Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 01:45 PM   #1  
Empress/Queen

Exclamation Mayday Mind/Body Challenge: All Welcome to Join the Team!!!!

Hear that sound? The lark ariseth and spring appeareth in the land!

Ok, here's my deal: In the interest of feelin' a bit perkier than I have for awhile, I'm embarking on a May Day mind/body fitness challenge this week to last until May 1. I'm pledging to do at least 10 minutes a day o' any mind/body fitness exercise or routine (including just stretching or a meditative walkie, but mine will likely be mostly yoga and/or pilates).

I'm postin' this here and in another forum as well in case anyone else feeleth the impetus to join the Mayday Mind/Body Challenge Team and pledge to do any mind/body exercise for at least 10 minutes per day and mayhap be nice 'n report their efforts here in the interest o' TEAM SPIRIT! Rah!

There be no penalty for early withdrawal on this challenge (meaning s'ok to scr*w up 'n not do it sometimes and still be a member in good standin' o' the Mayday Mind/Body Challenge Team). The only rule be that at the end o' the challenge, all team members have to feel better and get themselves something new to wear ... even if it's just a headband from Wally World!!!

Ok, whose signin' up for this inner peace stuff?

Get in line!

Be there or be square!

Sound off!
Old 04-10-2005, 04:23 PM   #2  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

You talked me into it! I need a challenge to get serious about this inner peace stuff. Too easy to let it slide otherwise. And I definitely need it. Hmmm... I'm going to pledge to at least 10 mins. meditation, as well as at least 10 mins mind/body (which, for me, is likely to be tai chi/qi qong/yoga -- although I do aspire to learn Pilates as well, so am not ruling that out).
Old 04-10-2005, 04:52 PM   #3  
Empress/Queen

Thanks for joinin' in, Arabella! I believe I will be doing tai chi as well. I used to take a class on Wednesdays and may make that one of mine!

Here's to peace! Ah ...
Old 04-10-2005, 06:51 PM   #4  
deleted2

Thanks for posting the challenge, Amarantha. I'm pledging at least 10 minutes of meditation per day [like Arabella], and yoga and Pilates on alternating days.

Read recently that since Pilates does use body resistance it's a good idea to do that on days where you're doing weights anyway, and give your muscles rest day after. Don't know, but it sounded good to me, so I'm doing it! Today was a heavy workout day for me. I did a "Firm" video, 15 minutes of weights and will do at least 30 minutes on the Pilates machine tonight.
Tomorrow, treadmill and yoga. I need to spice up my yoga routine; it seems like I'm doing the same old thing over and over. I need some new moves!

Can we post our food journals here too?

Old 04-10-2005, 08:39 PM   #5  
Empress/Queen

Exclamation Yo!

Huzzah and welcome Peace Team Member E!!! I think it's a fine idea for anyone who wants to post food journals here to do so, as isn't food a part of the mind/body health connection? I'm still doing my journal in the land far far away (just answered thee there) for today I'll join you in putting it here as well. I plan on having a bit of milk later but will not journal that ... it's just for blood sugar management:

B: 3 sl Alpine Lace Swiss reduced fat cheese
S: Legal sf cherry "cobbler," skim milk
L: Skim milk
S: 7 whole wheat mini pita's baked into crispy "chips," healthy guacamole (ff cream cheese blended with avocado), skim milk
D: Skim milk
S: 1/4 serving baked chicken w/artichoke hearts (topped with "crumbs" of almond meal)

Cals: Approximately 1875

EDITED: VCR NOT WORKING, SO DID 15 MIN OF STANDING YOGA POSES IN ROTATION WHILST LISTENING TO PEACEFUL MUSIC, ALSO FIRE BREATH AND PLANKS, THEN HAD NICE MEDITATIVE BATH! Sorry to shout in this peaceful mind/body thread.

As for other exercise (might as well report that, too), a walk with Old Dog will have to do.

Last edited by Amarantha2; 04-10-2005 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Editing in the challenge exercise!
Old 04-11-2005, 10:57 AM   #6  
Empress/Queen

Om ...

I'm just bumpin' this, as I want this to be the most peaceful, successful and active challenge ever, so wanna see that it RISES to the TOP o' our collective consciousness.

For my mind/body connection today, I plan to walk meditatively and SLLLLLLOOOOWLY on a sort of spiraling path in one of the times I'm workin' in (in mountains) ... I've done this every week for several weeks and realize that for me, this represents a maze and I've gotten a lot out of just walking it over and over for meditation. Will also do the standing yoga pose routine I've worked out.

Thanks so much to Arabella and E for joinin' me in this quest.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:38 PM   #7  
deleted2

I went into work early this morning, now I'm home and find myself putting off my workout. Don't worry, this is something I do every day. I don't know why--it's really silly! Once I start I'm fine.
Today's plan: a 30 min. abs video, 3 miles on treadmill, and yoga. Time will tell.... I'll check in later.

Old 04-11-2005, 04:57 PM   #8  

Reporting in: Did a set of tai chi, 10 mins. guided meditation. (also 30 min walk, 15 mins on crosstrainer, 20 mins. circuit training)

Amarantha, I do thank thee for starting this thread!

Eydie, I usually work out in the morning, and if I don't I find it much harder to get it done. And I inevitably procrastinate -- seems an integral part of my make-up.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:37 PM   #9  
deleted2

I did 3 miles on the treadmill, with 10 minutes of running. [That was a surprise--didn't plan to do that!] And did the 30 min. abs tape--had to pass on the yoga.

Tomorrow's my heavy workout day, so we'll see what happens there.

Old 04-11-2005, 08:48 PM   #10  
Empress/Queen

I'm the same way; if I don't workout in the a.m., it's really hard for me to get around to it, although I enjoy doing it at night sometimes.

Today I met my mind/body challenge to meditatively walk on the spiral sidewalk. Did two 10 minute walks on it when I got stressed (I'm still at work, gotta do a meeting). Didn't do the yoga and it doesn't look like it's gonna be a happening thing, but might when I get home later.

Huzzah! Peace, om, breathe!

Oh, re the gym, I dinna go! Not goin' tomorrow either~!

Sick of the gym, actually.

Want peace.

Om shanti.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:13 AM   #11  
Hot Stuff

I'm in! Just not around much with sis and nephew visiting....will post when I can!
Old 04-12-2005, 09:37 AM   #12  
Empress/Queen

Huzzah, Wildfire!!!! Glad you are joinin' us on our mind/body march to May!!! Hurray!

My plan for the DAY (ok, it's rhyme time) is to do the spiral sidewalk meditation today again and try, try again to fit in the standing yoga routine I've worked out lately ... I'm taking a little time off from weights.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:53 AM   #13  
Learning to love ME!

Namaste, peaceful chicks! I'll going to be a late joiner. I'll do 10 minutes of pilates/yoga/meditation a day.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:21 PM   #14  
deleted2

Welcome Wildfire and Gypsy!!!

I completed my mission of doing a 60 min. "firm" video, 15 minutes weights, and 20 minutes Pilates--and I even did 1 mile on the treadmill today--a little extra bonus workout there!
I'd never done this particular 'Firm' video before, so I'm sure I was a vision flailing around just trying to keep up! I'll catch on after the 10th time! I really love those videos--I always get a good sweat going. That's my workout goal: to sweat everyday, in addition to the more meditative things, of course.

Will post my food journal later. And whether I got around to meditating or not!

Old 04-12-2005, 06:42 PM   #15  

Amarantha, Eydie, Wildfire, Gypsy! I'm actually feeling a bit under the weather. Didn't manage my regular exercise, mostly because I had volunteered to do a favor for another site editor and ended up tied to the computer waiting till it could be done. And now I'm sleepy, going to have a cup of decaf tea and go to bed. Last night I slept like a log, whether from the meditation and tai chi or slight malaise, I know not.

I managed -- qi qong + meditation. Do any of you ever visit beliefnet.com? They've got really good guided meditations -- seem to get me there faster than I can go on my own. Today I also listened to some chants -- I swear I could feel my body vibrating in response. I think I'll get this CD... http://beliefnet.com/story/138/story_13887_1.html

Om shanti!
Closed Thread