Old 04-19-2005, 05:30 PM   #1  

Red face Hey y'all Southern Gals!

Hey y'all! Being a Southern gal can be tough! We are expected to be skinny and eat fried chicken and fried okra at the same time! Let's support each other and share our tricks of the trade!
kellbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:27 PM   #2  
mom5kidz

I don't eat fried chicken but I sure can eat some okra - Oh and can't forget the creamed 'taters and gravy with a biscuit, or two, to sop it up. YUM YUM
kclay61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 08:40 AM   #3  

Cheese grits...oh i'm a big sucker for cheese grits...especially my mother in law's. Thankfully, she only makes them at Thanksgiving and Christmas, which are two "cheat" days (as long as I don't over do it!) I actually don't eat fried chicken either. I prefered grilled. Which is good b/c there are too many KFCs and Mrs Winners around here. However, I cannot resist Cracker Barrell. I've yet to figure out what "healthy" item I can order when my family goes there...
Old 04-20-2005, 10:30 AM   #4  

You gals are a hoot! I live in the south, but ICK ICK ICK, hate okra, rarely eat them there bikets and gravy and euwwww, grits! My kids used to love them when they were little with bacon. My dh loves fried Okra, biscuits and gravy and chicken fried steak. Do love fried chicken though I really have to stay away from that!

Kell: Have you ever gone to Lamberts restaurant in Sikeston, MO? You would be in hog heaven! Totally country cooking, chicken fried steak the size of dinner plates! Maybe one day we can meet. My dh and I love to take long weekends and go to Oprymills and are planning another one, but not til after the first of the year. We are going on a 9 day vacation to Vegas in 4 months and I have to save all the money for it!

Ok, ok, better fess up. I am a Yankee! Lived in Notre Dame country my whole life til I married a sailor and he carted me all over the south for 20 years! We lived up there after he retired for 12 years then moved here for job and my grandson lives here.

Just couldn't resist peeking in and saying HI! Don't hold it against me too much that I is a NORTHERNER!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:33 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 172.50/162.00/145.50

Height: 5'2"

Faye... Lambert's is awesome! I've stopped there on my way to Branson, and the line out the door waiting to eat was unbelievable! Wonderful food... great rolls! I better stop before I get hungry!
PhotogirlTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:45 AM   #6  

I check the boards everyday to see if I can find inspiration to help me stop bending my elbow and my mouth flying open. Today is a treat to find you Southern ladies! And Faye, you have been here long enough to be counted!

Keep on, Keeping on
CookieInGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:21 AM   #7  

Default Southern Chick

Hey All. Im new to these post but seen all of yall was from down south... Well i am too.. I am from South-eastern Kentucky...
Just thought that id say hey, and to see what was goin on.. well yeah, everyone expects so much of us southerns, they think we are all in-breeds too.. That Bull Sh*t makes me mad tho.....
Good Luck All
Tru Luvin
TruLuvin4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:30 AM   #8  

Truluvin: An ignoramus is an ignoramus and you can't do much about stupid people. Don't let them get to you. My dh is from New Mexico and when he was in the Navy (1969-89) he would get people all the time trying to figure out why someone from Mexico was allowed to join our military. Or even better, one lady at an airport couldn't be convinced the indians were not hostile and they still didn't use stage coaches, Honest to God, cross my heart! Just remember to be proud that one of the finest presidents we ever had lived for a time in Kentucky! Besides that, you guys have great college basketball teams!

Hope you all do super duper well on your programs and get to goal!!!!

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 04-20-2005 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:17 PM   #9  

GMA--I love Lamberts...but you have to watch out for the rolls! HAHA! Opry Mills, I worked there for two years! I just changed jobs! (even though all my friends work there still)
Photo-I always laugh when I hear about people going to Branson. I grew up in North Central Arkansas, and my family went there almost every week when I as a kid. I guess that sorta killed the thrill. We went to Silver Dollar City, and they have the best BBQ corn on the cob. (which I don't think is that bad for you...I don't think they put butter on them) I wish I could get the recipe.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 172.50/162.00/145.50

Height: 5'2"

Kellbee.. I grew up in Arkansas too... Greenwood, over by Ft. Smith. Went to college in Conway. I still love SDC.... however, I haven't been in about three years. That area is just beautiful!
PhotogirlTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 02:02 PM   #11  

I have an aunt and cousins who live in or around Mulberry, ARK. Growing up in Northwest Indiana, going to that part of Ark was a real experience for me, as they lived way back in the country and had an outhouse in the 1970's! I remember earning money picking for truck farms the summer between my junior and senior year and now understand why I don't even go near, you-pick-em farms! I met my dear adorable hubby of 33 years through their family so if nothing else, that little hole in the wall town in really special to me!

For those of you ladies who need some good ole country recipes, without that stinky ole fat, I have a chicken fried steak recipe, without any oil, gravy without meat fat that is delish, "fried" chicken in the oven that is pretty darn good, a tremendous beef stew that is very low in fat but truly yummy.

Everyone have a good afternoon today

Faye
Old 04-20-2005, 04:34 PM   #12  
Scootin' On Down The Road

Yey ya'll,

I was just browsing the boards and came across this thread. Looks like you need someone to represent good ole' Mississippi, and here I am!

I can totally relate on the subject of southern cooking. My MIL cooks for the whole family several times a week and her feelings are totally hurt if everyone doesn't eat up. *sigh* Doesn't help that she's cooking all of the basics: fried chicken, biscuits (every meal), tomato gravy (I LOVE that stuff!), roast, mashed potatos, the list goes on and on. I try not to fry here at home at all. She fries almost everything. lol Why does everything soooooo bad for you have to taste sooooo good?

Anyway, it's been great touching base with some other Southern Chicks.

Take care!
Tanzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:17 PM   #13  

GMA- I would like to have that recipe. I LOVE chicken fried steak. It so good w/ mashed potatoes...
I'm originally from Mountain Home (not to be confused w/ Mountain View) though I rarely visit there now.
Does anyone have any good BBQ recipes? My chubby hubby is from Memphis, and we all know how Memphis people love their BBQ. GMA--I bet you really know w/ BBQ fest coming up!
Old 04-20-2005, 09:30 PM   #14  

Hey Chicks, Just thought id get on and see what was happening.. I love reading dialy post, it keeps me motivated to try harder to lose weight....
When you give up on trying to lose weight try this....* what i do 4 myself*
Set a weight goal, and when you set that weight goal buy yourself something that you have been wanting for a long time...
My goal is a sunflower tattoo so if i reach 145 by the end of May.. then im rewarding myself with it...
Good Luck Girlz..
Tru Luvin
TruLuvin4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:24 PM   #15  
HERE I GO AGAIN!

S/C/G: 182/182/130

Height: 5'3"

Hi Ladies! I am from North Mississippi, Desoto County to be exact. Faye, I know you are familiar with it. I grew up on all the foods you ladies were talking about. I was skinny my whole life eating it too! Then I got married, had 2 kids and my whole metabolism changed! I love fried food. I was raised on it. BUT Now that I have a weight problem, I can't touch it. Bummer isn't it?? I have been to Branson, my Mom in Law lived in Eureka Springs, AK for a few years. She got us tickets to see Mel Tillis there. I also lived in Nashville a little while when I first got married in 87. (My hubby moved there from Memphis, where we are both from, and my parents still live there) then we moved back to Memphis, then to Hernando, MS! I love the south! Don't ya'll???
o2bskinny is offline   Reply With Quote