Old 04-25-2005, 12:41 AM   #1  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Question Curious about everyone's scales

Hi everyone,
I am considering getting myself a really good scale. I'd like one that's very accurate, maybe digital (with long battery life) and measures to the half at least, but better to the quarter pound.

So, what kind of scale does everyone have, do you like it and would you recommend it? Also, is there a holy grail of home scales that everyone wants?
Looking for all the info I can get, because I need to get it right the first time, we're po' folks after all!

Thanks all!
Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:46 AM   #2  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

My scale is next to the swimsuit water-sucker-outer machine at the gym.

I can't have a scale here, it only causes excessive weighing. I know there are others here who have them. Good luck!
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:47 AM   #3  
mom5kidz

I had thought about getting me a WW brand scale but everyone that I've talked to said theirs isn't that accurate

I have a Sunbeam brand digital. I always step on it 3 times. Just to make sure. And all 3 times it comes up with the same weight. Every blue moon one time might come up different, so I always use the two same weights, whether it shows a gain or not...LOL

It only weighs in .5 increments but it does alright for me.
kclay61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:52 AM   #4  
Jennifer

I have this Tanita digital body fat scale, which I love. It too gives very consistent readings. The body fat does fluctuate with hydration levels, which the manual explains, but if you just sort of take it with a grain of salt and don't get hung up on one day's reading, it can actually be pretty helpful. For instance, if I'm retaining a lot of water, the body fat appears lower than usual, so I don't freak out if my weight is up.

I highly recommend this scale. I chose it after reading many reviews, and I've been very happy with it so far. The one warning I would give is that your weight might appear a lot higher than on an analog scale -- I was in for a huge shock when my weight was 15 pounds higher than my analog!

Last edited by teapotdynamo; 04-25-2005 at 10:35 AM.
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:32 AM   #5  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

I have almost exactly the same model as Jennifer (teapotdynamo) and I love it! Mine is a Tanita BF scale also, with the only difference being that mine only stores info for two users rather than four.

I concur with everything else Jennifer said!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:43 AM   #6  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I have that same Tanita, Jennifer. I agree with everything you said about it. I went from a spring scale to the Tanita and my weight went up by 9 lbs, like you mentioned, and it was a shock. The BMI gives me an idea when I'm retaining water (it dips), which I like.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:05 AM   #7  
I climb mountains!

Oh yeah, another thing about my Tanita scale: every other week I get weighed on this big "walk-on" scale before chemo at the cancer center, and my weight matches EXACTLY what the Tanita scale reports at home with all my clothes on brforehand. I absolutely trust the Tanita's accuracy!
Old 04-25-2005, 11:25 AM   #8  
Can't wait to lose

WOW i had no idea spring scales were that much off, i bought a spring scales last week..now it has me wondering if it is wrong. thank you for the info ladies
Christina35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:56 AM   #9  
Losing 1/2 of Myself

S/C/G: 324/195/170

Height: 5'9"

i have a Sunbeam analog scale that is dead on with every Dr's office I've ever been to. However, I was just looking into getting a Tanita scale... They seem to be the best from everything I've read about them on the web and now in here!
treefrogtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:23 PM   #10  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Springs and other gadgets in normal scales wear out. A digital is much more accurate because it puts pressure on metal plate and reads it electronically. Nothing to wear out. I will get one when I get to goal but I would drive myself nuts right now.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:55 PM   #11  

Mine are an irridescent green, medium sized, but the ones down my spine are larger and stick up a bit.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:56 PM   #12  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I have one much like the other ladies. I think mine was only about $30.00. It's a Tanita and it measures fat.

funniegirl - it took me a minute to get your joke!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 01:06 PM   #13  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Thanks everybody!!!

I knew I'd get good answers on this one!

funniegrrl!!!!!!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:18 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 273.5/see ticker/125-150???

Height: 5'2"

I weigh in on a set of dr's-type scales at my office building. However, all these rave reviews for the Tanita scales -- I just may have to purchase a set for home (I know my dh would like it).
puff0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:34 AM   #15  
I climb mountains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puff0518
However, all these rave reviews for the Tanita scales -- I just may have to purchase a set for home.
Tanita's are excellent! My food scale is a digital Tanita as well, and I love it! (I got them both at a nice discount -- along with my pedometer -- when I ordered my Diet Power software!)