Old 03-11-2005, 03:38 PM   #1  
Jennifer

Default I'm So Nervous!

Since May when I started going to the gym, I have gotten friendly with some of the trainers, who are a fun bunch of people. They've noticed that I've made progress (well, ****, I'm there every day!) and have offered me a free personal training session, but I never took anyone up on it.

HOWEVER, last week this one woman named Sophie told me she was giving me two free personal training sessions just because she's "proud of me." I made it really clear to her that I can't afford to buy any sessions (they are nearly $100/session!), but she absolutely *refused* to take no for an answer. She insisted that it wasn't a sales pitch, that she just thinks it would be really helpful for me to pick up some new exercises and build a comprehensive program. AND she said I'd mess up her karma if I didn't take them. I don't want that on my conscience!

Anyway, my first session is tomorrow, and while I'm looking forward to it, I'm also SO NERVOUS! When I first joined, I got a complimentary session, but I was so nervous and out of shape (and hadn't eaten anything all day... so stupid!) that I almost passed out, and we had to stop the session early. Even though I know I'm actually pretty fit now, I have this irrational fear that I won't be able to do the stuff she wants me to do!

Anybody with or without a trainer want to assuage my fears? Am I pathetic, or what?
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I would love to have a personal trainer. I think you will do wonderfully. Like you said you were out of shape and hadn't eaten. Look at how far you've come in that time. I think you will amaze yourself at what all you will be able to do and like having that guidance.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:54 PM   #3  
Learning to love ME!

I worked out with a personal trainer about 5 years ago (she was VERY affordable!). I learned some really neat exercises that I hadn't seen before, and learned some techniques to improve my lifting. I'm sure you'll be able to do it, and will learn a lot! Have fun...And we're all proud of you!
Gypsydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:56 PM   #4  

Just remember, the point is not for you to perform, but to learn. The point isn't for her to judge you but to help you.

I take yoga weekly, and I sorta felt the same way going into class the first time. I just tried to remind myself to focus on what I needed to get out of it instead of worrying about the impression I was making. It helped!
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I love the idea of a personal trainer, and everytime I've had one I've learnt SO much. How to make the exercise more effective, and lots of different kinds of exercises too. Don't be nervous you will be great! I was in school get my degree in health and fitness and wanted to be a trainer at a women's gym, women really need to be doing more weights.. I am so excited for you!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:16 PM   #6  

How cool is that?!! Soak up every bit of info you can and RELAX! You're gonna do great. Look at how far you've come, you can handle this! And she knows you can handle it too, or she wouldn't have insisted. I'm excited for you! What an awesome opportunity to learn some great tools to aid in your progress. So eat something, enjoy yourself, and take pride in your newfound level of fitness!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:29 PM   #7  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I've never had a personal trainer but my school's gym has instructors that pop in and out and they love me, so every once in awhile they stop by and make me do some exercise I haven't done before. You are going to LOVE it. She's going to make you do something things that are going to be different and challenging and then the next day, you're going to be SORE!

Out of curiousity, are you doing free weights yet? If I was a trainer and I saw your progress, I'd be pushing for you to do free weights if you weren't already. Yay for karma!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:24 AM   #8  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Smile

Aw, Jen, you're going to have a great time! Did you know when you started that you'd be a person who loved going to the gym every day? Did you know you could consistently face your demons and work your tail off and drop 71 pounds in the time you have? Did you know you could prove to yourself that you could meet your commitments to yourself?

You have to extend yourself in order to grow. You know that. You're up for this. This trainer knows it now, and you'll know it tomorrow. Tell her before you start that you're nervous, just get it out of the way so you know you did. I'm sure she's totally used to that, but it might help you to get it off your chest.

Now get out there and kick some ***! I'm really just so proud of you, Jen. I really, really am.

Man I love karma! (Except when it's a *****! )
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 07:56 AM   #9  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Jen,

Go for it ~ you have done so wonderful already ~ you will do great. Don't do like I did (this is pathetic) I spent my hard earned money for a couple sessions with a trainer ~ she evaluated me and set up a program for me tailored to what I would be able (in my unfit state) to do. Then before I was able to go back and do the things she had taught me, I hurt my knee and was unable to go. When my knee got better, I had forgotten how to use the machines, and was too chicken to go back. I was ok when she was with me, but felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb amidst all the fit looking people, with out her.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:20 AM   #10  
ˇpoco a poco!

Wink

You´ll be GREAT! I´m sure you'll relax once you get started, and enjoy every minute!!
verity78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:57 AM   #11  
Jennifer

Just a quick update. I had my first session on Saturday, and it was amazing! We focused on all functional exercises, which I don't really do often (to her chagrin), and I will say this -- she totally kicked my ***. My legs were literally shaking from trying to do all the squats and lunges she had me do. I think I held my own, although in typical Jennifer fashion I made more than one self-deprecating comment.

As someone mentioned, YES, I was probably more sore yesterday than I've ever been in my life. Every part of my lower body ached (OK, and still aches) -- my abs, my back, my quads, my glutes, my calves. In fact, I was a little discouraged because I was so sore I didn't do any cardio yesterday. I'm hoping to go this afternoon, but I still feel so incredibly stiff. I'm going to get some L-Glutamine this week to try to counteract some of the soreness next week.

I only wish my eating this weekend would have been better... Oh, well. Must keep going, no matter what.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement! I appreciate them more than you could know.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:04 AM   #12  

Well done Jen. I had a personal training session a couple of months ago, and it was brilliant, I am about due for another one, they are going to teach me to run instead of walk!!! I walk up mountains on the treadmill now to get my heart rate to the desired level!!!! I want to try some more core stability work, the squats have done wonders for my derriere, my tummy is my major challenge, my dh calls it his stress ball as it's so squishy!!!!

Keep up the good work!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 10:18 AM   #13  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Great going, Jennifer. I would be nervous, I've never had a trainer or even stepped into a gym. I'm working up to joining the gym, and I've actually contacted the local Y.

I wouldn't feel discouraged, you tried something new and overcame your fears about it. Those shake ups in routine take a little adjustment sometimes. It's all a journey. Take care.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 11:14 AM   #14  
Jennifer

Ooh, Marge, you should definitely go. If I can drag myself into a gym, anyone can! I was so nervous the first day I went in I nearly threw up in the bathroom (that's how neurotic I am), but I learned really quickly that nobody really cares about anyone else in there... I think there are generally two groups of people in the gym. The first is so nervous to be there in the first place that they don't notice anybody else, anyway. The second is too busy looking at themselves in the mirror!!

Seriously -- if you ever want to trek up to Manhattan, you could come to Crunch as my guest just to get over the "gym hump." I think one time and you'd be a natural!
Old 03-16-2005, 11:23 AM   #15  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Thanks, Jennifer! Rob and I are taking a tour of the Y this Friday and I already ordered some sweats. I appreciate the encouragement too. I told myself originally that I would wait until I lost another 20 lbs before I joined a gym. For some reason that weight seemed to me like it would be "less embarrassing" and I'd be "more able"

I'm still not able to see postings at this forum unless I hit reply But if you're interested I started a thread under Miscellaneous Clubs called Gettin' Together http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54896
Love to see you there (and anyone else who might be interested).
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote