to the part of the forum you are posting in. It will become easier after a while. There are some parts of the forum for specific eating plans-Weight Watchers, Atkins, South Beach, and so forth. If you don't see the plan you are following-go to general diet plans and there are plans listed there as well such as calorie counters (me!!!), LAWL, Jenny Craig, Eating For Life, and others.

Welcome!
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote