Old 05-09-2005, 05:24 PM   #1  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Question Can anyone relate to this?

I started this journey again on April 15th, so about three weeks ago
I've done really well and am proud of my progress (7 pounds in 3 weeks )

Most days I have done well, but I'm having a hard time meeting my nutrient goals (on fitday)

I'd say about four days out of these three weeks I have "saved up" calories through the day, in order to have my weakness (chips) in the evening. I know I haven't gone over my calorie goal on those days, but I still feel this guilt about wasting my calories on something that's not good for me.

Meeting my nutrient goals is hard in general..a real balance trying to figure out how to get all that into 1400-1500 calories I'm going to start taking a multivitamin.

So, I suppose my question is, does anyone else struggle (or did in the beginning) with making the right choices within your calorie range?
And do you have any ideas/recipes whatever for major nutrition packed into a low calorie plan?

All of your input is soo valuable to me, I look forward to your replies

Thanks,
Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 05:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

You should be proud of your progess! WTG!

Have you thought about baking your own chips? I know they're not the same as "real" potato chips, but they're much better for you. Or substituting veggie chips or apple chips?

When I was on the WW flex program, I spent a lot of points on snack and processed foods to the detriment of eating healthy foods. When I started the Core plan, I started eating much better, getting the dairy in, and all the fruits and vegetables, and increasing my fiber. I really like the idea of not eating so much processed stuff, and I can get a lot of food for around 1500 calories. What I ate today was 1460 calories according to Fitday, and very filling.

1 Tbl. ff cottage cheese
1 egg
1/2 whole wheat English muffin
1 tsp. light margarine

2 TJ's veggie enchiladas
salad w/ 1 Tbl. lite balsamic vinagrette dressing and .7 oz. cheddar

WW smoothie w/frozen banana and strawberries

Turkish Chicken Thighs (2)
salad w/ 1 Tbl. lite balsamic vinagrette dressing
small potato w/2 Tbl. FF sour cream
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 05:42 PM   #3  

You are right that trading nourishing calories for junk isn't the best idea, even if you are staying within your calorie range. Try to let go of some of the guilt, though, because negative emotion is never helpful.

As for practical ideas, yes, taking a multi is a must when you're eating less than 1800-2000 calories a day, so you're smart to us the fitday information to figure that out.

And ... as for how to deal with the junk, I can only tell you what works for me. There are two issues here that I dealt with. First, the cravings for specific foods. As a compulsive overeater, I found that it was best to not have those foods AT ALL, at least for a while. If I eat those foods, I only want more of them. However, if I don't allow myself ANY, then the craving dries up. After a while, I find they're just not that appealing any more, at least most of the time. I really think that when you are trying to let go of these old habits, "cold turkey" is sometimes the best way to go in order to starve off those old wants and desires. Continuing to eat them often just keeps the desire alive.

Second, I have found that it's crucial for me to have a specific eating plan. At first I sat down each night and planned out EXACTLY what I was going to eat the next day -- what specific foods in what specific amounts. This took some of the whim out of food choices; I knew that if it wasn't on my list, it wasn't going into my mouth. I've been doing this so long, though, that now I have a "template" I work with. I may choose foods on a more spur-of-the-moment basis, but they still must fit within my template. So, for example breakfast is 2 starch exchanges and a milk exchange. Lunch is 2 starches, 2 or 3 proteins, a vegetable or two, and a fruit. Mid-afternoon is another fruit and/or yogurt. Etc. So, you might try planning your menu each day for the next day, and go ahead and enter into fitday what you PLAN to eat. I do this when I'm feeling vulnerable, and it really does help keep me in line. If I've already entered healthy choices, I feel more obligated to stick to them.

Third, GET THE CHIPS OUT OF THE HOUSE. You can't eat 'em if they're not there.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 05:53 PM   #4  
Linda

Thank you Sheila and Funniegrrl!

You're right that you can't eat 'em if they're not in the house...those were days I planned to have them and bought them specifically for that day

Generally, especially now..there's no junk in the house

Thanks again for the ideas!

Linda
Old 05-09-2005, 06:04 PM   #5  

I'm glad you mentioned buying the chips for a planned use ... I've found I have to be really careful with that. It's CERTAINLY OK to have a little indulgence now and then, but (again, as a compulsive) I've learned I just can't have multi-serve packages in the house, even of some "diet" foods. For example, Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches are great, and I could certainly use one any given day as part of my starch allottment. However, I will eat the whole package in 2 days if there's an open one in my freezer. Same with cereal -- I love cereal for breakfast, but I've learned to buy only cereals I like MODERATELY well, not the ones I really like. If there's a box of Kashi GoLean Crunch in the cabinet, it's Just Not Safe. The regular GoLean is fine but doesn't inspire cravings, so I buy that instead, even though I don't like it as much.

So, I've found that if I really have decided to work a treat into my plan, I'm better off going out somewhere and having a single reasonable portion than buying a package to have at home. I've given up thinking that I "should" be able to have XYZ in the house and be able to resist it. Maybe one day I will, but until then, I do what I have to do to keep my hand OUT of the cookie jar (or chip bag, or cereal box, or ....).
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:17 PM   #6  
missaprylj

Right on, funniegrrl! I couldn't agree more.

And that brings up an interesting point. Try buying chips in the tiny little bags (and I mean 1 at a time, not a 30 pack, lol) Maybe once a week. That's only *about* 150 calories... so you can fit that in once a week, month, whatever.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:30 PM   #7  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by famograham
I'd say about four days out of these three weeks I have "saved up" calories through the day, in order to have my weakness (chips) in the evening. I know I haven't gone over my calorie goal on those days, but I still feel this guilt about wasting my calories on something that's not good for me.

So, I suppose my question is, does anyone else struggle (or did in the beginning) with making the right choices within your calorie range?
And do you have any ideas/recipes whatever for major nutrition packed into a low calorie plan?
Well, I haven't checked out your eating in the other thread, but I'm gonna answer this anyway.

I have to wonder if you didn't include the chips every now & then (4 times in 3 weeks is not that bad, it's almost a once-a-week treat), would you just binge on them out of nowhere one day? Or are you satisfied in the knowledge that you will, indeed, get to have them this week? You could try replacing them twice a month w/carrots or something else crunchy & just having the chips every other week? That is up to you.

I think everyone should have a multivitamin, dieting or not. It couldn't hurt.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:59 PM   #8  

You have done so well with your weight loss - way to go! It is hard having things that are your nemesis in the house. I do not keep chips in my house. I have replaced chips with pretzels (dipped in salsa - they are good to my taste buds), baked tortilla chips with light mozza and salsa and triscuit crackers with light mozza and salsa. If it is a real snack attack - then air-popped popcorn with butter is the answer (light on the butter and salt) but they have to be planned for and in proper proportions. For myself, I have rethought my connection with chips - they really aren't all that good for my body and my heart is much happier with lower fat, higher fibre goods. When I started thinking of it in terms of health, I slowly changed what I ate and why. When it is a choice, for myself I then do not feel deprived. Also, I have a Friday night rule. If I am absolutely craving something and have to have it - Friday night is the night. It is after a nutritious supper and it may not be within the days calorie limit but my Doctor recommended a once a week treat night helped her lose 40 lbs. and you know what - it works. As for vitamins - it is a tiny form of health insurance and can't hurt so why not! Keep going you are doing well.

Jenaya

297/277.5/160
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:31 PM   #9  
Linda

It's funny you should say that Jenaya!
My night is Thursday, and I do the same thing. Each of those chip nights was a Thursday, and within calorie limits

All of your alternatives sound good too!

SPF, to answer your question yes, I'm fine knowing I'll have chips on Thursday, and yes again...if I try to cut them out completely it always leads to a massive, tummy hurting, icky feeling binge! White Cheddar ricecakes are a very close second for me, I love them but always eat too many, haven't had any since starting again though

Thanks,
Linda
Old 05-10-2005, 01:43 AM   #10  

I am not doing any specific plan, but like Weight Watchers and some of the others, I see vegetables as basically free. Once you think of them as being free, they become a bit more appealing. Gardenwife put it really well a few weeks ago, and I paraphrase here but she said that she loves a bargain. When she is looking at calories she approaches it the same way as money, and what is going to give her the best value. Once you look at it like that, it seems a lot easier to eat fruit and veggies.

I aim for 7 fuit and veggies a day, two fruit and the rest veg. And chips don't count!!!! LOL

At first I did the substitution thing, I ate rice cakes or baked Seasons instead of crisps (that's what we call them in the UK) but even at 100 calories a packet, it was 100 calories that I could spend on something with more nutritional value (and something I like more - like fruit salad)

I have eradicated junk from the house too. I can o/d on on-plan food as well, and am finding this week particularly challenging, as I am on a week off but staying home. So far so good!!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:23 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

I'll throw my opinion in. We had this type of discussion some time ago on "is a calorie a calorie or is one calorie better than another calorie" type session.

I makes sense that some foods are better than others so you should go with the healthy choice for use of your calories. I support that.

BUT.. I lost my weight by eating healthy choices throughout the day, limiting my calories, using more food for the buck like veggies and low cal stuff so after dinner, I could have a treat. I'd save about 120 calories so I could have a small ice cream cone from the DQ or a cookie-- I have a sweet tooth! I lost weight doing that. It's all about self control. If you can save calories and control your "bad" eating, then go ahead. This change you are making is a life change and you can't expect to go through life without any "treats". Be careful in the beginning, you don't want to over indulge but as you progress and get adjusted to your new eating lifestyle, I think its A-OK to add in some treats, especially if you've saved the caloreis to do so!

Good luck, it looks like your off to a great start!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 11:31 AM   #12  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

I allow myself one meal per week to just enjoy. I don't worry about the calories at all. I find that I don't need a piece of pie, but if I truly want it, I will have it. That freedom makes this is the first time in over 10 years that I have been able to stay on my meal plan. And my weight is coming down fairly steadily. Perhaps you don't need the chips physically, but if eating them enables you to stay on plan the rest of the time, you may well NEED them emotionally, at least until your weight loss builds courage to leave them aside. Just don't let the emotional needs take over the whole plan.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:55 PM   #13  
Linda

Thank you so much everyone, I'm enjoying this thread immensely...I knew I'd get great responses!

Linda
Old 05-10-2005, 01:41 PM   #14  
Losing 1/2 of Myself

S/C/G: 324/195/170

Height: 5'9"

For me personally chips were my major downfall. I could polish off a bag of Doritios no problem. I don't believe that you have to have 'self-control' because you will feel like a failure if you have a relapse. I truly have to make a real decision if I want to admit to having the contriband food. I don't allow chips in the house. I'll make my own corn chips with baked corn tortillas and have that with salsa. I made the decision to brainwash myself into believing that if I eat potato chips or doritos that I WILL throw it up. Same with fast food places. The smell of these foods alone makes me get stomach cramps. The power of your mind is truely amazing. This is what works for me. Others have a cheat day or cheat meal but I can't do that. I have to stick on plan all the time for fear of regressing to old habits. After about 2 weeks the worst of the cravings are over. I still have very brief urges for some things but unless I can make a low fat version of it at home, I simply don't have it and the urge goes away.
treefrogtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 03:36 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

I say whatever works for each person is best. No two bodies are the same, therefore, no two food plans should be either. Have FUN with this new exciting journey in your life. This is a lifestyle CHANGE. Make it the way You like. Good luck to everyone. All these responses are excellent and support to the fact that no two plans are exactly alike and they all work for us individually!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote