Old 05-03-2005, 07:47 PM   #1  

Smile Sanctuary - #21 Everyone Welcome

What we really want in a weight loss support group, boils down to one concept; we are looking for a sanctuary.

Sanctuary means different things to different people. Sanctuary is a place of peace, rest, safety, and rejuvenation. It keeps our spirit and our sanity intact.

Many of us who have a long journey down the weight loss path find ourselves in need of a break. Sometimes our bodies crave it, and sometimes the choice isn't ours, but circumstances forces it upon us. Other times, we need the clamoring throng to cheer us along our way as we breeze past milestones and overcome obstacles.

Sanctuary can be all that as well. It is what you need and when you need it. Sanctuary can be found in good friends who aren’t afraid of your truths and in an open, honest atmosphere.

Sanctuary isn’t judgmental, neither does it discriminate or ask to be censured. It is open to anyone with a desire to share, and especially those in need of and willing to offer support
LuckyLadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:52 PM   #2  

Wink

Hey, how are you and where are you?

I am so jammed with information in my head it is spinning.

I have to admit I ordered pizza in my room so I could study. The good thing is after 3 pieces (they were cut in small squares) I couldn't eat anymore.

I wonder if it will keep for breakfast????

I can't believe the "motley crue" in my class. It is entertaining just watching everyone.

Well, off to study and will check in later.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:13 PM   #3  

Lucky, I am so glad you found time to poke your head in and say hi. I hope your studies are coming along.

We've been away from home all day long otherwise I would have posted before now. So, here is my current dilema. To go to the gym, or not go to the gym. Our schedule got all screwy today and we ended up eating dinner later than usual. We finished eating around 7:00 and then it takes half an hour to get the kids cleaned up, etc. The gym is open until 9. I could still get in at least 30-45 minutes. But, ugh, I just ate and that always makes me feel "blech." Maybe I'll go out for a walk instead. It won't be the end of the world if I don't burn any extra calories (I've had less than 1200 today) but I really need to clear my head. The children are driving me crazy!

Addie is a screamer. Always has been. But she's four now and there is a little sass behind all that yelping. Will is old enough to have found the entertainment value of pushing her buttons. Some days it's like having TV/Radio static played in the background all day long. They are really good kids, well behaved more often than not, fun to be around, generally get along. I honestly don't need a lot of patience to raise them. Some days though they put me to the test and today was one of them. I failed miserabley. I hate the way I feel when I snap like this. I can be so ugly with such a nasty tone. I always catch myself when it occurs to me how embarrased I would be if someone overheard me scolding them in such a way. My mother always tells me, "You can't win a fight with a child. If you get in the ring with them you've already lost." Well, I let them beat me to a pulp this afternoon. But, here we are at bedtime. They are all cleaned up and ready for a story and to be tucked in. There is no way these are the same three kids from just a few hours ago.

Well, I think I just answered my own question. I'm going upstairs for apologies (me to them) and snuggles and then take a quick walk down the street and back to shake off the day. The gym will still be there tomorrow.

Goodnight,
Tricia
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 01:29 PM   #4  

Thumbs up

Quote:
Well, I think I just answered my own question. I'm going upstairs for apologies (me to them) and snuggles and then take a quick walk down the street and back to shake off the day. The gym will still be there tomorrow.
Good Mom, Tricia. Sounds like your kids are "being kids". NOT that that helps Mom!!!!

I didn't save any pizza for breakfast!!!! It was thrown out. I did "steal" a bananna and apple at the continental breakfast this morning for my lunch.

My head is just spinning - but I wanted to say hi before going back to class. Tonight will be major studying - which I am not great at.

I really like this laptop. Wonder if my friend would notice if I don't return it???

dkredondo: good to see your post. We all love Sanctuary. Are you falling a particular weight loss plan?

Well back to ^(&*(%^%^&%*^&%*^.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:49 PM   #5  

Lucky, for what it is worth a laptop is worth every penny. I was lucky and got mine as a Christmas gift from my parents a year or so ago but would gladly spend the money on another now that I know how handy they are. I LOVE it. Greg has me set up with wireless access so that I can take in all around the house and outside. I don't do that often but it is great for when I need to get bills done, etc. and the kids want to ride bikes in the front yard or something. Sometimes I even take it to bed with me instead of a book (or Greg for that matter - LOL).

Well, today my calories are in check but they've all pretty much come from junk. Nothing terrible - just not as healthy as usual. Let me tell you, it was all good going down but I sure can feel the difference. I am a lot more sluggish than usual. It is weird to be able to tell the difference. I had to have felt this way all of the time 50 pounds ago. I remember saying that I wanted to have more energy but I suppose I spent so much time on the couch doing nothing that I didn't realize how bad it was. I'll have to make a mental note of this and use it to keep myself in line.

Today was my turn to take a snack for Will's class. You've probably seen these before but I used the clear 9 oz punch cups and layered oreo crumbs and chocolate pudding. Will cut out paper flowers that we glued to the end of plastic spoons. Stuck the spoon in the middle of the layers and layed a gummy worm on top. They turned out really cute. I've seen various recipes for it before and just adapted from them. Usually, you use a real flower pot with silk flowers and have the gummy worms layerd in. Anyway, I was pleased because the teacher sent a note home saying that the kids loved them and that they were definately the best snack they've had all year. I'm glad the kids like them but really I am most excited because Will felt so good that everyone made such a big deal about them. It is always so nice to help the kids do something that makes them feel good about themselves. Goodness knows he probably needed it after the day we had yesterday!

Alright, I'm off to blow bubbles - or chase them - whichever job I am assigned. Have a great afternoon!

Tricia
Old 05-04-2005, 07:16 PM   #6  

Talking

Tricia,

I love bubbles.

I don't know when but I am definately going laptop. It is just TOO handy.

I first have to figure out how to come up with the money!!!

Glad your snack was a hit at school.

I have just lost all control over food this week. This hotel is a ways from anywhere to eat and I hate driving where I don't know where I am let alone going at night to someplace alone - I chose the "bad" choice of ordering pizza. I can tell too that my body feels sluggish. I can't wait to get back to regular eating.

I go home tomorrow night - I won't get there until late and then have to be at work early in the morning. I know I will end up working Sat, then to my nephews prom, Dad's birthday Sunday, then work Monday and Tuesday and leave for the cities again Tuesday night!!!!!!

Lord help me!!!!
Old 05-04-2005, 10:47 PM   #7  

Come up with the money? What? You don't have a money tree growing in your backyard? LOL!

Ah, the list of things I am trying to find the money for just gets longer and longer. The places from which I can actually find money just gets shorter and shorter.

I'm one of those frugal types but I like nice things - that is a pretty tough balancing act. We don't finance anything (well, our house of course) and we don't use credit cards so if we want to splurge we either have to save up or have a lucky windfall. But you know what always happens? I put my pennies away, finally save enough, and then all three kids outgrow their shoes at once or some other "necessity" rears its ugly head. Oh well, everybody is clothed, fed, and has shelter. That is so much more than a lot of people have so I guess I can live without whatever worthless trinket might catch my eye.

Now, to the reason I am really here. I had a terrible food day today. Let's see, I made homemade biscuits and gravy for breakfast. I skipped the gravy but did have a biscuit with the strawberry jelly we made and a piece of ham left over from dinner last night (340 calories), lunch was a serving of Tombstone cheese pizza (340 calories), two flour tortillas stuffed with leftover spanish rice, sour cream, and cheese sauce (360 calories), another serving of pizza for dinner (340 calories), some Ultimate cheese Munchies after dinner (85 calories), a small salad with 1 T blue cheese dressing (80 calories), 3/4 oz whole almonds and 1/4 cup lowfat cottage cheese (170 calories), and finally 1/4 of Jake's grilled cheese sandwich (60 calories).

I feel awful. Not guilty because I've ended the day with about 1800 calories which is more than usual but nothing detrimental -this will just be my high calorie day in the course of staggering for this week. Still, I'm bloated from all of the sodium. I feel overstuffed and have barely a nutrient to show for it. No wonder I was sluggish today. To top it all off I didn't get in a lick of exercise.

Tomorrow will definately be better. I've taken a little extra time tonight to plan out our day. Today got all screwed up schedule wise. We were late getting to school and it just went downhill from there. It isn't a good excuse but it is what happened. Usually, I make my own healthier breakfasts and lunches. But, when we got behind I had to just have what they had (hmmm, maybe I need to rethink what I'm feeding the rest of the family), count the calories, and move on. There isn't a good reason for having continued to eat garbage for snack and dinner. I was just on a roll, I guess. Greg was late for work and Will had karate at 5:30 so I didn't cook dinner. Mistake number one right there.

Oh, and did I mention that I haven't had even 1 glass of water all day?

I suppose the sun will still rise in the morning. I'm off to get our things together so that we can head out on time when it does. I want to make sure I don't have a repeat of today.

Tricia
Old 05-06-2005, 11:22 AM   #8  
a work in progress...

Hi all...just popping in to let you know I'm still hangin' around. Welcome to our Sanctuary, dkredondo! It's a nice place to escape to, nice folks here.

We're heading to the city this weekend, going to see "Spamalot" on Mother's Day. If you haven't heard of it, it's the "new musical lovingly ripped off from the motion picture, Monty Python and the Holy Grail." Starring David Hyde Pierce, Hank Azaria, Tim Curry. Written by Eric Idle. Directed by Mike Nichols.

Cool, huh?

I guess only if you're a "Holy Grail" fan as the nuts in this family are...we could spend hours just quoting lines of the movie at each other. I'm sure we'll be incorrigible after seeing the play Sunday.

If I don't get back here before we leave (tomorrow) I hope that everyone has a great weekend and a Happy Mother's Day!
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 02:48 PM   #9  

I guess we are nuts too, Kat! We love Monty Python but the Holy Grail is my absolute favorite. Gosh, I couldn't even count how many times we've watched it over the years. I love that you can watch it from any point - even if you don't follow the whole movie, the jokes throughout are still hysterical. The play sounds awesome. I hope you have a terrific time. What a great way to spend Mother's Day!

Tricia
Old 05-06-2005, 10:31 PM   #10  

Smile

Quote:
Still, I'm bloated from all of the sodium. I feel overstuffed and have barely a nutrient to show for it. No wonder I was sluggish today.
I really hate it when I do that too.

But, Tricia, I don't doubt you will drink 64OZ of water tomorrow, right?

I am going to study some before bed and peek at my South Beach Diet book. I have to DO something.

Ummm, what is the Holy Grail? I don't think I even know what Monty Python is? Is that one of those wacky British things????
Old 05-07-2005, 07:57 AM   #11  

Yep, Lucky, I'm back on track with the water. Now I'm slagging a bit on my exercise - but I am very aware of it and have a class this morning. Once I'm home I am going to sit down with everyone's schedule and make sure I'm in there somewhere with time for the gym or at least a walk at home. I'm hoping the stars align and everything falls back into place for me like it used to.

Seems like lately there is always one weight loss related thing that I get off track with. I'll catch it, fix it, but then something else falls apart. Oh, well, I'm working on it. I make a real effort not to make excuses for myself but we've got all kinds of year end school activities going on for the next couple of weeks and it has been messing up my routine. Summer will be a whole new planning challenge. It isn't as nearly as structured as the rest of the year so it is a little harder to plan my day. I am thinking that I may try and get my exercise done in the morning. The kids will be sleeping later, and if they wake up before I get home it won't be a burden on Greg because they don't have to get ready for school or anything. I'm not a morning person but I think I can do it since I won't have to follow the workout with a dash home to get everyone up and going. We'll see.

Gloria should be back soon shouldn't she? Tomorrow maybe? We'll have to try and keep the thread close to the top so she doesn't have to search for us.

Gotta run!
Tricia
Old 05-07-2005, 11:46 AM   #12  

HEY EVERYONE!!

I'm feeling so much better now!!
I still have a bit of a cough, but things are a whole lot better now! YAY!!
I sure have to catch up on all what going on around here! I've missed you all!
I'll start fresh here! Talk to you guys soon!
Chelsea

Hey! My ticker's changed!
Chelseagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 12:12 PM   #13  

Chelsea, I am so glad you are back and feeling better. And WOW! 23 pounds lost! That is awesome. If you keep up the good work you are going to be surprised by how fast 145 sneaks up on you.

I just got back from the gym. I feel glad to have it out of the way for the day. We have gorgeous whether and I'm going to spend the rest of the day outside as much as possible. I'm going to baby my tomato and pepper plants for a while then maybe do a little sprucing up in the flower beds. I'd like to get out and get some flowers for the front porch but I don't think I have it in me to fight the WalMart or Home Depot crowds. Maybe I'll make it to one of the nurseries in town - they usually have a healthier and more diverse selection anyway.

Hope you all have a terrific day!

Tricia
Old 05-07-2005, 03:15 PM   #14  

Smile

Do you think Gloria missed "old blue"? Did she take her with her?

Who knows what stories she will have.

Just got home from work and am going to study - two weeks - I can live through two more weeks, right?

Later,

Chelsea, glad to see your post!!!
Old 05-07-2005, 07:16 PM   #15  
Gloria

Hello hello hello. Just got back about an hour ago and just couldn't wait to see what y'll have been doing this past week. I really have some catching up to do. My butt is sore from sitting in that fricken truck for the past 11 hours and as hubby would say "That's a hole lot of hurten going on back there. Also, trying to sleep while my head was propped up against the window is not very restful. Still have to clean out the truck and eat some supper so will go for now.
Boy i missed you all. Hugs to all.
Gloria
5 dogs is offline   Reply With Quote