Old 04-01-2005, 08:29 AM   #1  

Default Back to Basics April Edition - We're No Fools!

We are a bunch of strong, intelligent, powerful women. We know what we want. We are committed to making healthier choices for ourselves. All friends old and new are welcome to join on this journey to better selves.

My goals for April are: 1)to recommit to my average two pounds lost per week. 2)To get to the gym at least 5 times per week (should be daily), and to incoporate either classes or weights back into my routine (will work on the other one in May). 3) To think about what I am putting into my body. I know there will be some times when I do choose to eat foods that aren't the healthiest, but I want to at least be stopping the mindless eating.

Here's to us, ladies. Despite all the challenges each of us face, if we commit to our best selves, we CAN do this!

Have a great day.
jollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:09 PM   #2  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Thanks jolly, for starting up the new thread. I like the title, "we're no fools!"
Yes, it's about time I stopped acting like one, a total fool, a friggin' idiot! I have more than enough knowledge, I have the means, it may be hard finding the time but it's really more about really, really wanting it and not letting the screwballs of life leave me battin' the air.
I like the way you've restated your goals for April, something I never do, even though I think I know them.
Well, for now, it's going to be mainly to start putting exercise back into my life, exercise I can do at home, at work, all during the day, not just so I'm sitting there like an inert mass that occasionally moves toward the gym, goes through a bit of motion, then returns to inertness!
I'm also going to keep a food and exercise journal. I bought a new notebook yesterday with little blocks on the pages, not graph paper but squares with room to write in each one. I'm going to write in them chronologically, so I know just what I was stuffing in my face when and when I was moving my body. The save, especially, the small triumphs, these I will make note of. The slothful periods, the period of glutton I will TAKE note of and try to eradicate them from my life! Onward, march! The season of the cherry blossoms is upon us!

Last edited by redballoon; 04-01-2005 at 04:53 PM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 11:58 PM   #3  

Good idea with the journal, Red. I am always looking for the perfect journaling method.

I am still self medicating with the food (oh yeah, and a couple of mixed drinks REALLY helped Justin's recuperation). I need to stop that. I know it doesn't help anything. I am, however, proud of myself for getting to the gym even today. I was going crazy cleaning things in prep for him to come home. But I still ran to the gym before picking him up. Hurray. I have, however, ignored the horse the last two days. Bad mommy, but there is only so much I can do. HE will probably appreciate having less of a lard *** to carry around. I will go tomorrow.

Hope to hear from others soon. Take care, and have a wonderful day. Good luck wth your goals, Red. You can do it
Old 04-02-2005, 03:43 PM   #4  

OK. No fool, but lonely. Where is everyone??

I am still stress eating like crazy. But, I did go ride my pony today (a very nice ride), and did go work out today. Two positive things. I am staying pretty much on track with my to do lists. Another good thing. Justin is sooooo active, I am getting gray hairs. Good that he is feeling well, not so good that I wish he would just rest until the stitches come out. Getting by though.

I can't wait to hear from everyone else. I hope things are moving along for you too.

Take it easy, all.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:06 AM   #5  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Thanks for starting the new thread Jolly. I too like your choice of a title. Tho sometimes I too feel like I am the village idiot with my skewered thinking.

It's spring, rebirth, time for renewal. My goals for April are to get back in water mode again - at least a liter and 1/2 each day. Start out with regular exercise 3 times a week and work up to 5 days a week by month's end. Then I have to work on this food thing...

Red, the cherry blossoms and many other things are in bloom here. It's lovely...
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 03:21 AM   #6  
Never give up

Hi jolly, sorry to not have been posting, though I must say it is very quiet around here. Derry, Chachee, where are you? Rave, when you can please come back. Happy! glad to see you too.

jolly -- glad to hear you were able to get a ride in. I did today too. Moreson, I'm glad Justin is back and seems to be doing well. I couldn't remember who Justin was (sorry!!) and I was thinking, husband? son? boyfriend? then I remember DOG! At least, I think I got that right, right? I really have nothing much to say. I am dead tired. Want to sleep. Have to work. May have to meet someone tonight. I've put the pedometer on, over 15,000, over 22,000, today already at 12,000 but may not have much more. Good past three days, eh?

happy -- sounds like you're getting back on track! village idiot?! Nah, don't think so. You can do it. Don't give up, ok? Good luck with the exercing. You're in Tenn., right? lots of blossoms and flowers, eh? The cherrys are not out much yet but will be soon, any day now. We've has some warm ones.

Well, gotta go. Ciao tutti!
Old 04-03-2005, 11:56 AM   #7  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Happy Sunday chickies.

Short day today as we get "cheated" - well at least I always feel that way - cheated out of an hour today as we move the clocks forward for daylight savings time.

Yes Red, all is in bloom down this way - with the pinks and whites and purples and reds it's gorgeous. The opposite of fall up north - spring pastels. Here's a pic of just 2 of the azaleas in our yard - we have about 25 bushes. There's all sorts of flowers and colors. I love sitting out there. Big ole pat, pat, pat on the back on getting so many steps in - high five too But do get yourself some much needed sleep, ok?

Jolly, hope you have a better eating day today and that you were able to make it to the gym.

Raven, so sorry to hear about your puppy - it's been a really rough year for you.

Hellos, to Chachee and Linda and all other peekers. I'm off to get busy at last...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg In Bloom.jpg (38.9 KB, 26 views)
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 06:55 PM   #8  

Well, here I am on the new thread. I have been so bad this weekend.... don't even want to tell you all what I've eaten. I was convinced that I was starting over and I just feel like I am wallowing in bad habits. I must have eaten three days worth of food/calories/ww points in one day yesterday. What is wrong with me?
Have been really busy as DH is setting up a new home business and I'm trying as hard as I can to be supportive and help him, and I think emotionally it's all killing my successes. I've not had time to read your posts, forgive me.
I filled out a form today that WW gives people....I had it in my pile of papers and had never filled it out. It's really interesting.
I think I'll share it.... it will help me to type it all out and you guys might find something that "strikes" you all in it....

