Old 04-15-2005, 01:06 PM   #1  
Jennifer

Default OT - Need Dress-Finding Help!!!

I have to go to two weddings in early May, and I'm beginning to panic about trying to find a dress to wear. You see, my body shape makes no sense right now. On top, I'm comfortably out of plus sizes, so I can usually wear a size 14 (depending on the cut, sometimes even a 12) or an XL. On the bottom, however, I'm still around a 16.

I've been in this limbo for a while now... I can't wear tops from Lane Bryant, and I can't wear bottoms in non-plus sizes. That leaves me in a bit of a bind when it comes to finding a dress.

I'm doing everything I can to try to lose enough weight by this time to fit in a "normal size" dress, but with every day that passes I start to think it's not going to happen by my neat little timetable.

Does anybody know of places that sell cute, *non-matronly* dresses in these weird quasi sizes like 16? I know Ann Taylor Loft has a few in size 16, but I'm just barely out of their size chart. I'm gonna go this weekend to check it out (sometimes those size charts LIE, I tell ya... LIE!). Both are outdoor weddings, so I'm looking for something sundressy in a nice (preferably kinda cute, not overly frilly, as those kind make me gag) floral or other pattern.

I tell ya, I'm glad to have lost the weight I have so far, but clothes shopping is definitely a challenge right now!!!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 01:17 PM   #2  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

How about something like this...

Coldwater Creek has tons of cute stuff and they have a very wide range of sizes. Do you have one nearby. If not, the website is great!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 01:37 PM   #3  
Losing 1/2 of Myself

S/C/G: 324/195/170

Height: 5'9"

Could you do a skirt or pants and funky top instead?

Dresses can be very difficult. Anything that is a-line or empire waised would be your best option.
treefrogtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 01:39 PM   #4  
Jennifer

Ooh, Sandi, I really like that. Optimally, I want something a little shorter but that's definitely in the right ballpark! I didn't even think about shopping online for some reason... Thanks!

I'd really like to find a dress if possible, but we shall see!
Old 04-15-2005, 01:44 PM   #5  
Losing 1/2 of Myself

S/C/G: 324/195/170

Height: 5'9"

Try Newport News... It's a little cheaper for somthing you'll shrink out of so soon!
treefrogtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:09 PM   #6  

I have been buying a lot of clothes recently, and I'm about the same size you are. I don't wear true "plus sizes" any more -- they tend to be cut longer, which I don't like now that I have less to hide, and the styles DO lean toward the "mother-of-the-bride" or churck lady look. So, these days I tend to wear Misses 14/16 on top and 16/18 on bottom. Here are some places I've gotten or seen cute springy/summery dresses and separates along the lines of above, and I'm satisfied with the quality:

JC Penny (more in the store than online)
Target (again, more in the store than online)
www.chadwicks.com
www.jessicalondon.com (plus-size sister company to Chadwick's, I still buy from them occasionally)

You could also try the following (online or stores), but I think their prices are too high for most transitional clothing: J.Jill, LL Bean, Land's End, Eddie Bauer.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:15 PM   #7  
Jennifer

Hey - thanks for reminding me about Target (and for all the other recommendations.) I remember being in there a few weeks ago looking for a swimsuit -- the horror, the horror! -- and I noticed that they had a lot of very cute sundresses in a variety of sizes. Both of these weddings are pretty casual, so something like that might work.

I tell ya, I've said this a million times, but I will be THRILLED when I'm totally in non-plus sizes!
Old 04-15-2005, 02:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Jennifer - look for something that has an empire waist and that goes out from there! My friend and I are thinking of starting a line of clothing, including dresses! We'd start at a size 12 and go to a size 24, or thats the plan so far. It's too bad you live so far away, you could have been our test subject. Also, if you lived closer you could have come into the store I work for now, we just got really cute dresses, one is black, white and pink, with flowers, sounds horrible.. looks SO cute. Goodluck! And if I come across anything online, I'll make sure to post it! (not that I shop online a lot... no really.. I don't.. ever.. which explains why my credit card isn't constantly maxed )

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:59 PM   #9  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Jessica London
Torrid
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 03:11 PM   #10  
Crazy Canuck

I can't suggest any stores because we live in different countries (though you're welcome to visit and come shopping). I just wanted to say I'm so happy that you're in this dilemma - it means you're just about totally out of "plus" sizes and well on your way to being a total "regular-size" girl. All your hard work is paying off! Good for you!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 03:16 PM   #11  

I get loootttttsssss of my transitional clothes at Target. mmmmm Target.

Some people say DisneyWorld is the happiest place on Earth. mm mmm. TARGET is the happiest place on Earth.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 03:38 PM   #12  
Jennifer

I love Target, too. They get the very uncomplicated (but seemingly impossible to most retailers) idea that good design can be done at any price point and in all sizes. In fact, I was thrilled with my swimsuit from there, which -- instead of being an overly florid granny print with a looooooooooooong skirt -- ended up being a very chic, sexy black tankini with a SHORT coverup skirt and a keyhole tie at the bust. I actually felt kinda *hot* in it, and lemme tell ya, I ain't usually comfortable in a bathing suit!

Thanks, Jilly, for the kind words. I really am feeling great... a little impatient at this point, but I have more energy than I've had in years, and my confidence is at a 10-year high. And THAT'S inspiring!!!!!!

You guys are the BEST!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2005, 03:48 PM   #13  

I don't know if the sizing at Loft is the same, but Ann Taylor's clothes definitely feel more generously cut than the size chart would indicate. The last dress I bought from there was two sizes smaller than I would buy in pants because of the A-line skirt. There are a couple of really cute dresses on sale there right now, I would definitely go trying things on, I bet you'll find something really cute (and if you love it, you can get it altered when it gets too big).
katia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:08 PM   #14  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

http://www.alight.com/alight-com/cat-0009-dresses.html

http://www.torrid.com/store/nodePage.asp?LS=0&RN=206

http://www.jessicalondon.com/jessica...&rootdept=630&

http://www.chadwicks.com/chadwicks/l...50&rootdept=1&

http://www.newport-news.com/shop/sub...878&catID=1891

On the Jessica London & Chadwicks, be careful, a lot of their clothes are DCO. (dry clean only)
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:13 PM   #15  

Okay first I gotta tell you my best friend, her nickname is teapot..and she is the queen of the bias cut skirt and sweater set, too chic to be believed. That way you can go for sleeveless or not, and show off your waist. Another good look is the JLo style dress, that highlites your chest and waist and allows for a more generous bum, and nice bums are in. After all only a dog would want a bone.
AnnaBanana is offline   Reply With Quote