Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-25-2005, 03:28 PM   #1  

Default Need Help with Protein

Hi All,

I'm having trouble getting in protein. At first, I had no problems...could just choke it down even if it wasn't the greatest. Now, just the smell of the protein powder grosses me out (yeah, I'm a product of the 80/s). I'm beginning to dread those shakes everyday and I'm avoiding them.

I bought some samples to test drive but haven't found any that are too great. Feel like I've been having too sweet carnation instant breakfasts for weeks now. I got some Nectar samples yesterday...was all excited but found I don't like the Roadside Lem or the Lemon Tea. Really don't like the froth factor...

I know I need to get this stuff in but it's really starting to be a problem...any suggestions on how to work it in. I have some unflavored Unjury that I put in ricotta and pudding...

Sorry to be a bummer...having a hard day today.

Deb
Young Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 04:07 PM   #2  

Hi Deb,

I couldn't do any of those either, I don't like the froth or the smell, texture, taste, etc...lol. I can only do the ISOPURE. I buy it by the case, it is all ready mixed, its a little expensive, but worth it to me. It seems to be the only drink I can tolerate, have you tried it yet? There are quite a few flavors. Good Luck to you!
mistyseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 04:51 PM   #3  

Go to www.proteinfactory.com. You can mix your own combination, but they have some premade formulas that you can buy where you still get to pick the flavor. Look especially at the Theta Meal Replacement Powder (MRP) and the Penta formulas, they've been rated high in taste.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:58 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

froth factor? darlin, just how are you mixing these things? i mix the nectars with a spoon. but some of the others really need the blender... and they were just WAAAAYYYY too thick and frothy for me to gag down.

so i ate them with a spoon, rather than drinking them.. might that help?

and deb...you WILL have bad days. some days, absolutely nothing will work, and other days, everything will work just great. take it slow and easy. day by day.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:12 PM   #5  

Hi All,

Finally found one that I could deal with....thank you GOD! As far as the froth factor, I was using one of those Magic Bullets. I'm still feeling tired but at least I have a protein that I can deal with....

Deb
Young Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:11 PM   #6  

I'm 21 months post op and while I have to admit I don't drink them everyday the only one that I was ever able to get down was the RTD Ultra Pure Protein. I've since tried the RTD EAS Protein Shakes sold at Walmart and they're not bad. They're 100 calories, 0 sugar, and 15 grams of protein. I only drink the chocolate or strawberry though. I had a very bad experience with the Vanilla Designer Whey and UGH never again!!!!
Megsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 06:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 329/180/150

Height: 5'4"

Woohoo!!! Pookie and Jiff, ya'll would be soooo proud of me! I did it!! I found a way to get in the predigested protein I need in a form that actually tastes good! I kinda had to cheat, and there is some sugar in it, but I think I need the protein more than I should worry about the sugar. I mixed half a serving of Intake Performance with a scoop of Slim Fast Optima (sugar fell 4th on the list when I figured the ingredients up), 10 oz of milk, 3 oz of banana and 2 tsp of nutrasweet. It came out really good. Unfortunately, it had 25 g of carbs between the two. But it does have between 32 and 35 g of protein like this. I'll try gradually cutting back on the Slim Fast every time I make a shake to get used to the taste. Maybe add a little almond paste (sugar-free) for additional protein. And add coco powder and keep the nutrasweet. That should do the trick, lol. I know, I'm terrible, but I'm really trying to make this work for me, since my palate is so damn picky.

Last edited by original_serendipity; 04-05-2005 at 06:31 PM. Reason: forgot to add some info
original_serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 11:07 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

yay!!!! and with that 32-35 grams of protein, that shake is really two servings, so that pretty much halves the carbs as well...

and about that banana.. yes, it's probably yummy, but try berries instead. much lower in carbs...
Old 04-05-2005, 11:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 329/180/150

Height: 5'4"

Wow, that's really half the average carbs? I'm impressed with my efforts, lol. Ok, I'll switch to strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries. But not all at the same time, lol.
original_serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 01:41 PM   #10  
Karen ... friend 2 all !!

S/C/G: 157/157/140

Height: 5'1

Hello Grasshopper ( Deb ) My name is MAMA BEAR ... I read your post about PROTIEN HELPS ... well I am DIABETIC & I had to find ways to get my protien too so I found out that there are other ways besides SHAKES & stuff. I have nuts, cottage cheese, cheese, bacon, sausage ( sure a lot of the meats are not good ) but there is just so many choices out there to have. When I feel I need some PROTIEN ( as in a quick fix ) I grab a BIG SPOONFUL of the good ol peanut butter & that helps me out !!

I do not know if this will HELP OUT but I thought that I would add my 2 bits. Good luck to you !! Hope to see you around !!

MAMA BEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:22 PM   #11  
Old Cackler

mama bear.. it's great to meet you. your suggestions are very helpful, but grasshopper will have to take it easy for awhile. she just recently had gastric bypass surgery and the nuts, bacon, and sausage are just a wee bit too hard for her right now.

but she'll get the hang of it. the biggest challenge is to get in the recommended 60-80 grams of protein while not being able to eat more than about 500 calories a day. so that's why the protein shakes are so necessary right now.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:35 PM   #12  
Karen ... friend 2 all !!

S/C/G: 157/157/140

Height: 5'1

Exclamation Hello Jiffypop

Thanks for the note. I read that you have had gastric bypass surgery. I had a good friend that went into have it done back in September last year well ... she had a lot of problems after the surgery & well ... it finally took her life inn January and I must admit that I do miss her. She was a very special friend. I think that people that have this done should try to loose the weight on there own first & then if all else fails then have it done but ... if you do not need it then FORGET !!

Sorry but that is just way I feel about it ... I am sorry if I upset you by what I just said ... but I pray for those that have or will be having the surgery. so I do hope that you understand.

Till next time ...
MAMA BEAR
MAMA BEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 09:15 PM   #13  
Old Cackler

mama bear.

we all need all the prayers we can get. and i'm so sorry you lost your friend. this IS risky surgery, but with few exceptions, those of us who have had it actually have indeed tried everything with no lasting success. it IS a last resort. you will NEVER see me or hear me say otherwise.

some of us have truly been in life or death situations with our weight, and we are grateful that there is an option that works for us. it's not the right choice for everyone.

here on this WLS board, we're all about supporting people as they make their own decisions, and about supporting each other through the procedure and afterwards.

we can't do this without support and constant attention to what we're doing.