"Mental Rehearsing".... is practice in your imagination
Since the mind and body form one system, your mind can help prepare your body for the actual situation in which you want to behave or act a certain way. It's practiced by all top performers, be they athletes, actors, musicians, artists, public speakers or salesmen. It can also be practiced by people who want to become top performers at losing and managing their weight. Mentally reheards for weight-management success by doing the follow:

1. Identify a weight-related situation where you want to respond in a more resourceful way: __________________________________________________ ________________
2. Create a movie of yourself in the situation. Imagine yourself responding the way you want. Watch the movie. What day is it? Where are you? Who are you with? What are you saying? What exactly are you doing and how are you doing it?
3. When you're finished watching the movie, step into it, and rehearse your response in your imagination. See what you will see. Hear what you will hear. Feel what you will feel. Do what you will do.
4. Mentally rehears everyday before the actual situation.

So... I have rehearsed NOT overeating this evening while the family watches tv. Let's see how I do!
Sorry for any type-os, I am so bad....
Linda
derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:41 PM   #9  

Hey all. Real quick post. Glad people are findingthe new thread.

The only good I have to post is again making to the gym. Food is still a huge issue.

Yes, Red, Justin is my dog. He had cancer, and had to have his rear leg amputated last week. He is recovering well.

Take care everyone!
Old 04-04-2005, 06:56 AM   #10  

Just a quick post... on the fly here. My mental rehearsing did me well last night as I resisted cake and had a WW frozen 2 point dessert instead. I always have dessert!
By the way, just clarifying that my daughter is totally "off the wagon" and has been on a baking binge, hence cake in the house. She is learning how to decorate cakes and has had a lesson on it and is collecting all the specialized equipment. I think it's very artistic and she really enjoys it.
I did suggest that she practice decorating cake pans inverted to practice, and not keep baking all these wonderful things.... she is really into it. The temptation is killing my efforts, though. I love cake.
Well, off to another challenge today, my monthly quilt guild meeting - there is always tons of food!
Linda
derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:01 AM   #11  
Never give up

Good evening all. Still keeping the steps over 10,000. Months ago that would have been a cinch, but I've fallen into bad ways and now I have to think to get those steps in.

happy -- where you are sounds beautiful and thanks for the azalea photo. Things are much earlier than Tokyo it seems. Here the azaleas follow the cherry blossoms. Azaleas are usually blooming in May and there are as many of them as there are cherries in Tokyo and that's a lot! I did not get enough sleep last night thanks to a evening out with a former coworker. I didn't take my bike to meet him, thinking I could get in more steps walking there and back, which was a very fast 30 min. walk. But when we came out of the bar it was raining and I didn't have an umbrella so I grabbed a cab. Just as well I guess, I was pretty tired. It was near midnight and I'd been up since 4:30 a.m., had gotten in a tiring ride that had my horse in a nice sweat. So, happy, what are you doing with your eating and exercise. I noticed you didn't say anything. When I do that it usually means. . .well. you can imagine!

derry -- glad you found us! Again, don't fret about your overeating. Change is always stressful and you sound like you're going through a lot of it. You'll get this eating out of your system and move on. Don't worry. We are here for you so just keep sharing. I've heard about that "mental rehearsing" and I am going to try it. I think that is an excellent idea! Thanks for writing that up.

jolly -- oh, jolly, I'm so sorry to hear your dog had to have his leg amputated. I know he had to have an operation but I had no idea. You didn't say. Yikes, no wonder you were so upset. But a hind leg is easier for a dog to get along without once they get used to it. Let's hope he will have many long happy years with you! By the way, have you heard from Raven. I sent her an email. Just feel so bad for here. She has had so many rough times. And she was so sweet when my cat died. I wish there was something I could do. I know you and her are close. Please let her know how much I am feeling for her now, will you please?
Old 04-04-2005, 07:04 AM   #12  
Never give up

hi derry! Just saw your post. We must have been typing at the same time. That's a tough one for you with your daughter baking. Wow, maybe you can ask her to limit it to once a week or so, or can she bake when you're not home and then give away the cakes or something. Is there any cake you don't like? I can't stand bananas so banana cake would not even be touched by me. Also, anything with a lot of walnuts I don't like much either. Maybe she can make your least favorites? Hmm. Just a thought. . .
Old 04-04-2005, 10:52 AM   #13  

Hi all. Derry, that is a great idea to have your daughter decorate the cake pan bottoms. Less calories, and cheaper. She can take pictures of the ones she likes, for her own portfolio.

Well, I made a baby step this mroning. I had bought some chips and dip yesterday, and threw out what was left this morning. Baby steps.

I am off and running. Have to finish up my resume, go ride, go work out, and do a few other errands before hanging out with the pets and then going in to my part time job.

Have a super day everyone.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:37 PM   #14  

OK. Quick post to get us off the second page - we are starting April off slowwwwww.

the only thing I did not get done today is ride. but, since I am going to wait to get Justin's drainage tube removed Thursday, I will be able to ride tomorrow.

Hope to hear more friendly voices soon. Take care everyone.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:44 PM   #15  
Never give up

Hi jolly, sorry, no time to post and things are so slow here, it's like talking to myself. No fun at all. Good at least you're here. Glad to hear you'll be able to get a ride in. I'm off to try to do the same myself. Others! Where are you?