Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-30-2005, 09:38 AM   #1  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Question when do you "stop" losing weight?

Okay, I'm not at my goal weight yet, but this is something I've been thinking about. I've never had a time in my life when I thought I was thin, even when I actually was thin as a teenager. I'm a little bit concerned that once I get to my goal weight, I will think I am still fat and won't be satisfied (or will harm my body with too much weight loss).

But I know that eating healthy and exercising are lifestyle changes, which I plan on doing for the rest of my life. Is there some point at which my body will just stop losing weight and start maintaining it, even if I continue to eat and exercise like I am now? Or will I at some point start eating more in order to maintain my weight? Last time I went on a diet, I lost about 30 pounds, but once I hit my goal weight I "stopped" my diet (I used slim-fast) and two years later I had gained it all back, and more. I don't want that to happen again.

Anyway, I was just curious I guess. I'm also worried that I will never be satisfied with my body (though I can definitely say I am way happier with it now than I was 30 lbs ago!). For those of you who are maintaining, did you change your habits when you got to your goal weight? Do you feel like you are happy with your weight?
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 194/175.2/140

Height: 5'2"

I think everyone's body has a natural weight. I know I'm not at mine yet because I'm still losing. I think when your body reaches its natural, ideal weight you'll stop losing. If you quit your diet and start eating more & stop exercising I think you'll gain again. But, if you continue exercising and eating healthy you will reach the weight your body's meant to be at and you'll maintain that. Hope that made sense!
josie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 02:45 PM   #3  
Mom jeans are cool,right?

I agree. Last time I lost my post baby weight, I got down to 130 and could not lose anymore. My actual goal weight was 120, so it was so frustruating. I had to work so hard to get below 130, and did manage to get to 126 but easily gained right back up to 130.

On the other hand, I could really eat a lot of junk before I'd gain above 130, and it was easy to lose the few pounds to get back to 130.

As you can see from my ticker, I'm still hoping for the 120, LOL!
CoolMom75 is offline   Reply With Quote