Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 12:14 AM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #50

G'day all,

Thought it was time we started a new thread but of course now I have not got the screen up with everyone's posts

I remember Glenda telling us she was happy with the make-up outcome but felt some things were a bit too subtle, better to add some more than to have it done all 'over the top' and it is there for good.
I am glad you are pleased with it so far.

It sure is amazing the amount of 'rubbish' one collects whilst on the net Ann. I regularly get rid of a heap and it never ceases to amaze me how much is there.

Our little Mattie is just soooo sweet. We called in yesterday, us and a 1000 others , she is all wrapped up like a little 'mummie', she looks like such a little poppet. DS told me that he had bathed her and that he had dressed her that morning. I have never seen him so happy and contented.
Mattie is passed to everyone and she just sleeps through it all.
I can remember when my children were born and I had visitors and I would say 'sorry but he is asleep at the moment and won't be fed for another 2 hours'. I sometimes 'allowed' the visitor to peek in the baby room but none of this passing around that is happening with Matilda. How times have changed.

I am enjoying being home but there is alot that I left in Sydney that I could do with here, all a bit frustrating. Pretty sick of having 2 places on the go.
The 22nd of June cannot come around quick enough for us to take EVERYTHING from Sydney back home again.

Some friends are coming around for a roast dinner tonight so I better get my skates on!

Hope everyone is well.....

Cheers
Maria
Old 05-05-2005, 10:10 AM   #2  
Web Nana

Good Morning!

MARIA: If you think you are enjoying your Mattie now, wait until you do your first stint of baby sitting. I remember when we had our first and DD left him with us for 4 hours. He was so small and it was sort of scary. We survived and I am sure you will, too!

ANN: I have cleaned out my cookies before and not lost the 3fc site. I have all my passwords etc in a little notebook in case that does happen.

Latest update on DH knee saga. Tuesday we went to an Orthopedic Doctor at Mass General Hospital. He took an exray (on Monday DH had an MRI done). Bottom line is that there is no deep vein blood clot but he has arthritis, a lot, and a tear in the miniscus of the knee. The combo had produced fluid and a Baker's Cyst behind the knee. He is taking an anti-inflamitory med which seems to be working but we don't know how long he can be on it. It does something to the kidneys. Dr. said to see how it goes with the meds and if the inflamation returns when he is through with it. He can't walk the dogs because if they were to pull him unexpectedly he could twist the knee and do more damage but he could do things like mow the lawn. If he has no problem he can continue but if he encounters a problem he should stop. He cut the lawn, front, yesterday and all seems well. If all else fails it means arthroscopy to repair the miniscus disc.

Other than that we have nothing new here. The Sun is out and I think I will go out and enjoy it.

Gloria
Old 05-05-2005, 04:18 PM   #3  

I'm in! Thank you all for reading my rant. I'm much better today and even a bit more tolerable. The gloomy weather we have been having didn't help much.

I was getting my scripts ready to send in to express scripts when i noticed the doctor had written 3 of them for the wrong dose. So had to call and get them straighted out and go pick up new ones. What a pain!

Glenda sorry you have go back for eyeliner. Are the eyesbrows ok. My friend Donna said it was the best thing she ever did for herself. So hang in there OK.

Have to go just wanted to let you know I'm back.

Karen
Old 05-05-2005, 11:25 PM   #4  
BJ3

Exclamation

Gloria, Tell your DH to think long & hard about the knee surgery. I started a year ago with a torn miniscus. After x-rays, 2 MRIs, a bone scan, a doppler x-ray and three orthopedic surgeons they decided I might have a turmor under my knee cap and I was very lucky to have a torn miniscus so they discovered it early and that I would either have knee surgery at the local cancer hospital with follow up treatment, or regular knee surgery. After they got in there, they discovered that it was only a ball of cartlidge and that I could live with what was left after the surgery. It took me a year of physical therapy in water etc. etc. etc. to get almost back to normal. I was in a wheelchair at first then crutches, then the physical therapy. It was a big pain! At least his doctor is starting with other treatment to try to alleviate the problem without surgery. If someone says knee surgery to me again I will run the other direction even if I have to do it on crutches!
Old 05-06-2005, 11:07 AM   #5  
Fun Blonde

Gloria, I am glad too your doctor is trying something besides surgery right away. My son has had arthroscopy and has had absolutely no trouble, so if it ends up to be a good option, it is not always a bad one. He was on crutches for just a few days. A reconstructive surgery is a much more involved surgery, but even that, you have to be able to walk to enjoy life. BJ3, doctors sure can make mistakes. I know. It took me forever to get an accurate diagnosis when I had ovarian cancer.

Karen, I am glad you are happier today. You have every right to rant once in awhile. But enjoy the sunshine.

Maria, yes things have changed since we had kids. I was not as protective as you were, but the amount of things it takes to care for a child is, in my opinion, a little over the top. But everyone swears they have to have all this stuff and then it is stored in a year. I think carseats are the biggest one change I can see. Ours were pretty unsafe and even laughable, but now they can withstand a hurricane. And I am so thankful for that safety. I know you are enjoying seeing your child become a father. That is one of the joys. Another is seeing your child become the responsible parent. My oldest was a little toot and now I see him dealing with his teenage little toot. I have to wipe that smile off occasionally.

RE: Makeup. I am so disappointed today. I need to call and get a peptalk. The lady says the lip color "blooms" in a week or so. Today it has disappeared. All this and it has disappeared! I will be back for heavier eyeliner and another go around with lip color. I am in a blue mood because of this. And I will get a little heavier eyebrow at the same time. I don't even know why I went in for the "consult" if she was going to do it the way she wanted.

Karen, this is my rant! You all have a great Mothers' Day!
Glenda
Old 05-06-2005, 06:33 PM   #6  
Member Florida Chick

Hi all:

Gloria: I had my password written down, but apparently they had changed it, and then discovered that they didn't have my email address right. they left out the 5 so then the password wouldn't work anyway. But now all is solved. Knee surgery is no fun, and only as a last resort, i would think

Glenda; So sorry you are feeling disappointment in the results of your permanent makeup. Hopefully you will 'bloom' in the week, as she says. It is enjoyable to see your kids become responsible parents, and to hear them saying some of the same things to their kids, that you used to say to them. And i can remember my DD saying, I'll never say that to my kids.:

Slavika: Hope this week hasn't been too bad for you all. I know you have been busy with all that chemo treatments entail. God bless.

Soon will be picked up to go line dancing, so Hi everyone and I'll get back later. Ann
Old 05-06-2005, 09:39 PM   #7  

It was a beautiful Florida day. Was able to get out and walk several times with Sprout. He always has such a good time must lift that leg on every blade of grass. Sometimes he has to squeeze real had to get a drop out. We laugh at him.

Ann we went with Adelphia for the DSL and I do really like it. You can zoom all over the place. The little service man has been working his little heart out all over this park. Once people began to figure out that the only thing that was hiolding them back was the address being abbreviated. Still line dancing? Thats great. Once we get DH squared away I plan to go also.

Slavika I hope things are OK at your house. And hope you check in soon.

Maria hows tha baby doing. Isn't it great how young men these days are so hands on when it comes to babies. I remember when men were scared to even hold them. Both my sons and son in law were great help with all the babies. My DH has always loved babies he would have loved to had more but I wasn't willing.

Bought some hair color today. It is Med. blond. Last month I bought beige blond and wound up with black hair. I was awful. I must have washed it a dozen times before I would even leave the house .

I've never heard of reverse frosting Ann. I would like to try something else but won't go gray not yet!

I am whipped. I was out trimming the holly bushes. What a job! I need to learn how to use the electric ones. I will pay for what I did tonight in spades. I already hurt.

We heard today that the lady we bought this house from passed a way. She had fallen and broke her knee. And while in the hospital her heart just gave out. She would have been 95 in July. Her family is bringing her back here for burial. Her Husband is Buried down here. It is sad. She really never wanted to leave but her kids insisted. She lived in this community 20 years.

Well I need to go put some heat on this poor body of mine.

I check in tomorrow.

Karen
Old 05-07-2005, 12:13 PM   #8  
Web Nana

BJ3: My DH, Jack, would like to express his profound thanks to you for sharing , with him, your similar knee problems and your surgery experiences!! To say the least he is not at all anxious to plunge into the surgery pool!! He is very active and has always loved walking. He has been doing his daily dog walking, he walks 10 neighbor’s dogs (one at a time) for his cardio-vascular system. Some of these dogs would never get a walk if they depended on their owners. He may end up as “Hopalong Cassidy” but he is determined not to lose the battle of “Wounded Knee”!! Thanks again, and he sends his sincere wishes for Good Health!

Glenda: I passed on your comments re: arthoscopy to DH. He was very interested in how quick you son's recovery was. Eventually he is considering all options. Thanks very much.

Karen: With the N'orEaster we are having this weekend I envy you your beautiful Florida weather. We must take advantage of each and every good day we get.

Slavika: I hope all is working out well for your DH. You are in our prayers.

Maria: I'm sure you are having fun playing with your little gd. That is a better activity than playing with your computer.

