View Single Post
Old 03-11-2005, 05:13 PM   #9
Suzanne 3FC
it's always something

SupraSvelte contains Orthosiphon and Garcinia Cambogia. It may also contain other ingredients, but this is all the advertisement lists. I'll look into it further later.

Orthosiphon is a diuretic and should not be used if you have certain health problems. The FDA has not reviewed this ingredient for safety. You should ask your doctor if you can take it. It should definitely not be used more than a few days without advice from a doctor. Any weight lost will be from water. You'll dehydrate yourself, and possibly cause heart or kidney problems.

Garcinia: An extensive study by JAMA concluded: Garcinia cambogia failed to produce significant weight loss and fat mass loss beyond that observed with placebo. Whenever I see this ingredient on a weight loss product, my "hooey antenna" pops up, lol.

About the company selling this product:

Paris Slimming Institute - From what I've found so far, their mailing address is actually a maildrop, and the company doesn't seem to exist.

There seem to be a LOT of people responding to the mailing, and are posting scam alerts on various forums. They are billed even for the free trial, are told they cannot cancel their orders, and there is no information provided for refunds or returns.

One person said the pills looked like saccharin tablets and they make her coffee sweet, and she's on her third bottle with no results at all. If they are that tiny, how much active ingredient could they contain? Another person said the label was so cheaply done that she was afraid to take the product.

Remember that these products are not regulated. They do not have to contain any amount of the ingredients listed on the label. Imported products frequently contain contaminants such as lead. Your personal safety is always at risk when you order blindly.

It's truly like taking candy from strangers.