Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-30-2005, 09:56 AM   #1  

Default Do you regret your WLS?

I thought I would ask if any of you regret your decision to have WLS. If so why?

BabySteps
BabySteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:15 AM   #2  

No, never, not even once. That is the literal truth.

I think my preparation had a lot to do with that, however. I researched WLS, chose the one I felt would work best for me, and spent about 9 months on the "boards" for people who had that type of surgery. I saw that the first six or eight weeks post-surgery were hellish, and promised myself not to make any determination about the surgery until after that time. I saw many, many people simply shocked by how difficult that time was, and regretting their decision, only to later change their minds when the road smoothed out a bit.

I did not have a lot of the side effects that my surgery is known for, so may have had an easier course than some. I can't say.

I just know that I don't regret it, never have, and it's been nearly four years.

I also know that somewhere down the line there could be health ramifications we did not know about at the time I had my surgery, and I took that into account when making my decision. I know, however, that I would probably be dead or certainly disabled and unable to work within a few years, had I not had the surgery. If and when untoward effects happen down the road, I will have had many more happy, healthy, productive years than I would have had without the surgery. It is a chance we all take.

Hugs,

Dawna
Dawnajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:09 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

nope!!!

don't get me wrong. the first couple of months were not easy, and it takes time and attention to keep everything going on the right track. but the REAL NEWS is that EVERYONE has to devote time and attention in order to have a good outcome from WHATEVER weight loss method they choose and find successful.

it's now up to me. the surgery outwitted whatever glitch had happened in my body, but it's completely up to me to make it all work. i can live with this. after all, how long did i live trying EVERYTHING only to fail?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:26 PM   #4  

I would do it again in a minute and not blink an eye. It was the best thing that I've ever done for myself. I've lost 155 pounds, that's more then I weight now. I am more in control of my life now and food isn't my main priority of the day anymore.
Megsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:46 PM   #5  

No.
mistyseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 12:58 PM   #6  

Hi Pookie,

Thank you very much! This surgery has been the best thing that I've ever done for myself. I found this website after I had my surgery and have always fallen back on it for support. The advice and friendship that is so freely given is such an incredible.
Megsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:00 AM   #7  

Hi all, I am new to this website. I had Gastric bypass surgery Oct.1,2004 and I have lost 92lbs. The only regret I have is that I didnt do it ten years ago.

Michelle
shearin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 04:20 PM   #8  

I have not regretted for a minute having my lapband. It has not been the easiest journey for me. There have been problems, but the difference in my life overall is amazing. If I have to live with some different problems now, they are well worth the change.

I would do it again without hesitation. I would have it re-done if the need ever arises -- hoping that will never be necessary. My greatest fear is going back to the weight I was before. I consider my banding a wonderful success.
Chickita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 01:16 AM   #9  

Thank you all for posting about this. I am considering it now and have been on the "other" boards where it is very, VERY pro-WLS and was wondering if I just didn't get the scoop from those that weren't so pro-WLS. But now I realize that it isn't just those boards, but everywhere online - people who have had it are generally ecstatic with the results.

I am so psyched to begin the process of a new me. I am 27 and have my whole life to live and a 1-year-old daughter to live for. I know this is the right thing for me and could not be happier that it is in existence! A chance to be THIN!!!
Amy
mama2amaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 08:01 AM   #10  
Old Cackler

amy - it has worked GREAT for many of us, and just OK for a few, not at all for others, and ended in death for a few. i saw that you've picked an excellent surgeon, so you're in good hands. make sure you do your homework to prepare yourself. find a good psych in fact to deal with the emotional aspects of this. the mechanics - protein, water, exercise - are relatively easy compared with the not being able to eat your emotions and stress...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:35 PM   #11  

No I don't regret having it done.. Although my first one which was a gastric stapling.. well the staples came out when they did an MRI on my back so it was back to over 300 lbs.. (Don't let anyone do an MRI on you if you get the stapling type of surgery) .. So having gained it all back and having problems from the first one's being halfway out (reflux really badly) I had the normal bypass surgery.. Roux N Y .. don't know how to spell it LOL.. (I also had to go back into surgery a week after but it all worked out ok) well I out ate that one and gained most of that except for 40 lbs back. I still say that it made me feel better health wise and I learned that now I have to change what I do instead of trying to outeat every effort. I don't regret it at all because I needed it at those times in my life. For many people it is such a life changing experience and it was for me also. The reason I wasn't successful was because I didn't follow the rules after my surgery.. I drank regular pop, soups, anything that would go down easy and lots of it.. Very stupid of myself but I did.. so now I'm losing weight again the low cal method though I can eat a whole plate of stuff now.. and I still think it is helping in that I don't get really hungry. Good luck for anyone doing this.. It's a great tool to help people get on track but take care.. Hugs, Deb
dmamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 07:24 AM   #12  

I regret not having it earlier.
shearin1 is offline   Reply With Quote