Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-26-2005, 03:57 PM   #1  

Default New and need support

I started my weight loss journey around the middle of Feb. 2005. To date I've lost a total of 21 lbs. I currently weigh 192, I'm 5'6" tall.
I would love to see 179 by June 7th (my 30th b-day).
The support board I was using was great until I got one comment that made me not want to go back. Explaining this is going to require a little background on me.
Right now I'm financially a mess and as we all know eating healthy is costly, so I do my best. Because of the circumstances of my breakup with my BF of over 3 years and my financial situation I am living with my brother. Buying all healthy food for the house is NOT an option. I managed to buy some frozen fish, brown rice and veggies this past weekend and was VERY excited to cook the fish and rice last night. I completely screwed it up the fish was so rubbery I couldn't cut it and the rice was half way cooked. SOOOOO I ate 10 pizza rolls and a soft pretzel with nacho cheese. VERY BAD I know and anything else would have been just as fattening.
I told my diet buddies what occured and got a response that said I had NO excuse for eating what I did. I got my feelings hurt and decided to try and find support from another board.

I hope to make some good friends here!

Edited to add: I guess I had registered back in 2000 ... WOW time flies
but I've never posted before!

Last edited by Sunshine1; 04-26-2005 at 04:21 PM.
Sunshine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 04:14 PM   #2  

Hi sunshine, boy do I hear you!! If you need any help with the cooking I might be able to give you some suggestions if you want. We're at about the same loss and time frame so I'm doing okay here. It is hard some days tho' like I had a couple of handfuls of chips today If you need some support I'm here for ya'
bailey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 04:19 PM   #3  

Thanks Bailey!!! Hey any cooking suggestions is greatly appreciated.
I've felt rather down today and have had 2 bagel bars (130 cal each and 3 grams of fat each) and a payday candy bar (260 cal and 14 grams fat).
So that's ... 520 calories and 20 grams of fat for the day so far.
Have no idea what to have for dinner ... nothing healthy in the house except for 3 strawberries and some brown rice. Pretty sad huh?

Could someone help me get one of those tickers?
Old 04-26-2005, 04:38 PM   #4  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Sunshine,
If you click on anyone's ticker, it will take you to the page where you can make your own.
Just choose your bar, and the little icon that moves as you progress, and enter your starting weight/current weight/goal weight and voila!!!! Thare you have it!!

Good luck to you,
You can do it!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:57 PM   #5  

Hello honey. If you can't buy diet food, try this, eat what is available, but on a smaller plate, like a salad plate and only eat a clenched fist of food, try to eat only when hungry and stop when full, not stuffed, but full. Hope this helps.
praytherosary822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:40 PM   #6  

Hello Sunshine, As confession is a good thing I want you to know I can eat 'bad 'stuff even without all the financial constraints you are facing now. I have learned one thing for sure in my journey that being negative about my progress and being around negative people saps me of energy to make changes. I'm so happy that you posted. OA has a great motto "progress not perfection".I'll be praying for you. Susanna
Susanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 03:20 AM   #7  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Hey Sunshine, we all slip up from time to time and I guess I have plenty of excuses for eating like I do sometimes

How insensitive of people! I guess you just have to try and take it one day at a time, maybe try and get some ready meals that are healthy or encourage your brother to buy thin crust pizza (I find I can fit in some thin crust pizza ok). There is room for junk in a lifestyle change! If there wasn't we'd all be stark raving bonkers by now from lack of chocolate!

2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 06:00 AM   #8  

Smile likin' it here...

Hey Sunshine,
I too have been on other boards on other websites, and sometimes they can be pretty ugly. I have found that the forums here are VERY supportive and encouraging. We're all here for the same reason, so what good is criticizing another?? We all have our own slip-ups and by your being accountable to others, you're on the right track and that says that you're wanting to change - just like the rest of us! I'd encourage you to find a group on one of the boards here that fits what you need and post daily. I've been doing that for a few days and already have a new group of great friends - who encourage me for who I am - not for who they think I should be.

Hang in there - and just take it a day at at time!
evcolbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 07:10 AM   #9  
Movin' right along...

Hey sunshine...cute name. I have never had a bad experience on this website. So, welcome and I hope you find the support that you need. I can't believe someone would talk to you the way that they did. Don't worry about it though. Everyone has slip ups. You can't kick yourself for it. The only thing you can do is get back on the wagon.

Love,
Deanne
chubbyvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 07:33 AM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Hey Sunshine--I hear ya on the budget! I live alone and have to have 2 jobs to cover everything (I work in an office from 6am-2pm and at a restaurant--Ruby Tuesday--from 4pm-11pm). Every dollar counts for me, so I have to shop very carefully. I also don't have time to cook, so everything I buy has to be quick and simple. Some cheap suggestions I can think of of the top of my head right now:

I can get single-serving containers of nonfat, no sugar added yogurt (brand called La Yogurt) for 44 cents each.
Package of 8 Healthy Choice hotdogs (70 calories each) for about $3 (I stock up and freeze them when they are on sale, too).
I buy bags of cereal instead of boxes (MUCH cheaper) and use skim milk for breakfast--usually sugary cereals, but I still count the calories and include it in my total for the day.
I also buy a lot of frozen fruits and veggies--I know fresh are better, but when I buy fresh, I always end up having to throw some out because they go bad before I get a chance to eat them (and I only have time to shop once a week), so for me it's a waste of money.
I also stocked up on Wonder Light bread (I LOVE white bread) when it was on sale 2 for $3, which only has 40 calories a slice. You can freeze bread and just pull a new loaf out to defrost whenever you need it, so it'll last forever!

Basically, I just watch the sales and stock up when I can. I know that's hard to do when living with others, though, since you can't exactly take up the whole freezer for yourself. I know that from experience, too--I lived with my sister, her fiance, and his 4-year old daughter for all of last year. I have also made a point of eating only HALF of my food when I go out to a restaurant. That way, I save half the calories (since restaurants don't exactly cook the healthiest foods in the correct portion sizes), and I also have a lunch or dinner for the next day, too. I am queen of leftovers--especially now that I have a toaster oven. Food often gets chewy or soggy when you bring it home and mocrowave it, but popping it in the toaster oven is almost as quick and keeps the food more in the correct consistency/texture. I got my toaster oven at Wal-Mart for $10 if you don't have one. Just a suggestion.

Alright, I think that's about it for now. Good luck!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 10:41 AM   #11  

Thank you everyone for your replies!!!!!!

Jillybean thanks so much for the tips on food buying. I get paid tomorrow and I'm going to stock up!!

Did great yesterday with my water consumption - downed 100 ozs of ice cold water throughout the day.

I'm working on 20 ozs right now ... 80 more to go!

Thanks Ladies!!!!

We can do this!!!!!!!