Old 03-28-2005, 10:59 PM   #1  
time4me

S/C/G: 221

Height: 5' 9"

Question Mom's ready to take care of Mom...

Hello! What a great group here - I'm the mother of 2 boys (6 and 4), I'm 38 years old and need to lose 60 pounds Time for me to take care of me! I always have an excuse not to, but enough is enough! How do I get started here? Where should I post? Any feedback is so welcome.....
Kelly
yankee girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:35 AM   #2  
Mom jeans are cool,right?

Hi Kelly!

I just joined, and am not familiar with the set up here, but wanted to say I have two boys too (1 and 3). I like your subject title, "Mom's ready to take care of Mom..."

We can do it!
CoolMom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:30 AM   #3  

Default hi kelly

hi kelly i am not so new i posted here before but lost touch i am also ready to take care of mom i have three girls 16,6,and 2 the 16 year old is also over weight by 100 pounds. so i am also trying to change to see if she will follow but the number one person i am doing this for is me. i need to lose 80-85 pounds. the problem is i work at mcdonalds as a manager and quitting is not an aption at this time. my pants are getting tight and i refuse to go up to the next size. i am 35 just turned 35. have a hubby who likes to sabotoge by bring home desserts and other junk food. any way i am looking for a buddy
mamamaemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:58 PM   #4  
time4me

Thumbs up Thanks for all the replies - how do we start??

I received some great replies from other moms in need of support - how do we communicate back and forth? Is there a group here or do people send private emails? I'm new at this but would love to communicate with people in the same boat...
Kelly
Old 03-29-2005, 10:04 PM   #5  
partyof5

Hi kelly,
I am also new to the site and don't know my way around yet. I would love to join a group of moms supporting each other. I am a SAHM of 3 ages 13, 12, and 9. I need to lose about 55 lbs. A group of people in the same boat sounds like alot of support. I hope that's how it works......
Marina
partyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:16 PM   #6  
time4me

Sounds good to me too, Marina. Should we just go from here? How about it girls? Zoe, Mamamaemae also responded - anyone else care to start putting Mom first?
Personally, I live in the Boston area, and we have had one LOOOOOONG winter! With digging out constantly, flu season and 2 very active kids with severe cabin fever, I have been really self medicating with food and not getting any exercise - unless you count pulling children off each other as exercise. So, that's it - let's cheer each other on - what are your stories?

Kelly
Old 03-29-2005, 11:57 PM   #7  
WW Moderator

I would suggest starting a thread in Support Groups, or if you want to keep this thread going then I can move it there for you. I think starting a thread in Support Groups is best, then this thread can direct people to your new group.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:30 AM   #8  
partyof5

Hi Kelly,
I promise never to talk about California weather. LOL. Have you lived on the east coast all your life?
I went and checked out the support thread and it looks good to me. It's exactly what I need. I'm looking foward to getting started.
I am currently doing WW on my own. My biggest problem is excercise. I have a gym membership but always make excuses why I can't go and when I do go I don't work as hard as I know I can. About 3 yrs ago I lost 30 lbs at WW and thought I could do the rest on my own. I gained back the 30 plus 5 more. I need to do it again only this time it's harder for me. I need to get into an excercise routine. I want to get in that mood that people talk about where they start to enjoy the gym, look foward to going, and it becomes a habbit. I just decided that i'm going to the gym tomorrow, no excuses.

Marina
Old 03-30-2005, 10:37 AM   #9  

Talking Another Mom

Good Morning everyone! I am new too and it sounds to me like this might be the right group for me! I am 35 and have 3 kids 16 and 11 yr old sons, and 12 yr old daughter. I started the South Beach Diet 5 weeks ago and have lost 14 lbs so far!! Yeah!!

Last edited by mom of 3; 03-30-2005 at 12:10 PM. Reason: add ticker
mom of 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:07 PM   #10  
time4me

I think I've helped built most of the gyms in this area with my various membership dues over the years. This time I've chosen to buy only some walking shoes and some hand weights. I had my husband purchase an exercise ball and video for me for Christmas, I went along well for 2 weeks, loved the "core workout" I was getting. One day my 4 year old went up to the ball with a screwdriver that was left out...I think he wanted to see what would happen when he popped it...poor ball, poor mom...I've since replaced it but need to get back on a routine.
Yes, I was born in Quincy, MA, which is just 15 minutes outside of downtown Boston, my parents were both born in the city. Today is is sunny and 50 degrees outside! Sweatshirt weather - my favorite. I'm off to the playground with the boys now to get some fresh air. I rode on a stationary bike for 40 minutes in my kitchen this morning.
I'll check back again tonight!
Kelly
Old 03-30-2005, 03:18 PM   #11  

Default Lunchtime workout

Hey I too have dropped my gym membership and am just doing what I can at home. 40 minutes on the stationary bike...WAY TO GO!! I walked 2 1/2 miles on my lunch break at work and then just ate a salad and had a diet coke for lunch. The weather here today is pretty nice too. I wore a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt to walk in. It was really windy though. Suppose I should get back to work now, check in later!
mom of 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:35 PM   #12  
partyof5

Hi girls,
I did it!! I went to the gym and did 1 hr 10 minutes of cardio. Stationary bike 30 min, cross trainer 10 min, and the glider 30 min. I've thought about cancelling my membership many times but I can't. My DH goes regularly for weight training and our kids go to the pool in the summer. In July and August the weather is anywhere from 100-107degrees and it's a dry heat. The pool is about the only outdoor entertainment we can enjoy. I just realized the time and I'm late picking up my daughter from school. Gotta go, check in later
Old 03-30-2005, 07:18 PM   #13  
time4me

Thumbs up

Nice job girls! We're off to a good start...now the diet aspect - what do you find most effective? I'm tempted to do Slim Fast, but I know it's because I'm so impatient and I think it'll work the quickest. I also know I'll get really bored with it. Any suggestions?
Kelly
Old 03-30-2005, 10:31 PM   #14  
partyof5

Hi kelly, well I tried slim fast about a yeat ago and I don't know how to say this in a nice way but I had diarrhea every day. My body wasn't used to all the fiber, I guess. I've talked to other people who said it worked for them but it was a temporary thing. I'm doing the WW points which I have done many times in the past and now i'm reading up on calorie counting and actually considering it. For April I want to excercise 5-6 days a week and continue with WW's. If i'm happy with results then I may stay with that plan if not I'll probally try calorie counting.
In your earlier note you mentioned "core workout" is that the excercise video with the ball? I bought a ball because I have a bad back and was told they are good for stretching but I've never used it. I'm willing to try any excercise that someone says they love!

BTW: Are we moving this thread to Support Groups. If so i'm not sure if you choose a new title but I like your original one (moms taking care of moms).
Marina
Old 03-30-2005, 10:46 PM   #15  
WW Moderator

Just say the word and I'll move the thread for you. I can move the whole thing if you like, and you can just keep this thread going.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote