Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-09-2005, 08:01 AM   #1  
Ilene the Bean

Cool Cool Runners #5 - May 9-15...

No running for me today... Working LEGS

How 'bout everyone else??
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:51 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

I tried to run yesterday, I really did, but it just didn't happen--hip and lower back pain intervened. Ended up walking a couple miles. I'm on travel for a couple days so I'll try again when I get back. Today is sitting day for me, in my office & on the airplane.

I found myself really missing my bike yesterday. I would have killed to go out for a 3 hr / 50 mi ride, working hard, sweating it up and swilling liters of gatorade. Too much for the baby though.

Only, Congrats on your half! I know the time isn't what you wanted, but when you look at everything you've been doing lately, you did a fantastic job!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:20 AM   #3  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

You all are such an inspiration to me! This morning I ran almost 6K (3.66 miles) again, beating my previous time! This time was 42:30, and I did the first 1.7 miles in 18 minutes, which means somewhere in there I ran a mile in under 11 minutes!! (I've never done a mile under 11 minutes in my life, that I can remember!) I guess I slowed down a lot for the remainder though, I kind of run out of steam after about 2 miles.

Hope everyone is getting some good runs in!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

I am back in the game. Ran yesterday afternoon instead of in the morning. The heat totally got me but I'm just so happy to be back. Unfortunately after not being able to run most of April I can't make if very far-about 4k before I have to start doing intervals. Going to run again today and do upper body.

paperclippy-Congrats! You are doing great with your running and always seem to be topping yourself. Very inspirational.

SJ
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:57 AM   #5  

Default Need some wisdom

Morning Coolies - I am getting ready for my run - 25 minuters today. Sat will be 4 miles and I can't believe how excited I am by all this. I like the way the DCFit builds up the miles slowly. I believe I will be able to run a marathon by the end of the fall (even though I am thinking of December)

I do have a question on how much and rest days. DCFit has me running 4 days a week. In addition I lift 3 days a week, take yoga 2 days a week, and a couple of weekly classes. So, here is what my schedule looks like - the question is: should I be adding in two days of walking or elliptical for cross training? What do they mean by cross training, anyway?

Mon - lift and run
Tues - yoga and run
Wed - lift and "Buns and Thighs" 30 min class
Thurs - yoga and run
Fri - lift and 45 min Pilates Mat class
Sat - long run
Sun - off

Thanks for the advice.
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:27 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Ellen -- I am by no means 'wise' when it comes to running, although I may be a 'wise'a$$ ...Anyways, , I think cross-training means adding different things like hiking, walking, I'm sure elliptical would fit in there too... Wow your training program seems pretty heavy, but if you don't go into over training problems and it works for you I say go for it...
Old 05-10-2005, 09:27 AM   #7  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Ellen - I think "cross-training" probably refers to activities that work different muscles than the ones you usually use. Since you run, I would guess (but obviously I'm no expert) that cross-training could involve cycling, climbing, roller-blading, aerobics, or playing sports. A while ago I spent one day playing 30 minutes of basketball, and it sure worked my legs in different ways than running! Good luck with the training!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling better about my time, etc. now. And I was kind of glad that my legs wouldn't completely cooperate with me by Sunday night when I was carrying multiple loads of clothing, dishes, etc. up a more than one storey flight of stairs. Even the next day my muscles weren't sore!

Another busy week with house renovations, but I'll be able to squeeze in a run tomorrow am if I can force myself out of bed early enough to accomodate dh and ds's schedules. I must be insane because I've already registered for a 10k on June 4th. I think it's a mostly downhill course, but I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. I'll probably head out to the general area in the next couple of weekends to see for myself. Yesterday my only exercise was walking ds to school and back 3X (dh picked him up once). Although that's probably 5k total, 1/2 fairly quickly and all of it pushing the stroller. And arranging things in this apt (can I count that as my weight lifting?).

Anne, I managed riding my bike until about 20 weeks with my last pregnancy before baby got in the way, but I was just slowly riding around the city with dh who was pulling the bike trailer on his bike, so no where near your level. And walking's good too. Remember that you're carrying around an extra person and all his/her baggage all the time.

Paperclippy, it sounds like you're getting stronger all the time!

ellen, they probably mean some sort of aerobic exercise by cross training--walking, swimming, elliptical, biking, etc. But ask the next session you go to, because your schedule looks pretty full to me already.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:07 AM   #9  

Only- I definitely think working on the apartment should count. I was doing house work a couple weeks ago getting ready to sell (mostly moving furniture and painting) and I kept waking up sore! Hmm-maybe I need to start lifting weights more regularly...

Not doing bad this week. Managed to run Sunday and yesterday, and lift yesterday as well. Hopefully can get out for a run again today.

Sj
Old 05-11-2005, 11:15 AM   #10  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

i've been somewhat sedentry for a while due to an injury list like an encyclopedia the furthest i ever ran was a bout 2 years i did 10k in just over and hour. well due to bad knees neck shoulder dislocated ankles and lazyiness i've not done much but i've decided to run a half marathon which sounds bad untill i say its in about 13months so nice and easy to get into i been running about 1500m every other morning on the teadmill uphill (helps stop bloody shin splints) but as i have both of my ankles heavily strapped and with my new trainers my feet ache a bit but its starting to go. i figured if i did it for charity it would motivate me to train
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 03:48 PM   #11  
Athlete in Training

Hi all,

I'm onboard with all of you who are taking it slow. My last marathon didn't go so well (I ended up just doing the half) because my training wasn't what it should have been and I was recovering from a stress fracture in the foot.

Ellen, you have got quite a schedule there! I'm also planning a marathon toward the end of the year (Nov), but I'm doing a different training program --- www.jeffgalloway.com. I know how exciting it is to start adding some miles. Congrats on getting to 4 -- it won't be long before you're doing 10 and it doesn't feel like a lot.

I have asthma and it is a limiting factor right now. I can only run about 100 yards and I have to walk to catch my breath before doing another 100 yards. I'm hoping that doing these intervals helps my breathing so I can run about half the marathon. (I'm planning to run / walk the marathon.)

I think that losing significant weight will help my breathing as well. Is anyone else asthmatic? Any tips?

Thanks --
Monkeypoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 05:47 PM   #12  

Thanks for all the responses. I am thinking seriously of letting the Buns and Thighs class go - third week I have come out of the class and training session exhausted and starving for the rest of the day. Trainer suggested moving our session to the afternoon, but my immediate reaction is "no". Next week I have a doctor's appointment during the class time so that will give me time to think. The problem is I really like the B&T instructor and don't want to disappoint him. Boy, does that ever sound lame, even in my head. I really need to think on this some more.

Terry - good luck with the Galloway program. I looked into that one, too, but DCFit was more convenient and less money, so that summed it up for me.

SJ - moving probably counts double I did it 16 years ago and said "never again".

Thank you all for posting your trials and tribulations - it makes me feel better that I am not in this alone or so far behind the curve. Have a great day.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:59 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkredondo
Hi Everyone,
Ilene, I hope you get this message because I want to thank you for your advice regarding interval training.
Fartlek is an entirely new concept for me and I was amazed to find so much helpful information when I Googled it. I feel like a kid in a candy store.

To everyone else. Your messages continue to inspire me....Thank you!
I'm so happy the forum and I could be of help, that's what we're here for... I love to Google, I Google full questions like ''What is fartlek?'' I thought that just can't be a real word , oh but it was, what great information I got out of that search ...
Old 05-13-2005, 01:57 PM   #14  

Hi everyone. I just found out today I passed the State Bar Exam! Needless to say this in not the best day for diet and excercise. Kind of planned for it. Hoping the day was coming and knew I would be off plan celebrating, but back in the game tomorrow! And very excited...maybe I can carry that over and spend some excess energy running tomorrow! For now off to celebrate!

SJ
Old 05-13-2005, 04:54 PM   #15  

Way to go SJ!! Party hard tonight and come right back tomorrow and tell us how it was. I'll lift a Deer Park to you! Boy, that was a lot of hard work and a major achievment. You sohuld be very proud of yourself. I am.