Old 03-08-2005, 06:35 PM   #1  
2006 - Panda Remix

Unhappy Don't laugh!....am I allergic to exercise?

Since I've been seriously exercising (walking, cycling and swimming) , my face has become really sore, red and blotchy. It is a real problem - not only does it really sting, but it looks unsightly and is getting me down.

When I sweat, it really stings my face and it seems to be particularly bad after a swim. I use a gentle facial scrub straight after exercising - sometimes twice a day. I don't think it's the scrub - although I will stop using it just to make sure. I am just really worried that it is the chlorine in the pool that I am sensitive to - my face is particularly bad today after a swim (and maybe the sweat is just stinging because my skin is alreadt irritated).

I don't want to stop swimming - I love it!

I feel so miserable, because my clear skin was the one thing I had going for me - and now my face looks awful.

Any suggestions or experiences that might help me?

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 07:26 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Amanda I just happen to come up on your post and just thought I'd give it my 2 cents...

I realy do think that it's the facial scrub irritating your skin along with the chlorine ... IMO you should moisturise before and after swimming... I think the chlorine is stripping your skin of all essential oils then if you use a scrub afterwards this is stripping your skin yet again, double whammy to your already sensitive skin... Salt from sweat will irritate skin too.

Go see a good esthetician or cosmetician counter and she will be able to recommend something mosturizing and non-oily for your skin....

HTH ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 07:36 PM   #3  
Zen-meister

You shouldn't use a scrub everyday anyway. You should stick to a light cleanser like Cetaphil or Phisoderm Sensitive Skin for everyday use. Use the scrub 1x a week, tops.

Sounds like you're basically exfoliating too much w/ the scrub and the sweat/chlorine then irritates your already sensitive skin.

I'm sure I'm allergic to exercise and I got no excuse!!
ChinkyDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:04 PM   #4  
krazy binging insomiac

yeah my thought would be you're being too abrassive with your skin (scrubbing everyday)... i use noxzema and olay daily facials and they work great. and of course the chlorine. i would moisturize before and after swimming and probably walking (of course that depends on the temperature where you are).

that's my 2 cents
nefarious_wytch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:48 AM   #5  
Learning to love ME!

People can be allergic to exercise, but usually you'll feel itchy. Read this:

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1906.html

http://www.personalmd.com/news/a1997022403.shtml

Last edited by Gypsydancer; 03-09-2005 at 11:23 AM.
Gypsydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:09 PM   #6  

I would have to agree with everyone else. Your skincare routine may need a little fine-tuning to keep up with your new activity level.

Swimming is very drying to skin and hair. I have always worn a cap while swimming laps (old swim team habit from high school) and often wet my hair with non-chlorinated water and apply conditioner before putting my cap on, it's like a deep conditioning treatment while you swim. You should definitely shower after swimming to get rid of the chlorine, use a gentle shower gel or cream, and apply body lotion every time after you shower (even when you haven't been working out). Switching to a more gentle facial cleanser would help as well. Cetaphil is a great idea. If you want to keep your exfoliating scrub, I would limit the use to once a week. And just like with your body, moisturize every time you wash your face.
katia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:08 PM   #7  
2006 - Panda Remix

Thanks for your replies everyone, you have been very helpful!

The facial scrub (neutragena) says it is gentle enough to use everyday - but my face can be very sensitive at the best of times and what you say about it stripping away your natural oils make sense.

Silly question now.......after swimming or sweaty exercise what should I do? Should I wash my face with water first, then apply cleanser and moisturiser? I never usually use cleanser - just face wash!

I don't think it can be an actual allergy as it's just on my face and it's sore but not itchy.

Thanks for your help - I feel alot better now, I was really worried that I would have to give up swimming!

Love Amanda x
Old 03-09-2005, 07:16 PM   #8  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Hi amanda -

I have super sensitive and dry skin but I love to swim. I think the chlorine is drying you out. Add the scrub isn't helping either.

After a swim, I shower and rinse my face with water but I don't use soap at all. Then, I apply a heavy moisturizer. I had to play with moisturizer to find which ones didn't irritate my skin. I'm a huge fan of the clinque line and ended up using a night moisturizer because of my particularly dry skin.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:58 AM   #9  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I also have very sensitive and dry skin. I have eczema on my hands from having to wash my hands a million times at work and it will develop on my face if I am not super careful what cleansing/moisturizing products I use. I use Olay soap and moisturizing lotion and petroleum jelly under my eyes when they get dry. Generally though I don't wash my face with soap often, maybe like once a day or even not then. I don't wear make-up so I don't need to wash it off at the end of the day. After working out I just do the same as Goddess, just splash with water and pat dry. If the reddness on your face doesn't go away by itself I would recommend an over the counter hydrocortisone cream, it doesn't have the same level of steriods as a prescription cream and works really well or there is a product called Uremol that very good but it is a little more expensive and shouldn't be used more than 2 or 3 times a day. Either one should clear up your skin within 2-3 days.

Actually I have a very bad perception of the beauty industry. I honestly don't believe that we need all the toners, cleansers, moisturizers, scrubs that they would have us think. Our skin needs some of the oils it produces and we are continually washing them away with all these products. I have wonderful skin, practically never had any pimples and at 36 pretty much wrinkle free. Just my 2 cents.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:54 AM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I agree with Jen about not really needing all the beauty products. I almost never wash my face, just splash some water on it in the shower (which I have read you shouldn't even do, since water dries out your skin), then slap some lotion on it when I'm out of the shower. I have had very few pimples in my life, and have even had people comment on the clarity of my skin, especially since I am SOOO pale and white. However, I think once you add the chlorine into the mix, you've already thrown off the natural balance of your skin, so additional gentle cleansers and moisturizers are probably necessary. Even though I don't have very sensitive skin, I usually buy the products that are made for sensitive skin (when I do buy any) because I think everyone should be as gentle as possible with their skin, especially on the face. Of course, who am I to speak right now with my big red and peeling nose from being sick...Puffs Plus didn't save my nose this time!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:21 PM   #11  
2006 - Panda Remix

Yes, I have to agree with you all - I've always had lovely clear and young looking skin and hardly any spots and all I ever did was wash with water and moisturise. I never wear make up because people have always said that I actually look better without it.

It's only recently that I've started 'buying in' to all the beauty industries claims and started using alot more of their products - mainly because at nearly 32, I started thinking 'I need to take better care of my skin or I'll get really bad wrinkles'. And now here I am with my skin flaring up for the first time in my life!

I went swimming today and followed everyones advice by moisturising beforehand, then afterwards it was stinging a little but I just washed it with warm water and put some really gentle moisturiser on and it has calmed down enormously! The only thing different that I did on tuesday when it was sore and stinging for nearly 2 days after, was to wash with the scrub.

So hopefully my problem is solved and it really is a case of 'less is more' for my sensitive skin!

Thanks for your advice everyone - it's made a real difference to how I look and feel!

Love Amanda x
Old 03-11-2005, 05:12 PM   #12  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

well as a modern YOUNG single guy i have to take car of my appearance in the ever depressing quest to get laid pmsl. i've never use anything but hot or cold water. never soap moisturiser nothing at all and i barely have any spots. running round all afternoon in the freezing cold wet conditions and having my face trampled into the mud playing rugby is the closest i ever got to a regular skin care program lol
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote