Old 04-20-2005, 11:36 PM   #1  
missaprylj

Angry Sizing Chart/Kind of OT, Kind of Not

I'm trying to order this dress online.... but.... none of the measurements for the sizes actually work with MY sizes. Let me explain:

1X 2X 3X

BUST 45 47 49

WAIST 38 40 42

HIPS 37 39 51

And I measure 45/49/52 which are REALLY ODD measurements. So I have the bust of a size 16 (or 1X here) a waist of a size 28, and hips of a size 20 (or 3X here). And my waist is waaay over fitting into a 3X.

Yet.... I like to think I'd fit in a 3X! Do you have any experience with this? Is anyone out there about my size (5'7" and 230) and what would you do?

Could I possibly be measuring myself wrong? I'm so confused!
Old 04-21-2005, 12:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Measuring yourself is really hard to do. I'm not even sure where measurements are taken. The fullest part of my hips is, well, my thighs! So I do know what you mean about odd measurements. I'm thinking you'd probably be fine in a 3X. But if the dress is empire-style, you might consider ordering a 2X. I've called catalog companies before to ask their advice, and, depending on the company, I've gotten some pretty good advice.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:00 AM   #3  
mom5kidz

I'm 5'8 and weigh more than you, and I wear a 3X or a 26/28
kclay61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:35 AM   #4  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

It is frustrating, isn't it? This page at oldnavy.com shows how/where to measure each area (click on the "women's plus" link) but it's still hard to do. Their sizing is interesting, with the plus-sizes having more room in the biceps and so forth.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Apryl - I know your body type.. smaller on top, and bigger tummy? If you go into a store and tell the sales person about the troubles you have, she should be able to help you find something, or help you figure out a place to buy things. I am 5'8" and weigh 258-260 ish, and I wear a size 1X, sometimes an X (which is a 14-16 at my store). My measurements are a little different though, my bust is 45, waist is 39, and hips are 52. The waist measurements are supposed to tell you what size of pants you wear. I'd love to go around the world helping people find flattering proper fitting clothes, can you imagine? I have self-proclaimed of course, GREAT taste in clothes

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 03:08 AM   #6  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Once you figure out what brands fit you well, look at eBay! I tell ya, I'm going to watch for Faded Glory boot-cut women's jeans, especially talls. Once you find a brand that fits your body shape, let nothing come between you and those clothes, LOL!
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #7  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I agree with everybody that measuring is a major pain! My hips are bigger than my top, so I usually have to go with a bigger size to fit my hips.

Off the cuff, I'd say in buying a dress to go by your hip size. If you'd had an experience that the waist measurement doesn't fit with a 3X, I'd take the style of the dress more into account (does it have a fitted waist?). Usually the sales people are pretty friendly about going over orders, that's a good suggestion.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 11:50 AM   #8  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Order the biggest size & have it altered.

I did this for my homecoming dress. I was vacillating between a 20 & a 22 at the time. We bought the 22 & had it taken in at the waist. It's not that much extra & will make you look & feel better. Look in the phone book under Tailors/Sewing.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Just by your height and weight I would guess you to wear a 1x-2x and not a 3x at all. It can sometimes be so hard to figure out those charts. And it seems each place has different measurements for different sizes.

A coworker was looking for some stuff online and it went up to 12x. I told them my measurements and according to their charts I was a 5x on top and waist and a 6x on my hips so their measurements were definitely misleading.

Ditto the e-bay. Been loving a few bargains I found on there. I like the venezia boot cut jeans myself
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 04:57 PM   #10  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

I'm struggling with sizes in general. I'm from the UK and have been in Canada a couple of years now but I still haven't got to grips with the sizing here. I love the greater choice though. Back home, all the plus size clothes were awfully frumpy.

I really like the suggestion of buying the larger size and having it altered. It makes so much sense I'm going to do just that the next time I shop for clothes.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 11:28 PM   #11  
missaprylj

I'm pretty sure about getting the 3x and having it taken in if necessary. But maybe the 2x would be better.....

But i'd rather have it a little too big than a little too small........ 3x then.