Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 01:14 PM   #1  

Question Confusing Calories

Hi, I've been reading post on this site for a couple of weeks, since I started eating healthy to lose about 20-25 pounds. Well it has been about 3 weeks and I have lost about 9 pounds by eating and average of 1300-1600 calories and a little exercise(i need to start doing more). however, I use fitday to count my calories and i usually have a half a sandwiche and snack for lunch. when i enter the lunchmeat and cheese it does not seem right. i have two slices of turkey and one slice of cheese, and it says the turkey is 115 cals and the cheese is 114 for ONE slice. i was wondering if this is right because if it is around that i am overestimating my calories and sometimes eating less than 1200 cals which i don't want to do. So if anyone has any info i appreciate it!
thanx
Old 10-22-2004, 03:09 PM   #2  
it's always something

As far as I know, FitDay uses the USDA Nutrition database for the foods. Their nutrition is pretty accurate when measured by ounce or grams. A slice can vary. Do you use presliced cheese, such as Kraft Singles? If so, you should compare the nutrition on the package to what is appearing in FitDay. I haven't checked lately, but slice cheese packages used to state calories per serving, then they sated that a serving was 2/3 slice or something equally nutty.

The turkey may not be right, either. Is your turkey sliced wafer thin, or thicker? I checked and it shows 89 calories per 1 cup of wafer thin or shaved turkey. A one ounce slice of turkey breast is 31 calories. I'd suggest checking the package for the calories per serving, then check the number of servings per package. Separate it onto plates so you can eyeball a serving size. If you have a good food scale, that might help, too.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:31 PM   #3  

Default Good idea...

Yeah i just realized that they list a slice of cheese as one ounce. It gives me a better idea of the serving. Also, I hate when they list 2/3 of something too. Many people probably don't realize it so they eat more cals than they think! Anyway thanks for the info, i am still learning all of this food and portion size stuff. THanks again!
Old 10-22-2004, 07:43 PM   #4  

Every time I've ever bought turkey, it's listed as 25 calories an ounce. I think the deli-style turkey is very lean and, therefore, very low in calories. Most regular cheeses (other than mozzarella and feta) are about 110-120 calories per oz.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:57 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Fitday allows you to enter 'custom foods'. I've used that feature quite a bit - it actually makes it easier and faster to use.

Just use the nutrition info on the food package. Pretty easy!
Old 04-13-2005, 01:45 AM   #6  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

I just bought a shipping scale on eBay. Primarily, we'll use it for weighing food portions, but it has a capacity of 50 pounds so it will also be handy for weighing packages. It weights in grams, kilograms, pounds and ounces, so we're covered! It's a My Weight Ultraship 50 , and it rated high in a Scale Magazine review (scroll down - it's at the end of the review). Best price I found anywhere was $26.75 (+ $12.90 s/h) on eBay . It's a dutch auction and there are more than 300 available at that price. Nice thing is, the seller is also recommended by My Weigh.

I've been using a scale we got from Stamps.com a few years ago, but it only weighs in tenths of ounces and I've wanted to be able to weigh portions in grams, like packages list them. Yippee!
Old 04-13-2005, 08:20 PM   #7  
it's always something

Great idea! I have a good digital food scale (Soehnle Cyber) but would have never thought about a shipping scale. Sounds very versatile
Old 04-15-2005, 07:55 AM   #8  

The "portion not quite a package" thing annoys me too... I like a brand of yogurt that also is 2/3 of a container per serving. What the heck am I supposed to do with the other 1/3?
Evil marketers!
Old 04-19-2005, 11:51 AM   #9  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

Yesterday I actually counted out 15 peanut M&Ms (about 2/3s) so that I could keep to my calorie plan. Sometimes I just throw out the rest. As they say, better it goes to waste than to your waist.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:43 PM   #10  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

You have more willpower than I do with M&M's! I'd have to budget enough calories for the whole little package, either that or convince Howie to budget enough of his to split it with me!
Old 04-20-2005, 03:31 PM   #11  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

Actually, I ended up eating them later anyway. But the point is I could have thrown the rest away.

Sometimes, I actually do throw half a box of cookies away.
Closed Thread