Gloria
Old 05-07-2005, 02:47 PM   #9  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
DH and I have had ourselves some sort of week......we both have colds/coughs, and I have already forgotten when they started, it feels like about 6 months ago. A couple of days ago my one eye felt like I had a "cold" in it, but I was also concerned that it was pinkeye. I treated it like it was pinkeye being careful not to spread it around. This morning I tried going to the walk in clinic and found it's closed on Sat and Sun. I went in to see my pharmacist and she didn't think it was pink eye but gave me Polysporin antibiotic to put drops into my eyes. She said if it didn't seem all cleared up to see a doctor on Monday. DH completed the last of his session 3 of chemo on Thursday and once again I have to inject him with the drug "neupogen" for 7 days. He was really exhausted when he finished his treatment this time. When I went out to the drugstore and to the walk-in clinic this morning he went back to bed. He said he so cold and so tired. I have been back a couple of hours now and he is still sleeping. A couple of days ago he had gone out and came back with a lovely bunch of fresh flowers for me with a note saying "thank you for being there for me". I was pleased, but he doesn't often give me flowers unless it's a special day, but he said he was having a bad week and wanted me to know that he appreciates all I do for him. I knew that. This month is filled with doctor appointments, blood tests, and yet another bone marrow biopsy. Maybe at the end of the month we will know whether he will receive a bone marrow transplant. I hope he is a candidate for one and yet I am really scared.
Everybody, Maria sent me a book by Petrea King, called Quest for Life. It is a handbook for people with cancer and other life threatening illness. I have just barely started it, but I am sure I will get lots from the book. Thanks again Maria. Little Mattie is of course simply beautiful, and I bet she smells like all new babies do, just wonderful.
Gloria I'm glad that your DH is doing ok...hopping along is ok.....
Karen I'm glad that things have settled down a little at your place. I think it's so funny when you take a dog for a walk and they have to mark every tree, bush and fence with their scent. I think they are careful to only release a bit at a time so it will last the entire route. hee hee
Glenda I'm sorry that your makeup did not turn out as you had hoped. I remember one time I had my hair frosted and it cost a considerable amount to get it done, and I couldn't even tell it had been done. When I went back the following week, the hairdresser had to admit it hadn't taken too well, and had to redo it. I hate complaining, but when you are hoping for one look and get another and you have paid for it, I think you certainly have the right to ask her to do it again.
One of you asked if DH had a "port" in his chest for IV. NO...they put one in just above his left wrist, and leave it there for the 4 days of the chemo and then remove it.
Hi to Trudy, Peggy, BJ, Ann and Lily, and hope you all have a wonderful Mother's Day tomorrow. Bye for now.

Last edited by slavika; 05-07-2005 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:53 PM   #10  

Slavika,
Good to hear from you. Sorry about the colds and all. Flowers are nice no matter when you get them. Hope hubby is feeling better this afternoon.

I spent the morning with a headache. But wasn't sore like I thought I would be after wacking at the holly bushes. In the light of day they look not too bad but not real good have to use the electric hedger. But have to learn to use it first. This afternoon I worked on some of my boxes that I have painted . Put all the finishing touches on 3 of them and then put 2 coats of varnish. They don't look half bad. Then I was prepareing the next 2 with the sealing coat and then 2 coats of paint. Haven't decided what I will be painting on them but at least they will be ready to go when I decide. Pansies are pretty but boy they are not easy.(I had nightmares about those when I was working on them) Violets sounds like a good one for the box for my Mom. Would like to do Irises but haven't been able to master them. Her name is Irise.

Happy Mother Day to all of you. Hope it is a nice sunny day for all.

Karen
Old 05-08-2005, 11:26 AM   #11  
BJ3

Happy Mothers Day to all! My two sweet sons are taking me out for Mexican Food. My favorite. I plan to just pretend I'm not on a diet for this one meal for a change.
Karen, I missed the first part about your boxes. Have you ever watched Donna Dewberry(sp?) do roses? She makes it look so easy! I thought I would paint more again when I retired, but for some reason started a canvas, got half way through and lost interest. I have started quilting the last few years and it seems to take all of my spare time.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:09 PM   #12  

BJ3 I make an attempt at the one stroke. It ain't as easy a Donna says. But I have fun and I can give them to my family as gifts. And they have to like them! It's the best of both worlds.

We are doing dinner out today also just haven't decided where to go.

Talked to my youngest son and family by web cam this morning and it made the day better. It took us a while to figure it all out but finally got it up and running. At one point DS and I were viewing each other on the computer but talking by phone to get it all going right. We still can't use the hands free just have to push the talk button when we speak. But it was a blast and I got to show them the boxes I've been working on. Can't beleive how much the kids have grown since Christmas when I saw them last. We'll get the hands free figured out later.

Well just checking in Happy Mothers Day all.
karen
Old 05-08-2005, 04:00 PM   #13  
Web Nana

HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!

It’s been a quiet day today in my neck of the woods but I have heard from all the kids. I even got a phone call from GS#1 who is in CA on a band tour. He started the tour at the beginning of April and it is due be over the end of May. They went West over the Northern tier of states and will wend their way back east through the Southern route. He was in CA and said he had gone swimming in the Pacific Ocean and that it was cold. I told him, of course it was cold…it’s only May and as he was just south of San Francisco what could he expect. It was a surprise phone call because he is not the most communicative of the Gks.

DH ordered me a surprise Lobster dinner (take out). Steamed Lobster, clam chowder and a small order of onion rings. Heaven!!!!! I will sit and surround myself with napkins, paper towels and newspapers and attack the Lobster….I eat every thing,..claws (large & small), tail…..every bite. I have been known to sit and suck on the little claws and pick at the bodies for an hour til the juices run off my elbows.. Of course, then it’s time for a shower.

We have a great fish source and they have fish to make at home and food they cook for take out. The best item I have had is Sea Scallops! They call them ‘dry scallops’. It seems that some stores inject the scallops with water and these have not been. Sauted they come out crisp on the outside and mmm good on the inside instead of steamed because of the excess moisture. Takes three minutes on each side.

Hope you all had a great day!

Gloria
Old 05-09-2005, 02:42 AM   #14  

G'day all,
This is my third try in posting
Not sure if it is the dial up that I am using(through dh's work) or what but it is VERY frustrating.

It was good to read everyone's posts and that you all had a good Mothers Day.

All is sort of well down this end of the world......

Little Matilda is wonderful but her parents are the problem
Her dad dislocated his finger and then went on to dislocate his AC (shoulder) joint whilst playing football on Saturday. Luckily we were there and dh took him to hospital in our car and I drove ds's car home.
He is in a lot of pain and will be out of action for 6 weeks. It has also thrown their budget, ds gets paid $300 per game of football and of course that stops when he is out injured.
Matilda's Mum has also over done it and is not all that well at the moment. I will go tomorrow to give their house a bit of a spring clean. Matilda coming 3 weeks early didn't give her Mum much of a chance to get the house in order.
Last Wednesday they had 21 visitors .
Matilda has made her first TV appearance and this morning the three of them had a large photo in the paper with an article on d-i-l's intended return to netball and her aim to play in the Commonwealth Games next March.
Luckily Matilda is such a good baby who just eats and sleeps.
Mattie has been given so many clothes but everyone has had the same idea to give her clothes that will fit her a bit later, nothing much in '0000' that would fit her now.

We went for a bike ride this afternoon and stopped off at a travel agent to check on costs etc. for our American and Canadian trip.
From Sydney to Vancouver with our national airline the cost is $4100, the same trip with some Chines airline is $1200.
Lots of research to do!

Not sure when I will be back next.....

Stay happy and well all,

Cheers
Maria
Old 05-09-2005, 11:24 AM   #15  
Fun Blonde

Everyone had a good Mothers' Day. Gloria, I am glad you enjoyed your lobster. I am not a fish fan but might have been if I lived in your neighborhood.

Slavika, I am so glad you posted. Have been thinking a lot about you. Your DH is such a sweetie. I believe being a caretaker during this process is one of the toughest jobs given to anybody. I am glad he realizes how wonderful you are. And we all have our prayers going up that he is a good candidate for a bone marrow transplant. It will all be worth it then.

Maria, you just have to get those kids back in shape! They have a precious little one to think of now! Glad your Dh was there to take care of his kid. Mattie is little to already be in the news!

Karen, glad you go the webcam going. Isn't technology wonderful! My Raleigh is the same way--every blade of grass. And he has to sniff every blade. Makes you wonder about those doggie kisses, doesn't it?

We had a great day. All the kids made it home and we went to church. They haven't all been to our church in years. It was wonderful to show them all off and the boys grew up in that church. At home we barbecued and had mass confusion for awhile. It was great fun and DH and I slept like the dead last night, as you can imagine.

One of my highschool friends died over the weekend in a car crash. She was burned beyond recognition and her son (mentally challenged) is in a burn unit. Her husband two weeks ago was diagnosed with cancer and it is bad. This is just one of the saddest things I can imagine. They have another son who will be responsible for his brother if his brother makes it. Makes you want to drive very, very carefully and hug and kiss your loved ones. Makes my makeup woes seem pretty inconsequential, for sure.
Glenda
Closed Thread