Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 05-04-2005, 07:13 PM   #1  

Default Anyone with rosacea?

Hi everyone! My sister (MinuetInC) and I are both new to the forums here and we have a question for anyone suffering from rosacea.

My sister and I were both diagnosed with rosacea recently, and I'm shocked at how quickly it's gotten out of hand. I'm on several medications, but I swear they do as much damage as they help. I've gone online to all sorts of rosacea websites and I'm annoyed at how often sites give you all kinds of good information, and then try to sell you a "miracle product" cleanser or moisturizer. I'm hoping the diet changes I've been making will also help clear up my skin. Has anyone out there had an improvement with a healthier change of diet? What diet are you on?

I have rosacea on my nose, cheeks and now my eyes. Has anyone had good luck with ocular rosacea if they change their diet?

There are supposed to be 14 million people with rosacea in the U.S., but I haven't found any help with this change of diet question. Some of the trigger foods I have to avoid are making planning a healthy diet more difficult too. Any input with be welcome.
LaughingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:51 PM   #2  

I have mild rosacea that has never really progressed much beyond dry eyes and facial redness. I've had the best luck with Metrocream, but it has to be prescribed by a doctor. I also found out coincidentally that it improved a lot when I took a course of erythromicin for and unrelated infection. Someone on another message board did mention that his doctor also suggested taking flaxseed oil as a supplement to reduce inflamation. I've started doing that, but it's only been a few days, so I don't know about results yet.

Beyond that, I'm not sure there's too much to be done
cher123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:31 PM   #3  

Cool

I have mild rosacea, although I think at one time I may have had occular as well. I went to a dermatologist, took antibiotics and bought all his potions, but didn't see much improvement so I stopped going. A year or so later I had major surgery and as a result I lost a lot of weight (put it all back on and more - alas!) and changed my diet. Low fat, low calorie, more vegetables and water. Whole grains. rosacea improved. Now it gets worse when I eat a lot of junk, so I think the diet has something to do with it. As for occular rosacea, have you seen an opthamologist for it? That should be carefully watched. There is a website I found that was helpful -- I think it's called The Rosacea Society. You might try that and see if you can find it. Good luck.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 04:48 PM   #4  

Thank you so much for your input. The medications I've been taking are prescriptions and I have an appointment to see my opthamologist. I really believe diet has to make a difference, so I'm glad you were able to verify that rosettastone. I'll check out The Rosacea Society website too.
LaughingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 11:35 AM   #5  

I have rosacea. Some of the things I was told to watch out about are coffee, alcohol, spicey foods and anything that seemed to produce a reaction. I was also told to wear sunblock. At least an SPF 30......all the time. I can't use the prescription meds because they are sulpha based, so I am hoping that being a little more careful about other things might help.
thebooklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:15 PM   #6  

thebooklass, I have a sulpha allergy, too, and haven't had any problems with the topical creams. There are also oral antibiotics that are okay for people with sulpha and/or penicillin allergies. (I have both.)
cher123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:20 PM   #7  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

I've had rosacea since I was 14. My major triggers are stress, red wine, direct sunlight and extreme temperatures, but I'm still discovering mini-triggers here and there. I have tried different diets and exercise programs, but haven't noticed much change. I regret even trying perscriptions. They were very expensive and didn't do a thing to help. The best thing I've found is a green blush made by "Physicians Formula". It doesn't totally cover it up, but it does a good job of toning down the redness on my cheekbones.
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 03:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I also have mild rosacea. Although about 7 years ago, it was bad enough that I was using a thick oily makeup designed for people with dark scars and birth marks. It had to be removed with a special cleaner. It was completely unnatural looking, but I still got so many compliments on how great I looked wearing it (because I looked so horrible without it). My cheeks are always very red (my skin is so pale I nearly get sunburned thinking about going outside), but occasionally the rosacea flares and becomes bumpy and painful (raw feeling). I have to look for that green blush.

I'm not sure if I have occular rosacea, but I have had more than my share of styes and eye infections (I wore contact lenses for 15 years, and then had to stop. My eyes were too dry for hard or gas permeable lenses and became constantly infected from soft lenses). My eyes still tend to be dry, but I haven't had more than the occasional stye and no infections since I stopped wearing the contact lenses. Six months ago I quit my job and moved to Wisconsin (my husband had lost his job six months earlier and there were no opportunities in central Illinos, so we moved here). I've only had one "bumpy" flare up since (when I didn't protect my face well enough from the cold). My own sweat seems to be the worst culprit, so I need to wash my face as soon as possible with cool water after I work out. I'm rather stubborn about the diet changes because my favorite foods are very spicy, but it did improve when I gave up caffeine (I was drinking 4 - 5 cans of diet Mountain Dew Code Red per day). I have added it back in, but am limiting myself to one can of diet soda a day, and have not noticed any worsening with that amount. Stress seems to be a big component for me as well.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 09:33 AM   #9  
Almost There..

Now, while I don't have rosacea, my mother does. She saw a dermatologist about it who said Lever 2000 is the best soap you can use on your skin. You can get it with lotion in it, very nice. :D She said Clearasil Ultra (not the soap, the cream with the benzoyl peroxide) help cleared it up, as well. Dunno if it's the acne medication or the soap itself, but I've noticed a huge improvement. One more thing she swears by is Nivea's night renewal lotion. Amazing stuff. You can get it for your hands, body, and face. It cleared my keratosis pilaris right up (not rosacea, but KP is REALLY stubborn, so it HAS to be good). I'd also reccomend using a really good sunscreen. My friend swears by SkinCeuticals, but I think you need to get that from a doctor.

If all else fails, Neutrogena sells an oil-free green concealer. Never used it, but I trust Neutrogena and I can't find anyone else with the color. I should buy some, myself, for all the stinkin' heat rashes I get. I'm kind of afraid my foundation will rub off and I'll end up with green spots, though...

Yeah, I know. I'm not being helpful. I can ask Mother about it some more when she wakes up.

Edit: She said lotions with alpha hydroxy work really well.

Last edited by Invidia; 06-05-2005 at 11:16 PM.
Invidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:04 AM   #10  

I've seen some improvement with a cream called: Calm, Cool and Corrected by DermaDoctor. I purchased mine at Sephora's.

I'm thinking Lever 2000 might be too harsh. Most dermatologists recommend Dove or Ivory. They also recommend Cetaphil for washing the face, but that product makes me blotchy!

The SkinCeuticals sunscreen is an excellent, but pricey, product. However, I did have a reaction to it, and stopped using it. I have had good luck with the Neutragena line of sunscreens.

Be very careful using alpha hydroxy acids and start with the mildest percentage to see if your skin can tolerate it.

Check out www.rosacea.org for some good information, especially on the ocular rosacea. You will have to see a doctor for that because it generally responds to antibiotics, like tetracycline.
Gladdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:11 AM   #11  

One more thing....Dr. Andrew Weil and Dr. Nicolas Perricone have loads of information on anti-inflammatory diets, which are helpful for rosacea. Dr. Weil on his web page suggests taking a supplement called Zyflamend to aid in reducing inflammation and Dr. Perricone has written about helpful supplements such as alpha lipoic acid.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:14 AM   #12  

And another thing!!!! Flaxseed oil is good for women, but men should steer clear from it! There has been some indication of a correlation between flaxseed oil and increased risk of prostate cancer.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:10 PM   #13  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Default New product line especially for rosacea sufferers

I have had good results with a new line of products from Eucerin (available in Walgreens, Target etc.) especially designed for rosacea sufferers. It uses an herb tha reduces redness (cleansers, creams) and has a green spf15 daily moisturizer that really helps.
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:34 AM   #14  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

I haven't been diagnosed, but I do have mild rosacea symptoms. My father definitely has the condition.

I have found that birth control pills control both the acne and the general redness. The acne improvement is definitely due to the hormones in BCP, but maybe the redness is, too.

Good luck.
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 02:28 PM   #15  

Lightbulb I just saw my doctor about this on Thursday..

I was diagnosed with mild rosacea several years ago and never had any real improvement with Metro Gel or Metro Cream, so I stopped using it. I went to see my doctor this past week for my annual and asked if there were any new treatments for rosacea. (I had read something about Retin A as a treatment and wanted her input). She mentioned to me that some research she recently read suggested there might be a link between rosacea and dust mites.

I didn't get any reference to any publication about this, but I am going to defin. do some research online about this. Interesting idea...
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote