Old 04-20-2005, 09:29 PM   #1  

Default My Day at the Spa!

Hi guys, I wanted to share my little mini spa day adventure, which my husband gave me as a birthday present as well as a few updated pics. The day started with sending DD off to work with daddy a few Saturdays ago. My appointment was scheduled for 1:00 so I was able to enjoy a nice leisurely lunch before I went. First up was the mini massage, (30 min.) which I’ve never experienced before and was really looking forward to. I felt the need to warn the message therapist of my over abundance of excess skin so she wouldn’t be appalled and frightened when she dug her well oiled hands into me and subsequently lost them somewhere in the vicinity of my wiggly, jiggly tummy. That of course encouraged the inevitable questions of my weight loss, which I happily shared since one of the main objectives for this day was to reward myself for accomplishing my goals. The massage itself was fabulous, and the table and blankets were pre-warmed, which I loved! I actually wasn’t teeth chattering cold for a change! My only complaint was that the girl was perhaps a bit too chatty, but being the incurable people pleaser that I am, I could not bring myself to request a reprieve from the incessant talking so I could fully enjoy my long awaited reward. I wasn’t quite sure of the etiquette there, but regardless, I must learn to speak up for what I want more, and I promise I will at the next available opportunity!

After the massage came a mini facial, which I hadn’t originally planned to do, but came highly recommended by my mom. I ended up being absolutely thrilled that I decided to go for it because it was simply wonderful and I do believe that I enjoyed the facial even more so than the body massage. I was also quite pleased with the general aroma of the place. My sensitive senses were not once assaulted with the fru-fru scents of flowery ****. In case you were wondering, I’m not a big potpourri fan! Instead there was a very pleasing presence of citrus, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Next came the eyebrow torture, oops, I mean waxing! Yet another girly thing I’ve never before experienced. It really wasn’t thaaaat bad, and I am very pleased with difference it really makes in my eyes and overall appearance. I did get quite a chuckle each time the poor girl ripped the fabric from my skin because she felt the need to immediately apologize for the pain she was causing. Then she went so far as to give me a discounted price for having been the first to ever torture me in this inhumane way!

The last thing I did was to get a new hairdo. I told the sweet lady that she could have her way with me, that I was open to anything. We talked about it for a bit and she finally came to the conclusion that a very short do was not the way to go with my facial structure and hair type. She liked my length and only brought it up a few inches, yet gave it a lot more body and movement with layers and substantial thinning (I’ve got unbelievably thick hair). I was, at first, slightly disappointed because I was intrigued with the idea of a drastic change. But in the end I realized I had good reason to leave the style up to her many years of experience. I ended up with a very stylish new cut that I believe flatters me quite well. As a side note, I found out that my stylist was also a part-time personal trainer, so we had MUCH to talk about. I told her all about my weight loss, what I eat, how I exercise, how I’m handling maintenance, etc. Come to find out, she primarily works with very obese women, and was absolutely thrilled at the successes I have enjoyed. She was very sweet and supportive, and extremely easy to talk to.

When all was finished I was paraded around so all the girls could see the results of their handy work. We also passed around the “before” picture I always keep with me so they could see just how far I had come. All in all it was a wonderful day, and I felt very pampered. It was a nice change of pace to have a day devoted entirely to me and I hope to have the opportunity to do it again someday. I have also decided that next time, I will have to try a pedicure per everyone’s insistence. I hear they’re simply divine!

Anyway, here’s a pic of how I usually look on a daily basis with my yucky old glasses that I was sooooo glad to be rid of. And of the new me, all done up and girly, with my brand spanking new glasses thanks to my absolutely wonderful mom! I am also re-posting my before and new after pics up in the progress pics thread because the old ones disappeared somewhere along the way. (They're near the bottom of the page)

Pre Spa Picture

After Spa Picture #1

After Spa Picture #2

Beverly

Last edited by boiaby; 04-21-2005 at 10:13 AM.
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:37 PM   #2  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Good for you Beverly. You deserve a day of being pampered. You look beautiful.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:12 PM   #3  
Crazy Canuck

Geez...I was so excited when I saw you in the "progress pics" thread I posted there before seeing this one! Glad you enjoyed your day - you certainly deserve a nice pampering and you look wonderful darlin'

Yes, next time drum up the courage to tell the message therapist You can do it, I know you can!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Beverly, as I said in the progress pics thread, you look great. you definitely deserved a day of pampering. The eyebrow wax thing really makes a difference- i put it off all of the time but i love the difference it makes. you look just radiant!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 12:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Wow! You look absolutely wonderful! Your beautiful eyes really stand out now, and your hair looks so full of body. Glad you had such a great day.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 12:03 PM   #6  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Bev, you look absolutely amazing!!! I'm so glad you treated yourself. YOU DESERVE IT!!!!!

A pedicure will be the best $35 you ever spent. Bring along sandals that won't biff your polish when you put them on, to drive home in.

Also, next time for the brow wax, take acetominophen, 1000mg (2 extra strength Tylenol) about an hour before your appointment. And carry some Neosporin w/Pain Relief with you to smooth on your skin after the waxing. (I am a big baby about pain, but as we all learned in Mrs Doubtfire, "pain is beauty". )

I am so glad you finally did this for yourself. You are a wonderful human being, an inspiration to us all & most importantly: YOU DESERVE NICE THINGS.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 12:39 PM   #7  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Yahhhh!!! I have been waiting for these!!!

I must say you look so pretty!! I loooove the new glasses and the new do looks just great!!!

I am so glad that you got to get away for a day of pampering!!! You so much deserve it. Since I am one of the few who have actually had the privelage to meet you, I know that you are simply the SWEETEST person on the face of this earth. You have accomplished so much. I am inspired by you on a daily basis.

And yes, you must get a pedicure. I am going on Saturday!!!

SAPF - $35.00 for a pedicure? They are $50.00 here. But worth every penny!!!! P.S. what a wimp!!!! 2 extra strength Tylenol and Neosporin w/Pain Relief.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:39 PM   #8  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobsMommy
SAPF - $35.00 for a pedicure? They are $50.00 here. But worth every penny!!!! P.S. what a wimp!!!! 2 extra strength Tylenol and Neosporin w/Pain Relief.
I've got a beautician friend who does them. And yes, I admit to being a total wimp w/the pain.

I am still very very very glad you did this Bev. Kudos to hubby for watching your DD so you could. What does HE think about the 'new' Bev?
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:41 PM   #9  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

You knows I loves ya!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

Bev,

That sounds just heavenly! You really deserve it! You look great and so happy in the after pictures!

I really wish I could see the "before the weightloss" picture to compare them to. I know I have seen it before, but I know if I compared it to your latest pictures, it would ne night and day!

I am really glad to hear that you had a day to yourself. Hopefully, you can do it again soon and get that pedicure too!
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:36 PM   #11  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Your eyes just sparkle ~ you look beautiful!!
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:39 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Sounds like a very luscious day and well worth it. I too ditto the pedicure. That is one of my rewards I will partake in one of these days.

Thanks so much for sharing this with ut.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:48 PM   #13  
Abby's Mommy

Beverly...how beautiful! What a wonderful treat, you really deserve it!!
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:17 PM   #14  

Thanks everyone, it really was a special day. I hope I get the opportunity to do it again someday, especially that pedicure everyone keeps raving about!!

Quote:
Kudos to hubby for watching your DD so you could. What does HE think about the 'new' Bev?
You know men, he really didn't notice much, of course he is legally blind so who could blame him?? He was just happy that it made me happy.

I also want to thank everyone for your lovely comments about my new pics, you guys really made me feel special! I'm just sorry it took me so long to get new ones up there, I'll try to do better next time, I promise!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 11:49 AM   #15  

Once I had my first pedicure (a little over a year ago, at the age of 41) I never looked back. I now have one, plus a manicure, once every 4 to 6 weeks. I hadn't realized that my poor ol' feet could look nice! The little strip-mall shops around here charge about $35 for a combo mani/pedi, but they only do an OK job. If I go to the technician I prefer (in a Heads-Up, no less!), she charges $45 for a combo and does a MUCH better job. All these places have manis/pedis that can cost more, I just get the basics.

Same with the brow waxing ... my brows aren't out of control, and I'd done some half-hearted plucking, but they had never been done professionally. About 3 years ago, after I had lost some weight and had some $$$ to spare, I treated myself to a half-day at a local spa. This one is much more theurapeutic than "beauty" oriented -- they don't do hair or nails, but they DO offer facials along with the massages and other skin treatements. So I got a soak (private mini-hot tub with aromatic oils), a massage (which I'd done once before), a facial, and a brow shaping. My brows looked GREAT, I really enjoyed the facial. If I had the money, I'd do this all once a month. I DON'T have the money, but I DO try to get a massage when I have a few extra bucks at the end of the month. It's one of the best "self-care" things you can do, not only for the "relaxation and pampering" aspect, but from a general health and well-being aspect as well. I invite the therapist to make observations about my body as they work, and I've discovered a lot about areas that are tight or knotted that I never realized, and it has informed my awareness of my body and how I use it (or abuse it) in general. Obviously a good massage is great for stress relief, which isn't a luxury but a necessity for good mental and physical health.

OK, I'll get down off my soapbox now ...

I'm just sayin' ... if you've put off doing these things because you think they are "not you" or that you don't deserve them or need them because you are overweight ... don't! If you want to plan for them as a reward for reaching an intermediate goal, I think that's great. But don't put them off until you get to your final goal if you can afford them financially. You deserve to take care of yourself and look your best no matter what you weigh. In fact, I found that doing these things only made me more optimistic and determined about sticking to my program and getting to goal. The more I pay attention to self-care in general, and to grooming, the better I feel NOW, and the better I feel about my progress and the more confident I feel about reaching my goal. It's a cycle, one feeds the next.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote