Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 05:10 PM   #1  

Thumbs down Pregnant and Staying Fit ~ July 2001!!!

I hate starting a new thread--okay, so I don't really hate it! But, since it IS July 10th already, I thought it would be good and fresh to start a new one! It's just that we have been getting more replies lately, and has anyone noticed how many people "view" the pregnant and staying fit thread? I find it fascinating!

At our last thread, Shei and Jen had mentioned that they would like us to keep in touch, post baby. I think that is a great idea, and we can certainly do that!

Are there any newly pregnant ladies out there Lurking, but afraid to post? If so, please join us! We seem to be dwindling here now that so many of us are getting ever so close! It's hard to believe that it is happening so fast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I went to see my OB today, and I passed the gestational diabetes 1 hour test that I took on Saturday. My CBC was also looking great and my iron count was excellent--which is not too bad for a girl who forgets to take her vitamins.
So, I go back in 2 weeks and that's that. We talked about the current recommendations for women attempting VBAC, she said it canges something like every 5 years...but encouraged me to maintain my plan to try and let me go into labor on my own, going as far as 40-41 weeks. Send me some good labor vibes you guys! I'm quite happy that she is encouraging about this without being passive to the possibility that I may need another c-section. Personally, I am too busy to have to have a recovery rate of 6-8 weeks, but we do what we must...

Yesterday was my Firstborn's 10th birthday! It is a tradition to watch thier birth video's on the birthday, if they want to. I had a vaginal delivery, and the video is pretty up close and personal. It's amazing how much we seem to forget about birthing. It's even harder to believe that I have a TEN YEAR OLD!
Comparing a vag vs' c-section, watching myself of course--because it just isn't the same watching it on "A Baby's Story". I looked so scared when I had the c-section, but I don't recall any really negative feelings about it. It really concerned me that I was awake and having an operation. But, it goes so fast. Looking at the Vag Birth, I can't say that I looked so at ease, but I was not scared. I looked more intense and anxious, and it was really hard to make a decision when I had to choose having a episiotomy (which I didn't want to have if it came down to it) but my thoghts flew out the window when it was time to decide.
That's why it was terrific having my DH there, to handle everything that we had talked about.

I am officially 29 weeks pregnant and there is only 11 weeks to go! I can't believe that it is happening so fast. We have our painters coming in to do the nursery on the 19th, and I can't wait! I actually broke down and bought some clothes for Bellybean from Gymboree on line. They have the cutest stuff, and it is well made. I tend to buy stuff when it is on sale though...
I'm trying to get my layette together, so he'll have clothes when he arrives.

Does anyone remember me being sad about not having a shower this time? Well, 2 other friends told me that they wanted to have a shower for me in September when we know that everyone is back from vacations and all that. I am flattered and tickled to be having a celebration for my 3rd baby. It makes me very happy!

Okay, so how is everyone else? How are the doctor's appointments, how are you feeling, what is going on in your home these days?

Is anyone else melting from the heat? Chicago is very hot right now, and is supposed to go back to the mid 70's tomorrow. Which I am fine with. Normally, I love the heat, but this is a different year!

Everyone stay cool and HEALTHY!

Blessings all around,
Scully and Bellybean

Last edited by Scully; 07-10-2001 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-14-2001, 05:44 PM   #2  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Default 8 weeks to go!

I can't believe that I only have 8 weeks left. I'm starting to be sooooooo nervous. We are nowhere near done the work on the nursery though I'm sure if worse comes to worse he/she will be fine in a bassinet in our room until we get everything ready. Actually I'm off work as of Aug. 6 so I'll still have a bit of time to get things ready. I just feel nervous and kind of wish everything were done so I wouldn't have to even think about it.

My dr's office called on Friday, my ultrasound from 3 weeks ago was fine, no problems at all. So that was really good news. I'm back at the dr's on Wednesday and have my first prenatal class that night as well. The week after that we have our hospital preregistration and tour. Things are getting busy!

Scully - glad to hear your diabetes check was okay. I got out of it because I am a nurse and have access to glucose testing machines at work so I promised my dr I would check my blood sugar at work on a regular basis and so far everything has been fine. ooh I can't believe you videotaped the birth of your children. I don't even want any pictures until I am out of the labour room and have had a shower and a nap! The heat hasn't been too bad here lately, we had a really bad week back in June but July has been mostly in the 70's, I'm hoping not too many more of those nasty humid sticky days coming up.

Oh I went to the Home Depot yesterday and had my first 'are you having twins' question. I am huge but I have only gained 28lbs according to my scale at home and even then I think about 5 of that is water. Well we'll see after the birth. I know you lose about 25 lbs right away from the weight of the baby, placenta, amniotic fluid, blood and you sweat off a lot of the excess water in the first few days. Plus I intend on breast feeding and that is supposed to help as well.

So when should we start our new group? Can't really call it Pregnant and Staying Fit. There aren't too many of us that are here regularly so why don't we do it after everyone has had their baby. Now I'm due Sept 6, Scully is what mid September and I'm sorry Geneve I don't remember when you are due. Sara is due about the same time I am and bensmom has had her baby. Any thoughts?

Take care all, have a nice weekend!
Old 07-15-2001, 12:01 AM   #3  
bc

Angry

Can I join you folks? I am not pregnant. I had my baby 8 weeks ago today.

I was following WW before and gave up while I was pregnant (only after many people told me I shouldn't) It really didn't matter because my appetite goes down when I am pregnant.

Well I am nursing now and it is up way up. I think I have to do something or I will gain instead of loosing.

It would be nice to have some support with other pregnant or nursing mothers.

Let me know if joining you folks is ok.

Barb
Old 07-16-2001, 09:57 AM   #4  
Pending Email Confirmation

Hi Everyone, and welcome to Barb, so tell us about the baby then!
I have about 4 weeks left and at long last I'm starting to feel like I might be ready for another baby after all.
This one is due August 10th. Still can't decide if I should have the section or not, frankly I'm not keen on either option!
Haven't weighed myself for a few weeks as I don't want to get hung up on it at this late stage. I have read that the last few weeks the baby should be gaining about a kilo a week in fat, so Iknow it will be going up.
I'm fine for glucose etc which is a worry off my mind, especially when my biggest problem is the potential size of the baby.
I have been very busy trying to make sure I see my friends while I can still get out for the evening. As ever I find it so touching that they still want to hang out with me, none of my oldest group of friends have babies and only one or two have married so (even though they are my age...30's) I feel they must get sick of hearing about my life. On the other hand I totally overdid it during the week and by last friday I had to be dragged out of bed in time for the eveniong curry I was so looking forward to! Going out without DH seems to have woken him up a bit too and he wants to take me out on a 'date' next week....I'm intrigued. He also came home with the most fabulous bracelet last week...I had hoped for a little something after the birth, but apparently he wanted me to have something now, for being me. I cried for hours!!Its just beautiful, and it was so nice of him to chose it over a ring as I can't wear rings while I'm working. So I'm in love again!
It's still very hot here too, with the odd thunderstorm to clear the air. I hope it stays fine for my boys 4th birthday on friday and the party on sunday.
Well done for starting the July thread Scully. Left to me we'd still be in May!
Happy swellings to the pregnant ones, happy babies to the others.
Geneve
Old 07-17-2001, 09:58 PM   #5  

I didn't realize that you could 'see' that ppl were lurking. Scully has inspired me to stop lurking and post. Hello again. Some of you may or may not remember me, but I've posted before. I AM BACK!!! Yipee! I suffered a miscarriage this past mid-March. But once again I am pregnant. I'm just over 12 wks!!!!! I've had numerous HSG testing and 3 u/s already--everything is looking great. I had my 1st 'official' OB visit yesterday and my doc was able to find the heartbeat immediately with the doppler. Needless to say I've been so nervous, but I'm just recently starting to calm down. I'm feeling good....tired, foods aren't exciting me yet, I'm struggling with my exercise these days. Although I've only gained 1 lb, my belly is sticking out. That is the just about my story. I'm so very glad to be back and feel so blessed that everything appears normal this time. So, it looks like I'm the newbie. Hopefully, some others will join too.

