Old 04-20-2005, 09:35 AM   #1  
Learning to love ME!

Default Stress eating

Earlier this week, I had decided to stop posting for awhile. I felt like "how long can I continue to say 'I'm going to do this, I'm going to do that,' then not do it"? I felt like it was time to put up, or shut up, as the saying goes, and I was not putting up. But then I remembered that this is how and why my weight loss efforts have failed in the past. I stop going to meetings, I stop weighing myself, I fall into the denial of "I'll weigh myself once I've got it together for a few weeks," then spend the next 3 months gaining weight.

So here I am trying to stay on course, even though my eating has become terrible. I still don't eat sweets, but I have been "stress eating" every night after work. I'll eat some yogurt, then I'll have some soup, then I'll have some toast, then I'll have more toast, then I'll have some popcorn, then I'll have more toast, this time with almond butter, then I'll have some nuts... Eating anything and everything, not craving anything, just wanting to eat.

Any suggestions on how I can combat this? I have a one year old, and he and I are alone together in the evenings, so this limits my options. Thanks.
Gypsydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 09:57 AM   #2  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

I hesitate to post ~ afriad this will not come across as it is meant (encouraging instead of discouraging). Don't stop coming here because you are not doing as well as you feel you should be doing. You are not alone. I have been coming here for a long time ~ having ups and downs. Sometimes I do pretty good, other times I struggle. I guess I am trying to say that if I didn't come here ~ I might be worse off. There is always someone here who understands, or someone who encourages and inspires me to not give up.

Don't give up ~ keep trying ~ you can do it!!
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:27 AM   #3  

I agree w/glynn
it is not faliure to have ups and downs
it is failure not to notice them and let them keep happening
ups and downs are expected and are learning steps toward eating better. I started in jan I have lost 25 pds the last two weeks nothing I have found old habits trying to come into play
so I sat myself down in front of a journal and said why
I came up with a lot of stress related junk mainly work
So I stopped eating right then and said self are u really hungry or do u just need something to do
I found something to do using my hands and the hunger left
now I do feel hungry this week since the past two were chunked but I know gradually it will get better again.
I know I really really want to be healthy and sexy for me and my family. I know I really really want to be able to ware cute sundresses I know I want to be able not to be ashamed of body and I don't want to feel I need to hide it. So yes I know I will and I can do this. It will take me time and I will fall but I get back up shake it off and keep trucking.
Don't pull away the ppl here understand they are in this too we aren't just watching u
I believe u are learning and that u can do this

so come on girl and shake it off
Want2BAButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:47 AM   #4  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Boy stress eating is a hard one to get past. I would do this all the time after work. The thing is I don't know how to tell someone to stop. I would talk to myself on the way home. Howie you don't need that you know you don't. Howie your just going to feel worse in the morning. You know how mad you will be at yourself. Sounds funny but it helped me. I would also cuss out the fast food places as I drove by. Getting angry at them helped me not to go in.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 12:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Darlene--I think we've been in the same place for the past few weeks. I agree that had I not been coming here and checking in, I can guarantee I would've already given up, taken up all my bad habits and been well on my way to weighing 300+ pounds. Instead I'm here, making horrible eating choices, not exercises at all but am working on small changes.

You can do this and you are aware of what went wrong in the past and are trying to fix that.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:44 PM   #6  

Darlene

I have also been through an off-the-wagon-phase. What turned it around for me was some tough love from my partner; its true, he upset me at the time, but it did help me to face the facts about where I was headed health-wise if I carried on eating junk and not exercising.

I too have a tendency to eat in the evenings. What has helped me is

a) Having a 'proper', ie healthy filling meal for supper
b) Having lots of fruit, veggies, low fat yogurt etc to snack on if I want to
c) Not having any junk/processed/sugar food in the house.

I did a lot of thinking when I got back into healthy lifestyle mode, and decided what was manageable and what was not - so my ground rules at the moment are no junk/processed/sugar foods; more fruit and veg; swimming for 30 min, 6 days a week. Other than that, anything goes!

I feel so much healthier living this way, and that has made it easier.

Whatever you do, don't give up, and keep coming here. You can do this!
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:00 AM   #7  
Learning to love ME!

Thanks for all of your suggestions and encouragement! Last night was better. I ate a bigger lunch, and was mindful about what I was doing/feeling and eating in the evening. This weight loss stuff takes so much diligence!
Thank you all for caring.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:43 PM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Darlene -

I can't tell you how many times I wanted to leave 3FC because I was doing poorly. If I had I know I would weigh 400 lbs by now. I started here in 2000. I weigh more now than I did then (Had a really bad year last year). But leaving because your not being successful, is just letting yourself hide. I have found that when I do what you did - lay it all on the line - the good, the bad & the ugly. That's when this group kicks into full gear with support.

I know you can do this!!!!!!

As for the munchies, that's me too. I have found that a PLANNED late afternoon snack and a good dinner will do the trick. But plan it all. Plan for a late snack, dinner and a dessert. Then when you want to munch, think..."you just had a snack" or just a short while to dinner".

You sound so much like me. I am on my 9th day on plan. If I can do it, anyone can!!!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:47 PM   #9  
Learning to love ME!

Thank you, Sandi, for your kind words. I've been following your progress on the Journal thread, and again, you're an inspiration to me! I overate again tonight. You're right, I don't have a plan. I'm think tomorrow I'll try having a snack before I leave work so I won't be so hungry when I get home. Then I'll make a real dinner for me and my son. I always make a real dinner for him, but I just graze. I'm also going to start posting on the Journal thread.

I think I have some resentment toward my husband about some things, and that's why I'm "getting a payoff" (as Dr. Phil would say) by holding onto my weight. But I know I'm only hurting myself, and our son, by eating poorly.

And you're SO right about how great everyone is here! I really appreciate it.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:43 AM   #10  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Did you bring your snack? What's for dinner?? One day at a time!!

I agree that we all have a payoff in this. But I also know you can do it. Take a minute and look at your stats. Those 30 lbs didn't come off by themselves!!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:45 PM   #11  
Learning to love ME!

Thanks, Sandi, for your encouragement and for keeping me accountable! I did bring a snack (an apple), which I'm going to have in about a half hour. My mother-in-law made dinner for tonight (extra good--no cooking!). It's lentils and rice topped with yogurt. Yummy! I'm going to limit myself to one serving.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:05 PM   #12  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Darlene, for the longest time I wouldn't even come to 3FC because I felt guilty for not sticking on plan. It wasn't until this year that I things changed. Don't exactly know what changed, but it did. Now, I'm back on plan and can't imagine trying to do this without the support of 3FC. Stick around, you.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote