Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-23-2005, 08:46 AM   #1  

Default menopause weight gain

i have tried, weight watchers, slim fast, low carb and can not lose the 20 lbs since my hysterectomy. Help
msredneckgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:19 AM   #2  

I haven't had a hysterectomy, however I have also gained weight since starting menopause. I have also tried Weight Watchers and low carb diets. The only thing that seems to make any difference in the weight and the way I feel is since I joined Curves.
galpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:27 PM   #3  
Ellie

msredneckgirl, Hi I took have put on some # since I have started menopause. I am a lifer in Weight Watchers and the only thing that I have tried to do is, I have increased my exercising. And believe it or not I have dropped some of the #. So if you are careful what you eat and increase your exercising the weight will come off. Also increase or start drinking or eating my calcium.

I hope this helps.
kazik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 03:31 PM   #4  
Liz, Dressage Queen

S/C/G: 160/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Red face Menopause

I agree with everyone. It's very difficult to lose weight during these years and I mean years. I lost 30 pounds with no problem, but slowly gained 15 back. Now I have a difficult time getting down 1-2 pounds. As you can see by my weight tracker, 3 pounds have been off, but it's taking a very, very long time to keep it going in a downward fashion.

I'm exercising more vigorously and really watching what I eat. I'm not eating my extra exercise points in my daily points. My goal is to stick to my 22 points and not use the flex or exercise points during each day. Sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't. I'm learning not to beat up myself because of it.

A friend told me that once she was completely over menopause, she started to lose weight again. I can only hope!

Have a good weekend and stay OP no matter how hard it gets.
dressagequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:20 PM   #5  

Anyone else using hormone replacement? I am taking "natural" or "bioidentical" estrogen/progesterone to ease my symptoms, but I have gained a lot of weight as well. I'm not sure if the weight gain is from menopause in general or the medication or both. It certainly appears as if my metabolism has slowed. And the state of my abdomen!...yikes!

I'm thinking about trying the 5 small meals a day program. Anyone here on hormone replacement and NOT gained weight?
Gladdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:08 PM   #6  
Meg

Quote:
I'm thinking about trying the 5 small meals a day program. Anyone here on hormone replacement and NOT gained weight?
I'm on HRT and successfully maintaining a 120 pound loss - for almost three years now. I lost the weight at the same time as I was going through menopause AND I'm hypothyroid on top of it, so you'd think it would be darn near impossible for me to lose, but it really wasn't hard. I did the five small meals a day (try it! - it really helps), counted calories, did daily cardio, and learned to love lifting weights (still do all these things religiously). Once I got honest about what I was eating and started doing some serious exercise, it all came together and the weight came off.

Regardless of hormones and menopause, it still comes down to calories in versus calories out. Our metabolisms slow as we get older because we lose muscle mass every year - you naturally lose 30% of your muscle between the ages of 20 and 70 (unless you're working to rebuild it). So even if your weight stays the same as when you were in high school, your body composition is changing dramatically as you age. Less muscle = slower metabolism = weight gain. The only way to counteract the natural loss of muscle as we age is ... ... weight lifting/resistance training. Every kg (2.2 pounds) of muscle that you add to your body burns an additional 50 calories a day. 24/7. Not too shabby! It's the best way that we can fight back against the dread middle-age weight gain.

I'm completely convinced that weight lifting is the Fountain Of Youth for women in their 40s and beyond. It will increase your metabolism, strengthen your bones, and get you a tight, toned body. Plus, it's fun!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 02:38 AM   #7  

Meg, I printed out your response so I can refer to it easily for inspiration.

You are AMAZING!!!!
Thank you for taking the time to give me some much appreciated direction. (Now I need a kick in the pants! )

Glad
Gladdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:16 AM   #8  

HELP!!! I had my hystrectomy in May and up to that point I had lost 25 lbs on ww. Since my surgery I have gain 15 back. It seems like I'm always hungry and I crave, I mean really crave sweets and breads. I've never even liked breads before. Anyone got any suggestions?
staceyk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:45 AM   #9  
Uber-Moderator!!

I haven't gone thru menopause yet, but at 42.5 years old, I'm fairly sure I'm on the cusp.

To supplement Meg's wise words, I'd like to recommend (once again!) the book by Pamela Peeke - Body for Life for Women. Even though I have read elsewhere detractions by BFL devotees that the new book is 'not simple enough' or 'too complicated' (etc) and yada yada - I found the book to be VERY informative. One critical element that applies in this instance is that the author breaks down women's weight issues by age - something the original BFL (which was written, IMO, more for the guys) did not cover. Most of us gals have learned by experience that losing weight becomes a different journey as we go through different stages of life, ya know?

Anyway - I'd recommend the book - try your local library - betcha they have it!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:45 AM   #10  
Mel

I lost and have maintained my weightloss through menopause with no HRT. I completely changed the way that I ate and the way I exercised. For me, the keys were giving up added sugars, refined and processed foods, eating 5 meals a day, and adding serious weightlifting to my exercise. (See Meg's post above- we live a very similar lifestyle.)

Let me second the idea that the Fountain of Youth is in the gym! I feel and look ten years younger than I did ten years ago I meet new clients my age who I'm sure are 10 years older than I am until I go through a health history with them and find out their actual birthdates.

I've seen references to the "inevitable 10-15 pound menopause gain" but if you are careful, change your eating and your exercising, it doesn't have to be inevitable. If you make no changes, you will lose muscle and add fat!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote