mnemosyne
the muse of memory

Default African Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burritos

African Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burritos

Ingredients

Cooking spray
1 medium yellow onion
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2+ tablespoons chunky peanut butter (use reduced sugar or natural)
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 can black beans, 15-oz, drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)

Flour tortillas

Toppings
Salsa
Chopped green onions
Chopped fresh cilantro
Fat free sour cream or yogurt, if you like

1. Chop raw sweet potatoes into chunks. Put in an oven-safe dish or roasting pan, spray with cooking spray and roast in a 415 degree oven until soft (about 30 to 45 minutes). I added 1/2 of a chunked onion on the bottom, and cooked them uncovered for 15 minutes, and covered for the rest of the cooking time. After about 40 minutes, I turned off the oven and left them in there for another 1/2 hour until I was ready to use them.

ALTERNATIVELY: you can simply use canned sweet potatoes. If your sweet potatoes are canned in syrup, drain and rinse them before using. They'll be about 30-40 calories more per cup than un-syruped potatoes.

2. Once the sweet potatoes are cooked (or if you are using canned), sautée the onion in a non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium heat. Add the garlic and sautée for another minute. Don't let the garlic burn.

3. Add black beans, sweet potatoes, and peanut butter to the skillet. Stir together and mash to the consistency you prefer. My sweet potatoes were well-cooked, so I ended up with a texture similar to that of refried beans.

4. Add cumin, cinnamon, and cayenne and mix well. Reduce heat to low, cover and heat a few more minutes until heated through, stirring to ensure the mixture doesn't scorch.

5. Meanwhile, heat your favorite tortillas. Spoon a portion of the mixture into the center. Add salsa and whatever toppings you like (I think the cilantro is a must, but there is no need for cheese). Fold to enclose fillings and serve.

I get four servings at 220 calories/serving for the sweet potato and black bean mixture - varying by the size of the potatoes. Total calories per serving would depend on the tortillas you use and whether or not you add sour cream. Really interesting: great texture, unique flavor - I think the spicy/sweet combination. Easy to make, and easy on the budget and mad crazy healthy.

Last edited by mnemosyne : 03-14-2005 at 10:24 PM.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote