Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 03:46 PM   #1  
Learning To Fly...

S/C/G: 307/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Avoid Dairy & Fruit!!???

My mom goes to a personal trainer at the gym and she told my mom that she should avoid dairy (like yogurt) and should only eat fruit maybe once or twice a week because you won't lose weight eating them...

Well that is a problem for me because I eat yogurt almost every day, and there are ALOT more fruits I like than veggies..I'm a somewhat picky eater so I don't know if i can give up yogurt and fruit!!

HELP!!!
Old 04-11-2005, 04:04 PM   #2  

Hi,

That sounds kinda crazy in my opinion. They have shown (and by they I mean scientists and nutritionists that study food) that people lose more weight if they incorporate low fat/non-fat dairy in their diets. Fruits and veggies are what you SHOULD be eating in my opinion. WEight loss depends on calories and fat consumed and NOT on the food you eat. If you eat a TON of fruit and yogurt that equals more calories than you need for a day, then yes you will gain weight. You need food from all the categories to have a healthy balanced diet. Avoiding any one thing, especially fruit and dairy isn't a correct principal in my opinion.

AmberM
Old 04-11-2005, 04:05 PM   #3  

They are probably saying that due to the sugar content.
If you count calories, you can include everything in your diet, as long as you don't eat more than you burn.
I think it might be better to start by really looking at portion sizes rather than eliminating foods.
Good Luck!
Old 04-11-2005, 04:45 PM   #4  

In my experience, most personal trainers who don't have high-level certifications know NOTHING about nutrition, and tend to be high-protein, low-carb advocates who latch on to the latest fad. I've lost 165 pounds by eating both dairy and fruit 3 times per day, so ... there ya go.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:52 PM   #5  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I agree. She is a personal trainer, not a dietician or nutritionist. Her focus should be your muscles & how they work together.

Maybe you or your mom could split an appt w/a dietician? It would be worth it to hear what a professional has to say--just make sure to write down what you've eaten for 3 days beforehand & write down all your questions, too, get your money's worth.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:05 PM   #6  
Learning To Fly...

S/C/G: 307/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I thought it was crazy too, I don't even think she has been to school for anything, I know that she lost alot of weight and is in the military now, so I guess the gym calls that qualified, they don't really care if you've been to school or not.

I'm just going to forget allt he conflicting things Ive read about what to eat and what not to eat and how to exercise and just stick to the right amout of fat and calories and eat healthy and exercise, do what works for my body, not anyone elses!!

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-11-2005, 08:42 PM   #7  
Empress/Queen

I don't think personal trainers are qualified to recommend nutritional modifications to their clients and they should refrain from doing so.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:36 PM   #8  
Mel

Actually, nutritional counseling is part of a good training certification program.

The only clients who I would advise to cut down on fruit and avoid dairy are those in the last stages of leaning out for a contest...and we are talking below 10-12% body fat before it makes any difference for most people. Dairy tends to make you retain a bit of water in your skin, so if you are trying to look ultra lean and show off the maximum amount of muscle definition, you'd want to avoid it.

Otherwise, as long as you aren't consuming high fat dairy or high sugar dairy, it's a great source of protein and calcium. Sugary yogurts or high fat cheeses do pack a huge caloric wallop, tho.

Mel
Old 04-12-2005, 10:01 AM   #9  
Learning to love ME!

I've read that Michael Thurmond (Extreme Makeover) and Joel Fuhrman (Eat to Live) both advocate going non-dairy for weight loss. I think Oprah also did no dairy for her bootcamp. I think eliminating dairy and/or fruit could work for some people, especially if they're insulin resistant. Different things work for different people. As for me, I'm a total dairy fiend, so I couldn't do it for the longhaul.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:31 AM   #10  

Mel, yes you're right, a good certification program will include nutritional training. However, many gyms employ "personal trainers" who have no certification, or who have a mickey-mouse certification, or who simply take what competitive bodybuilders do as gospel, regardless of the training they've had. I've heard so many bizarre pieces of nutritional advice given by personal trainers all over the country in all sorts of fitness facilities; it seems to be the norm rather than the exception. That's why I said, "Most personal trainers who don't have high-level certifications ..."
Closed Thread