Old 04-11-2005, 09:20 AM   #1  

Default LCFS Week of April 10th

Good morning,

DH & I went to Ft Myers yesterday to visit my IL's. They dog sat and we were able to go out for lunch at a restaurant that overlooked the water. This is FL at its' best!

Lynn, thankfully your family wasn't hurt. It must've been very frightening with your grandchild in the car too. I'm thinking of you.

Nikki, that poor little dog. I can just imagine how frightened it was being in a strange environment and not being able to see. Thankfully everything turned out alright and the lady and dog were reunited. I'm sure the dog was hugging her in return. That was really nice what you and your DH did.

Anne, hope your weekend was a relaxing one.

Have a good day everyone.
Ali
Old 04-11-2005, 12:31 PM   #2  

Hi Everyone,

Ali, I was sure glad it worked out. That old girl had an attitude and kept trying to nip me (the dog I mean ).

Anne, hope your doing ok. Is it getting any nicer up your way?

Lynn, hope your trip is a safe, uneventful one. I'm thinking of you too.

Not much going on here. We had some rain over night. Today, it looks like rain, but hasn't happened yet. Everything looks emerald green out there and is so pretty. The tulips are blooming today.
Talk to you all later, Nikki
Old 04-11-2005, 12:55 PM   #3  
Kasee

Hi all.
New to the site, I am located in the Toronto area, and in search of anyone "Somersizing".
Anyone have any words of advice, websites I should check out.
I would appreciate any help.
Thanks.
K
Old 04-11-2005, 01:24 PM   #4  

Welcome Kassee, I am so glad you decided to join us. Did you go into Suzanne's website? If not, on the home page, to your right there is something you can click onto for Canadian Shoppers. Plus her website has a wealth of information. Here are a few recipe sites that may interest you. www.geocities.com/Somersizing

http://recipecircus.com/recipes/SomersizinDebB/

http://slgkali.homestead.com/RecipeIndex.html When you go into this site, make sure the volume is turned down on your computer.

I hope these are of some help to you.

Ali

Last edited by aleka; 04-11-2005 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:54 PM   #5  

Hello Everyone
Lynn, I am so releived no one got hurt. We had a close one too yesterday.
My son Danny took two of our other boys Sean & David to McDonalds for
lunch and his brakes failed. Thank God he was in the parking lot and was
able to call my sister to come and pick them all up (I don't drive) It really
shook me up thinking about what could have happened.

It was a cool one out today. Our weekend was absolutely beautiful though.
Just wonderful.

Have a great day everyone!!
Anne
Old 04-11-2005, 03:05 PM   #6  

HI Kasee

I think we've all Somersized on this thread at one time or another. Do you have any of her books? They have great recipes in them. But there are also wonderful recipes on her site too. Ali gave you some great websites to check out. Just wanted to say hi, welcome and good luck! Nikki

PS, biggest tip I have is don't over do the desserts and use fresh ingredients most of the time, and processed only occasionally. What I mean there is, she sells some fantastic products, but try to limit their use. The desserts is where I got into trouble with her WOE. Cream is not a new food group, even though I thought it was
Old 04-12-2005, 08:26 AM   #7  

Good morning everyone,

Anne, that must've been scary for your son to have the brakes fail like that. Glad that everything turned out alright. Driving in FL is sometimes quite a challenge. People seem to run red lights and stop signs all the time so you have to be very careful when you go on green. When you stop for a red light you have to make sure the person behind you is going to stop too, otherwise you'll be rearended.

Kasee, I hope the information was helpful. Nikki is right about the desserts, calories still do count, and to eat "real" food as much as possible. Suzanne's food is really good, I've had her salad dressing mixes and I've made her bread. Do you have any of Suzanne's books? Personally, my favorite is Fast & Easy because I don't like to cook. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Nikki, that's great your tulips are in bloom. It's nice to see flowers bloom again after the winter. We have 2 Oak trees out back, they're not like the Oak trees up north. They did shed some of their leaves, then it seemed like 2 weeks went by and they had all new leaves. The flowers on some of our bushes have bloomed. I only wish I knew what they are. We have this one bush with beautiful yellow flowers. During the winter there were these brown spikey balls on the branches which I call nettles, and now they're gone with the yellow flowers in their place.

Lynn, hope you're doing ok. Sending your way!

Ali
Old 04-12-2005, 11:01 AM   #8  

Hi Everyone:
Aleka, we too have problems with red light runners. I was on the bus a
while back and the bloody driver ran a red light

Nikki, we are not quite there with the blooming tulips but they have popped
through the earth. Yesterday when I came home from work my mother was
out raking up. She will be in her glory once the weather is a little better.
She has a real green thumb and loves her garden.

Hi Lynn, I'm thinking about you!

Have a great day everyone.

Anne.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:31 PM   #9  

Hey everyone....I usually post on a different thread but I have been trying to low carb and constipation is a huge problem. I can't take the supplements because they make me so nauseated. I miss eating raisin bran and shredded wheat and cornbread and oat bran really works. Any ideas? Thanks Julie
Old 04-12-2005, 05:21 PM   #10  

Good Evening Everyone,
Anne, I'm sure glad your DS is ok. That would be really scarey and he must have thought quickly.
It won't be long before your tulips are blooming too. Today is a bit on the chilly side and wet. We have had an over abundance of rain the past couple of days. Thankfully, the next few days it will dry out. I'm glad to hear your mom likes to garden and it will be good for her to get out and get busy with that.
Ali, I have no idea what that bush would be. I bet you have all kinds of interesting and different vegetation down there.
Julie, HI! What supplements are you talking about that make you nauseated? Do you mean like Exlax or Milk of Magnesia? I have used Fiber Choice sugar free with 0 net carbs to increase my fiber. It doesn't give me cramps or really do much as far as causing over night increased gi mobility, it just increases your fiber without carbs. If you are really constipated and need to get going again, then I've used Super Colon Cleanse (bought it from www.drugstore.com). It is also fiber and it will really get you moving I did notice some mild cramping with this as it does contain senna. You can also sprinkle some ground flax on to a salad to get more fiber. If you've never used flax before, buy the seeds whole, store them in the freezer and grind them in a coffee mill just prior to using. If you grind them up and try to store them, they will turn rancid fairly quickly. You can eat them whole, but you will not get as much benefit from them. It is of course, a great source of omega 3. Also, if your not already doing it, increase your water intake- drink at least 8 glasses or more a day, and exercise.
How many carbs are you eating a day? How long have you been on a low carb diet?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:05 PM   #11  

Nikki thanks for the information. I have heard great health benefits from getting some flax in your diet. I have tried Citrucel, Met., FiberCon tablets, and MOM. Everything upsets my stomach. Only thing that works is laxatives but do not use them very often. Only when I have to. I like to eat nuts and low carb and high fiber tortillas to get fiber and I probally drink 12 glasses of water a day!! LOL. I have been LC for about a year on and off. But like I said I miss eating good carbs. I just want a PB&J sandwich on wheat sometimes and I find if I give in to a craving I won't have a binge. I try to limit my carbs a day to no more than 40 but I do have cheat days . Thanks again.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:13 AM   #12  

Good Morning Everyone
Finally, the rain has ended. My garden is still standing, but some of the little plants and seeds did wash away. In a couple of days, I'll have to resow.
Lynn, hope your doing ok
Morning Ali and Anne
Your welcome Julie, it was all I could think of off the top of my head. If you have never read any of Suzanne Somers books, you might take a look at one. The library usually has one if not more or you could request that they get one. Her diet plan is very similar to low carbing, but you can eat good carbs, like whole grain cereals right from the beginning. The difference is, you do food combining. Like you eat a high fiber, whole grain cereal, with skim milk, but you can't eat protein with that, like bacon. You can also go to any of the websites Ali mentioned in her posts on the 11th and read about her plan. Even if you don't want to follow her plan, she does have some good advice concerning food. I'm not following her plan anymore, but I still think it's a good one.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:17 AM   #13  
Kasee

Good morning ladies. Thank you very much for all the advice.
I have been surfing!
I have found some great recipes and have started myself a folder. I made chicken with spinach and feta casserole last night for my dinner, delicious!
My problem here, is that everyone around me is eating "poorly" (I hesitate to say normal) ... they still want their meat and potatoes. Not to mention, the constant snacking and alcohol. Ugh!
I was really happy to see other Canadians posting. Hi there!
I am in the Toronto area and am having a difficult time with what is legal and not, what to buy and what to avoid. Lots of research to do.
I have one of Suzanne's books that my sister lent me. I really enjoyed it, started the WOE before I even finished reading the book.
I watched Suzanne on Larry King the other night, I really admire her, and am going to get her latest book.
I, also, intend to check my library and see what they have. I enjoy her style of writing. She's knowledgeable, witty and seems very down-to-earth. She's on "The View" this morning, gotta watch!
Thanks again, ladies. All the help is greatly appreciated.
Have a great day!
K
Old 04-13-2005, 09:53 AM   #14  

Good morning everyone,
It was pouring buckets earlier, but the sun is shining now.

Hi Julie, and welcome! I honestly did not know what to advise for your problem. Which lo-carb WOE are you doing? Nikki mentioned Somersizing, it is a good way to eat. If you don't like the food combining idea, but want your fiber, you could look into South Beach Diet, or Sugar Busters. Both of these are somewhat like Somersizing, where you eat good carbs, "real" food, no sugar, but unlike Somersizing, you can eat carbs with protein. A good high fiber cereal I found beneficial is Uncle Sam's Cereal, it has whole flax seeds in it. Don't get the one with the berries in it.

Kasee, it is confusing when you first start Somersizing, trying to get the food combinations right and what has funky ingredients. Don't make yourself crazy over getting something with all the right ingredients, just make sure there is no added sugar. Do the best you can. I made myself crazy getting stuff with the right ingredients, so much so, that I'd go to several different stores. She has a lasagna recipe using egg crepes that is really delicious. Even though I'm not on that WOE anymore, I still make it, along with her chicken parm.

Nikki, with all the rain we had earlier, I thought you had sent your rain down here!

Anne, glad that you're seeing some signs of spring. That's a really nice to see some flowers starting to appear.

Lynn, hope things are going well for you. Still sending

Ali
Old 04-13-2005, 10:14 AM   #15  

Kasee

Welcome back Lynn and Anne are in your neck of the woods. I'm from Iowa, Ali use to live in NH and is now an FLA girl
No matter what program you follow, there will always be temptations around you like others eating what you can't. It's hard. When I first started to SS (Somersize), I went through all my cabinets and threw out everything that wasn't legal. Well, that really didn't do much good, DH kept dragging home stuff that I couldn't eat. He still does that. I try to keep a supply of things around that are legal for me that I will be satisfied with when he is eating a big bowl of Breyers ice cream. Or distract myself with something else. I'm very much into exercise right now and I find if I do that, it helps me to get past the moment. Even if I just do 10 minutes of ab work, it's enough.
Alcohol is hard to avoid, especially if others are drinking and having a good time. It is really THE most important thing to avoid when your beginning, in my opinion. I know you can have a glass every now and then and that's ok. I could never stop at one glass and it always makes me hungry. Then I eat stuff that I shouldn't. So I figure, why set myself up for failure? Its better to try to figure out how to set yourself up to win.
As far as recipes go, gosh there are so many great ones from her. I really enjoy making a Frittata. It's quick and delicious.
Talk to you later, Nikki

Last edited by nikkic; 04-13-2005 at 10:16 AM.