Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 03:48 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default Good Fats

I need to add some good fats to my diet, however I don't really have too many ideas of what exactly I should be adding. Any suggestions?
Old 05-03-2005, 04:15 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Here is a list of the GOOD fats from the South Beach Diet FAQ Section. I hope this helps.
Oil, canola
Oil, olive
Other Oil Choices that may be chosen (Polyunsaturated or a blend of Monounsaturated):
Corn
Enova
Flax
Grapeseed
Peanut
Safflower
Sesame
Soybean
Sunflower
Other Fat Choices:
Avocado - 1/3 whole = 1 TBS oil
Guacamole - 1/2 cup = 1 TBS oil
Margarine - Chose those that do not contain Trans Fatty Acids such as Fleishmann's Premium Olive Oil or Smart Balance
Mayonnaise - Regular - 1 TBS
Mayonnaise - Low Fat - 2 TBS (avoid varieties made with high fructose corn syrup)
Olives (Green or Ripe) 15 = 1/2 TBS oil
Salad Dressing - 2 TBS. Use those that contain 3 grams of sugar or less per 2 TBS. Best choices contain canola or olive oil. Low carb salad dressings may also be used if they meet these guidelines.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:13 PM   #3  

Here's some information on fats from the USDA:

http://www.mypyramid.gov/pyramid/oils.html
Old 05-04-2005, 11:00 AM   #4  

Height: 5'3"

Thank you!
Old 05-04-2005, 02:48 PM   #5  
it's always something

Many nut oils are also good fats. They add a unique flavor to salad dressings, and they are sometimes more suitable than olive oil when flavor is an issue. I love hazelnut oil.

Here's a good article on nut oils:
http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...23,320,00.html
Old 05-04-2005, 05:53 PM   #6  

One I have recently discovered is hemp oil, which is rich in Omega 9, very hard to get from other sources. It has a nutty flavour. I use the hemp seeds as well.

And eat your fishies, another great source of oil, especially salmon, mackerel and tuna. My dh jokes that I am single handedly depleting the north sea fish stocks!!!
Old 05-06-2005, 09:11 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

I use Udo's Choice Oil Blend I've seen a big difference in my skin, my joints, and my overall health since using it regularly for the last 2 years...
http://www9.netrition.com/udos_choice_page.html
Quote:
Udo's Choice Oil Blend

"We must make sure to obtain the healing fats that our body needs, and to avoid the killer fats. Udo's Choice Ultimate Oil Blend is a balanced, convenient way to get everything we need from oils." -- Udo Erasmus

Udo's Choice Ultimate Oil Blend is a special blend of carefully chosen, natural, unrefined oils. It contains oils from fresh, certified organic flax, sesame and sunflower seeds, as well as oils from wheat germ, rice germ and oat germ.

Natural, unrefined Udo's Choice contains an ideal balance of the essential fatty acids (EFAs) omega 3 (alpha-linolenic) and omega 6 (linoleic). These EFAs are so called because they are essential to life itself. They cannot be created by the body and must be obtained through diet. Refined, hydrogenated oils turn EFAs into harmful trans-fatty acids, and studies show most contemporary Western diets are lacking in omega 3. To compensate for this, many consumers have turned to unrefined flax oil, high in omega 3. But, having the right balance between omega 3 and omega 6 is equally important. Too much of one will cause a deficiency of the other. Over the long term flax oil alone can lead to a shortage of omega 6.

Udo's choice was developed to address the need for a single oil that provides both EFAs in the correct amounts. The 2:1 ratio of 3s to 6s in Udo's Choice Ultimate Oil Blend goes beyond anything previously available. It's the healthy solution to all your EFA needs.

This oil blend is rich in lecithin, which provides the building materials for healthy cell membranes. It also contains medium chain triglycerides -- easy to digest and assimilate, they are used directly by our cells as a source of energy without increasing fat deposition. Vitamin E is added to improve shelf-life and to act as a free radical scavenger in the body.

Udo's Choice Ultimate Oil Blend is pressed at a temperature of less than 50 degrees Celsius and, more importantly, in the absence of light and oxygen. The use of nitrogen-flushed, amber glass bottles further protects the oil from light and oxygen and helps to insure maximum stability.

MCTs can improve liver function and fat absorption. Unlike fats and oils, they are not transported through the lymphatic system during digestion, but go directly to the liver where they are burned to provide energy. Burned like carbohydrates, MCTs are a good source of energy for athletes. They have been shown to lower cholesterol levels and help people with irritable bowel problems

Like all fresh-pressed oils, Udo's Choice is sensitive to light, air and heat. It should not be used for frying, deep-frying or sautéing, but can otherwise replace most oils in food preparation and can be used in all the same ways as flax oil.

Udo's Choice is excellent for making delicious healthy salad dressings and can be mixed with yogurt or tofu. Try serving it on steamed vegetables or baked potatoes, adding it to homemade veggie soup (after cooking), or mixing it with extra virgin olive oil in dishes such as homus and tabouleh. It adds zing to brown rice and can make both hot and cold cereals more nutritious.

Athletes may benefit by adding Udo's Choice to their favorite protein shake. It can also be added to fresh vegetable juices.

Udo's Choice actually brings out and improves the natural flavors of the foods to which it is added. You can consume it on its own, by the spoonful.

Udo's Choice Ultimate Oil Blend Ingredients: Flax oil*, sunflower oil*, sesame oil, medium chain triglycerides, evening primrose oil (12.6 mg GLA per tablespoon), rice germ and bran oil, soy lecithin, d-alpha tocopheral (natural vitamin E), oat germ and bran oil. (*from certified organically grown seeds).

Available in 8.5 oz. or 17 oz. nitrogen flushed amber glass bottle and 180 1000mg capsules.
Closed Thread