Old 03-08-2005, 01:42 PM   #1  

Default Breakfast?

I'm not looking for recipes so much as I am trying to find out what others eat for breakfast. I don't like most breakfast foods. I really don't like sweet things for breakfast. Sometimes I eat scrambled eggs with herbs, but I get so tired of eggs. I also like lox and bagels, but it is way too expensive for my grad-student budget. I need ideas. I usually end up eating dinner's leftovers for breakfast, but I need variety.
hannah_phi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:39 PM   #2  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Bran flakes with sliced banana or strawberries and 2% milk
Grilled cheese
chicken bacon or Canadian bacon on toast or with scrambled eggs
toasted rye bread with tuna, a little mayo and some garlic salt in it
cold pancakes with butter and cheese
Scottish porridge (has no sugar in it)
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #3  

Default brekkie

hannah phi-
i've been on a sprouted bread kick for the past year or so- it's flourless, sugarfree, and has lots of fiber etc. I usually have toast in the morning topped with neufchatel cheese (similar to cream cheese but lower in fat) mixed with spices or herbs (ex- zatta -- a delicious middle eastern spice mix that you could probably find in an ethnic grocery store, curry powder, tandoori spice, chives, etc) or toast topped with tahini, peanut butter (mmmm. good with curry powder!) or cashew butter. V8 juice is always a good addition, and a great way to get a veggie serving in first thing. I also will sometimes make granola bars and that way i can control the amount of oil and sugar (i don't have much of a sweet tooth first thing in the AM either)-I found the recipie on 3FC and just altered it to suit my tastes.

http://www.food-for-life.com/index.asp
(site for the yummy sprouted bread)
punkrockgrryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 03:32 PM   #4  

I usually eat two slices of Sara Lee Delightful Bread toasted with Peanut Butter. It has 90 calories for 2 slices of bread and 5 grams of fiber. Tastes good too. I have it with my one cup of coffee for the day. It's fast.
LuzenLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:10 PM   #5  

Mmm, those all sound like great ideas. I had a grilled cheese for breakfast today. It was really good.

The bread with neufchatel and zah'tar sounds great! I got some of that spice mix when I was in Israel last year. I use it on hummus and pita usually.

Thanks ladies!
Old 03-13-2005, 05:10 PM   #6  

Often I make casseroles (healthy ones, with lots of veggies or whole-grain noodles) for dinner, and the next day I'll reheat a serving of the leftovers for breakfast. That way I get a nice hot breakfast without a lot of fuss.
pegatha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 05:17 PM   #7  
banned

Location: Connecticut, but next year I plan on going to college in Colorado.....We shall see!!!

Im sorry, but if someone is trying to lose weight I dont think grilled CHEESE is going to cut it, yes this bread your eatting it on...Ezekiel 4:9® ...is wonderful for you, but cheese...Eh, I dont think so! If you want something AMAZING for breakfast that includes this bread let me tell you....
take a slice and dip it in an eggwhite and 1 egg mixture until completely coated and "fry" in pam spray on the skillet, pour the rest of the eggmixture over it and let it cook.....accompany this WONDERFUL BREAKFAST with sugar free maple syrup from naturesflavors.com.....Its my breakfast just about EVERYMORNING and It gives me so much energy to tackle the day! (And I am never hungry!!)It is truely amazing!!!
Giasbash6260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:29 PM   #8  

You use low fat cheese or the Kraft single slices reduced fat. I use wholegrain bread for mine.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:13 PM   #9  

Giasbash6260: These days its only lowfat cheese in my house. I don't think I could go without it, I would end up binging out. I weigh it out though and add tomatoes and spinach to a grilled cheese and of course whole grain bread. Your suggestion is good, but I just can't bring myself to eat sweet stuff in the morning (even if it is sugar free), I'll literally end up feeling ill.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:39 PM   #10  

I'm like that too hannah, I can't eat peanut butter on toast, waffles or pancakes with syrup for breakfast first thing in the morning. I feel sick after and get headaches I will sometimes haves those items on the weekend as I usually don't eat until 10:00 am or so and they don't seem to have the same effect then.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:36 AM   #11  

It's definitely something about first thing in the morning for me too. I can do some sweet stuff later in the morning, like for brunch, but not early. Glad to hear that I'm not bizarre, at least in that respect...
Old 03-28-2005, 05:33 PM   #12  

I eat yogurt with some wheat toast on the side. I love Polaner All Fruit strawberry jam on my toast too. When I don't eat that I'll have a soy butter and banana wrap. That's my absolute favorite

A-
autumnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:20 PM   #13  
Southern Gem

Default Thank you!

I was actually thinking the same thing this morning. I want to eat light for breakfast, but filling, and get tired of eggs myself.

I may have to try that egg/toast thing, though. Maybe with preservatives or fruit on top.

One thing I do eat, though, is Whole Grain Cheerios. Have you tried something like that, that's only lightly sweetened?
rubyblushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:54 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 238/157/138

Height: 5'4

I love instant regular oatmeal made with skim milk, add splenda, cinnamon and also sugar free maple syrup sometimes for an extra kick. Very good, filling and cheap. 195 cal

If I'm in a huge hurry I grab 2 flavored waffles from the freezer and throw them in the toaster at work. 200 cal
flxthct107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:07 AM   #15  

Is that Sara Lee Delightful Bread any good?? My weight watchers instructor said that it was great for breakfast.. Right now Im basically having Special k with red berries with fat free milk each morning.. kind of getting old!
ttugoddess is offline   Reply With Quote