Ann

m/c 4/96
1/2 twin m/c 7/96
DD 2/97
m/c 3/01
EDD 1/31/02 !!!!
Old 07-17-2001, 10:28 PM   #6  
bc

Thumbs down

Geneve, well the baby is a girl named Isabelle. She was born at home and all went extremely well. She was 9 pounds when the midwife weighed her and 10 pounds when we went to the doctor two days later (so I say someone's scale was off -who knows which). She has two big brothers (8+6) who love her to death

I have all of the tools for WW just need the motivation to get started! When I got pregnant I had been following it and doing pretty well I think. I had a friend who was going to do it with me (we are doing it at home) but she never got off to a great start back when and doesn't seem to be starting now either. It would be nice to "talk" with other women who are doing WW and pregnant or nursing.

How many in your group? Anyone with a baby already who would like to support another mom?

Right now I am trying to add small things like working out 3X a week and after I get that done adding other facets of WW. I think I will be doing this for sometime. I didn't really gain weight when I was pregnant but I still have plenty of extra weight to lose.
Old 07-18-2001, 06:22 AM   #7  

Hi everyone. Ann, nice to hear from you, the miscarriage must have been terrible for you, but 12 weeks is the big hurdle...one third of the way there already and only up one pound sounds good to me. Look after yourself...
Barb, oh, I'm jealous! I would LOVE a little girl but I'm sure this is a boy (I already have one boy and just feel like I couldn't have a girl for some reason) and the name Isabella is on my'list'. I'd also love to have a home birth but not an option for me...so give your little one a kiss from me.
I have just returned from the supermarket, my least favourite chore but had to buy birthday party stuff for Ted's big day. While I was in there I thought I was going into labour..back ache, felt sick, cramp..I was gripping the trolley so tight my knuckles were white, but back home it has gone away. I was terrified!I thought I hadn't decided on the type of delivery yet but I now realise I do want a section..I was so scared!
I attended a baby recussitation course yesterday, part of my anti natal classes..it was brilliant and if you can find one I'd strongly recommend it, you practice the kiss of life thing on a life like doll, can see when you are inflating the chest, getting a pulse etc. Iknow when ted was a baby there were a few times he was fast asleep and all white and still and I wasn't sure what I should od, well, now I know how to tell if there is a problem and if there is whatI can do about it which is very good for the confidence.
Scully, how can you tell if people are lurking?
Best to all of you,
geneve
Old 07-19-2001, 09:46 AM   #8  
Jen

Hi all. Just a quick post today as I have a lot planned for the day. Had a dr's appt yesterday, everything is well. Had the 1st prenatal class last night. It was interesting but some of it was a bit of a waste. It will be better I think next week when we start more on relaxation and comfort techniques for during labour.

Geneve - you can tell how many people have looked at our posts at the screen that shows all the different threads under Misc. Groups. Right now there are like 7 replies but the thread has been viewed by 73 people.

Welcome to the newbies! We are going to arrange some kind of postpartum group soon and I'm sure there will be a few new preggers coming in. Take care all.
Old 07-19-2001, 03:40 PM   #9  
Mom to 2 beautiful girls!

HI everyone. Just wishing you all happy PG vibes!! I lurk here once in awhile mostly because I was a regular up until I had my little girl on Oct. 29, 2000!! Now I am back on WW and posting elsewhere! Hopefully sometime next year I will be back with baby #2!!!

Oh and.... easy labor vibes... to everyone!
Old 07-19-2001, 08:22 PM   #10  

Hello Everyone! Nice to see all the new and not so new faces here!
Sorry it gets so long between my postings...

Everything is going well here, with the exception that my DH just got laid off. Can you believe the timing? But overall, we are looking at this very positively because he has a wonderful education, and a ton of experience. It is somewhat stressful, but I am hanging in there, enjoying the time that he has been home. I'm sure that I must've spent sometime complaining about being a bit lonely without him. lol

Jen-L hello and thanks for the easy labor vibes. Hey would you mind sending me just plain labor vibes, so I don't have to be induced?
Seriously, I am trying to attempt a VBAC, but a lot of it depends on me going into labor on my own.

Jen: Glad to see that someone is doing classes. I guess that since I did it twice, I am forfeiting doing it a third time. I would like to take a relaxation/hypnosis class, but I'm not sure if I will. Getting in exercise and strength training is my goal--now if it would only COOL DOWN!

Geneve: You never know what you are having unless you get the U/S or Amnio... I know that you know that already, but you have a 50/50 chance (as DH always said) I say, trust your gut. You know that I wanted a girl, but God seemed to have other plans for me.
You are right, we all need to take an infant CPR class! It is a definite on my list of things to do before Bellybean comes.

Ann: I am very glad that you came on to join us. Very soon, you will be one of the leaders here! It's amazing how fast the time passes! Blessings on your wonderful news! You have made a great start and so much to look forward to. Don't worry, in a few weeks, you'll have a huge breakthrough on your energy level! At least you won't be like me and have to get through the Third Tri during the HOTTEST summer months! But I am enjoying every blessed minute!

Oh and last but not LEAST! bc "Barb" You may certainly join us if you'd like! If there are any new moms out there looking to commisserate with another new mom, peek in and say so. It's great to have threads to talk to other people who know and understand the stage we're in!

If anyone is interested in another group NEW MOMS TOO! Go to:
www.thelaboroflove.com <click on this URL and it'll take you there! Look around, find the message boards and sign in! I'm at Due in September and Third Tri and Pregnant over 30...hope to see you there as well!

It has an amazing amount of different stage women from newly pregnant to EVERYTHING inbetween. People from the U.S., and all over the world! UK , Austrailia and Ireland, etc. I highly recommend it. There are some really nice women there too, and a group for women who are pregnant and over 30! :lol But most importantly, it's just another resource for us who are interested in a support group for women...not that this is less than great! But TLOL is a little different.

Well, I go back to the doctor on Tuesday for my 31 week check up! It is amazingly going by so fast! Yeah, I know, I probably say that everytime! I'm serious though, I can't believe that I have less than 10 weeks to go!
And Geneve! You are SO close! WOW!

I'll be back with a report when I go see my doc! I'm glad to see a lot of posting going on here! Glad to see that everyone is doing well and is happy and healthy!

Hugs and Bellyrubs to All~
Scully and Bellybean

Last edited by Scully; 07-19-2001 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-20-2001, 07:38 PM   #11  
Jen

Hi all. I was feeling extremely depressed earlier today but I have snapped out of it. Just feeling overwhelmed I guess. Also I think I overdid it yesterday working around the house and I was overtired and sore.

Extremely hot and humid here today and supposed to continue for a few more days. Of course I am back to work tomorrow, I'll be sweating like a pig.

Scully - sorry to hear about the DH being laid off. Mine has been talking about quitting his job and has been really stressing me out. I know he won't but I wish he would stop talking like that.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 07-20-2001, 10:30 PM   #12  
bc

Jen, my husband talked the whole time I was pregnant about taking a family leave after the baby was born. When I worried about it he assured me he wouldn't do it with an exgerated "Oh no, I would never do that". (I should mention he is the one who works outside of the home here.) Well we had the baby (two months ago today) and he applied for the leave without telling me. The one problem is this leave is without pay!!! We haven't got a savings to live off of.

So now his leave has started. He got his last pay check for the summer and it is already gone. I suspect the credit cards are going to be used to cover this. Oh yes instead of helping out with the children he is throwing our schedule WAY off. I haven't been able to get anything done of my own. I think if he was working I would have.

Needless to say this caused me GREAT stress! He didn't do this a year ago when I was working full time and making as much as he does, instead he does it when I can't possibly work! I told him it was as if I got a full time job and told him after the fact. With each one it is doing something that affects the family without consulting the partner.

I was a teacher and I am trying to think of this as the summers when I didn't have a paycheck. The one major difference is we have three children now and I use to save for the summers.
Old 07-21-2001, 06:54 AM   #13  

This is so weird! My DH took redundancy at the end of April,the idea being that we could use the money to pay a chunk off the mortgage, buy a new, more child friendly car and he could afford to work closer to home rather than commuting to London every day. Well, since then he has had a few half hearted interviews, and tells me he now has a job but no start date fixed yet as he'd like to hang on until after the baby is born. And like you I've found it very stressful. I know he can get another job (I.T so easy for him) but I'm desperate for security right now, I think because I am pregnant, it seems to be one of those nesting things!
It has been nice having him at home, I get a lie in most mornings for one, but I wish he would get out there and start earning...AND no sign of the car so far!I drive the Polo my Dad gave me years ago, it's a 2 door and as I'm sure many of you know, getting a baby in and out of the back seat of a car is hard on the back, PLUS I can't get my pram into the little trunk space.
Well I know I'm a whinger but if he was sitting here all sweaty and swollen up he'd be whining too!
My BP is up for sure, I had some problems with my vision the other day and had to go and lie down for a few hours. I was tempted to call the doc out but I know thay'd put me in the hospital and Ijust want to get through this weekend first...my boy was 4 yesterday and it's his party tomorrow, I would hate to leave him. I'm seeing the midwife monday and will see what she says.
Oh well, back to the party preperations, I have made little cakes shaped like faces, have to make some merangues that look like mice and a big cake that looks like a pirate ship, I think I must be mad, but then it's his last time as an only child so I want him to remember this one.
One one thing, I'm so hot I'm not in the least tempted by a kitchen full of chocolate, sweets & cake!
Yo Ho Ho,
geneve
Old 07-21-2001, 11:13 AM   #14  
bc

Geneve those cakes sound very cute. My son had his 6th birthday a month before I had Isabelle and I made it a minimal party. We went to a play place and I had cupcakes and goodie bags made. I was unabashedly (is there such a word?) minimizing my effort. He didn't mind he had a good time.

Is a redundancy like a layoff? Does a person get a severance package? I am asking because I read a book recently that the main character was made redundant. We don't use those terms so I figured I would check it out with you.

I suspect this is husbands responding to the pressures of working and supporting a family. Each child we had my husband would do a similar thing. With the first child I had a job to go back to but the moment I resigned he would get stronger and stronger urges to toss it all in the air. I think he is wrestling with the idea of being a "breadwinner" and having a responsibility. He is the youngest of 9 children and I suspect he would have liked to be carefree for much longer. Either that or a midlife crisis.

Barb
Old 07-21-2001, 06:34 PM   #15  
Jen

Well I know my hubby hates his job and I don't blame him for wanting to quit. The thing is that he has had the same problem at every job he has ever had. He lasts a couple of years and by then everyone is an a**hole (pardon my language) and he is paranoid that everyone is out to get him. It isn't really the job it is him I think. He just takes everything so personally. I never met anyone who stressed so much that they had a constant headache and stomache ache from stress. He is hoping to go to work with his best friend in his garage which I think would work out but right now his buddy can't afford to hire him so he has to stay. We need his paycheque, there is no way we would be able to survive without it. He has spent so much money this summer on his car racing that we are huge in debt again. The sad thing is that we would have been out of debt by the end of the summer if he hadn't started racing. He bought a truck, a trailer and has spent $1000's on the car. It almost makes me cry thinking about it.

bc - whatever you do DON"T GET INTO CREDIT CARD DEBT in place of income. You will so regret it. We have had this problem for years and years and I can't seem to stop my husband from getting us into more trouble. I saw the light at the end of the tunnel after years and now we are right back where we started. And I swore never again. Hah!
Closed Thread