View Single Post
Old 03-11-2005, 02:57 PM   #4
Mel

I have CFS and fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed 23 years ago, and you are right, there is no cure or "found therapy" for either syndrome. You're probably not going to like this answer, but what absolutely changed my life was getting my sleep patterns regulated with prescription meds from my doctor (I'm treated by a rheumatologist). Over the years, these meds have included anti-depressants, muscle relaxants, anti-spasmodics, and anti-seizure meds. With normalized sleep, I could function better. Four years ago, at about your current weight, I decided I just had to lose it. No excuses, no magic pills. No ephedra. I had more energy and less pain in the morning, so I got up early and did 45 minutes on a recumbent bike and lifted weights. I cut all "white stuff" and other high glycemic foods from my diet (initially I used the SugarBusters Diet), ate whole grains, loads of vegetables and lean proteins. If I was hungry, I flossed and brushed, and went to bed. No fast food. No cheating. It was the most important thing in my life. I do take a lot of vitamins including extra C, calcium, magnesium and zinc, co-enzyme 10, and glucosamine. I feel better when I take them.

The more weight came off, the more energy I had. My joints felt better. I slept better. I'm still on medication, but I have loads of energy. I still workout about an hour a day. I used to barely fit into a size 18, now size 4 jeans fit me. I'm 50 years old and have 2 kids.

If I can do it, so can you! You owe it to yourself, your child and your future marriage! You can feel better and you can do it without banned substances. Get the sugar and junk out of your diet, and at first just force yourself to exercise. After a while you won't want to go back.

Wishing you the best,
Mel

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

9 years at or under goal weight! Working Maintenance Everyday