Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-08-2005, 08:25 PM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default STILL getting some of THOSE looks

maybe it'll motivate me to get cracking on the plastic surgery...

here's the deal... i did my very first organized 5K walk on saturday, with the dog. we finished dead last, after taking an hour. i didn't care one bit. ya need cartilage in your knees to move fast, and that just isn't happening...

but the runners - the ones who were seriously competing in the 10K gave me THAT LOOK - that up-and-down appraisal that ended with raised eyebrows.

yeah, i'm no fashion plate. the tummy will never be flat. they have no clue what i've done -and it's none of their business. yet, they are judging me, and i don't like it. not one bit.

need some major attitude adjustment here... but i'm not quite sure what to adjust TO... any thought?? <come on, i KNOW you have them!!!!>
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 10:02 PM   #2  

They're thinking: "That is ONE BEAUTIFUL BABE competing with her dog". Keep it up, sweetie. And CONGRATULATIONS on completing your first 5k!!!!!!!!!
Gladdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:45 AM   #3  

Height: 5'1"

My thoughts exactly! You should stand proud and feel proud for all that you've accomplished. Walking/Running a 5k marathon is no easy task! If you're still getting looks....well, give them looks back--one with a great big smile.

(hope you don't mind me popping in here....just wanted to say I'm proud of you! I have yet to run/walk a marathon....heck...not even a darn mile around the neighborhood!!)
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:01 AM   #4  

I am a little confused, why would they look at you strange?

Digital Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:33 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

ladies - i KNEW you'd have some wisdom.. and marti - trust me, this was no marathon!!!! just 3 miles [and a wee bit more]. there is no marathon in my future... thank goodness!!!!

and digital.. hmmm. well. it's like this. i have an enormous 'spare tire' that consists of about 15 pounds of excess skin. it's what's left of the nearly 300 pounds i've lost.

all in all, i have about 30 pounds of fat to lose, but this excess skin adds at least 2 pants sizes to all my clothes. so unless they know the whole story, people assume that i'm actually much much heavier than i am.

and since many people view seriously overweight people as less than human...

not everyone is kind...
Old 05-09-2005, 10:00 AM   #6  

Oh, I am sorry I just read that you had Gastric bypass Surg. Is having the sugery a downfall to having excess skin? Compared to losing it slowly? I know I am going off topic, sorry really. I have a friend who lost over 150lbs doing a typical diet, and she does not have any skin at all, but another friend who lost her weight more quicker and does have some excess skin?

Is this true...

Anyway, you sound like a champ, and you sound just awesome!!!
Old 05-09-2005, 12:28 PM   #7  

Jif,

I hope you don't mind me sticking my nose in here, but I read your messages on here, and on the SDP, and I have always really appreciated your insight.

You get the PS when you are darn good and ready, and not a minute before. Don't let some dumbass runners bother you with their looks. They have absolutely no clue about you, your life, your struggles, all that you have been through.

Rock on girl!
Hey Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:19 PM   #8  
she who must be obeyed

Jiff, congratulations on the 5K!!! and that is 3.2 miles, never forget it!!

As for the looks, I know the look to which you refer, not sure what to tell you about that, other than...........you should be darn proud of where you are today and don't forget it. A wise little birdie once told me (Haziefrog) "do they pay your mtg, do they put food on your table, if the answer is no, than "F" them" Sorry for the "F" but it just isn't the same without it.
debkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:31 PM   #9  

Hi Jiff, Congrats on your 5K, that's so awesome!!! I've found that in general you're going to get the looks no matter what you do. Fat or thin they're going to look. Be proud of yourself and in all the accomplishments that you've had and just let them look. With all of the encouragement and wonderful advice that you've given to everyone here you can tell what a beautiful person you are. You'll get your surgery when you're ready but in the mean time, let them look and be stong in the knowledge that they're looking at a much healthier, more self confident and very beautiful inside and I'm sure out women.
Megsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:59 AM   #10  

Hey Jiff!

I Just read your post, and realized that oh my gosh your story is so gosh darn familiar. I have lost almost 200 lbs. with only 40 more pounds to go to reach my surgery weight of 200 lbs. I am so extremely nervous. But, I have no choice. I have so much excess skin, it looks like I am melting. I get the same looks all the time. I think darn, 200 pounds lost and people are still viewing me as less than human. Some people are just plain mean!!!
LuvdBy3Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:45 PM   #11  

Is the extra skin from losing so fast? Would this be the downfall of having WLS?
Old 05-17-2005, 02:54 PM   #12  

I'm pretty sure that the extra skin is just from being heavy to begin with. My surgeon said that your skin only has so much elasticity and from being as heavy as most of us were/are it just won't go back. But I'm pretty sure in my case the skin on my legs would be this bad no matter what diet I lost 155 pounds on. So no, I don't think its a downfall of WLS.
Megsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:13 PM   #13  

Oh, the only reason why I mentioned it, is because I saw a friend who lost the weight without WLS and exercised as she lost and she is very tone to that of another friend who lost the same or near the same weight with WLS and has the extra skin?

I guess it is a case by case basis?

Thanks for the reply....
Old 05-17-2005, 03:27 PM   #14  
Old Cackler

it IS a case by case basis... and lots of things go into it. drinking enough water, taking your calcium, getting enough protein are all pieces. but the biggest ones are your age, and your genes.

exercise can get you to a certain point, but that's about it...
Old 05-17-2005, 03:31 PM   #15  

I guess it is not so cookie cutter? Thank you for letting me know! You look awesome by the way!