Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 02:01 PM   #1  
We're TTC!!

S/C/G: 303/281/Goal#1:271

Height: 5'3"

Default ~~Chicks on Motorcycles~~

Hello everyone!

I had an idea that it would be fun to start a forum or club for those of us that enjoy riding motorcycles and are also working towards weight loss goals. Even if you ride behind someone, are learning to ride, experienced motorcyclists, or just plain enjoy motorcycles. I thought that we could discuss some of our favorite rides as well as work towards goals together.

A little about me... I am 28 and just learning to ride a motorcylce. I bought a 1985 Honda Rebel 250 in October and have only practiced a few times on it. I had never been on one until this past summer. My then-fiance took me on a test drive on a Harley he was interested in. I loved it! In June we got married and by the end of June he found a '03 Harley Softtail to buy. We do dinner runs with friends of ours that ride (the wife rides a bike, too). We also have "rallies" in a small town an hour from our home where bikers from all over the area ride to and shop at booths and view the bikes. I started thinking that it would be fun to try to ride my own. I havent taken the MSF class yet, but I am hoping to this summer or fall.

As far as weight loss...I have a lot to lose and I dont want to take the MSF until I feel more comfortable with my weight. I have been up and down the scale for the past 2 years. I was once 315, then got down to 190 and started gaining once again when I met my hubby. I am working to get it off and have tried many things. For me, I am finding that exercise and counting calories/fat work good for me.

I hope to get some responses from others that enjoy riding and to have a place to chat and support each other. Even though the title says "Chicks"... anyone is welcome to post.

Have a great day!
Old 03-03-2005, 03:39 PM   #2  

Hi Rebel,

My name is Star, I'm old and learned how to ride in 1970 on a Truimph. Hubby and I had a Rebel in the 80's and about 3 years ago I bought my own Harley Dyno Low Rider. I took the MSC then and think it is a great class for eveyone to take (men and women). although there were like 90 percent chicks in my class.

Dear husband has the Harley Ultra Classic. Summer before last we went to the Harley 100 anniversary in Milwaukee, it was awesome. We are members of the Hog Chapter, local and national. We also do dinner rides, rides with friends and charity rides. We have property up north and like to ride up there too, matter of fact our bikes are up there right now.

About weight loss, my high was at one time 216, now I'm in the mid 160's and my goal is 150. Got married in 2003 at the Palace during a Pistons BB Game, in our biker clothes. BTW, my leather pants are too big for me now.....Most recently I was doing LA Weight Loss, but have just started doing my own thing; portion control, healthy choices and exercise.

Waiting for nice weather to hit Michigan......hurry, hurry, hurry......
Old 03-03-2005, 04:43 PM   #3  
We're TTC!!

Hi Star!

It's great to see you here! I am really excited about taking the motorcycle class. I was really hoping to take it this spring, but to be quite honest I was wanting to be smaller sized and more familiar with a motorcycle. I am going to take the class for sure, at some point. As I get to practicing more I may ask you some of the things that they test over so that I can have a little more knowledge before the class starts.

I think that would be so much fun to take a longer road trip on the bike and especially going to the 100th anniversary must have been incredible. We have only gone about 2-3 hours from home, but we're hoping to do some mroe traveling this summer. We had thought about joining HOG, but wasnt sure if you had to have a brand new Harley in order to do so. The place where Dh works at had formed a motorcycle club this past fall, but no one has done meetings during the winter, so I am hoping that we will continue to be involved in that. We did Toys for Tots this year (my 1st time) and that was wonderful. I cant wait to do some poker runs and other charities as well.

That must have been so cool to get married at the Pistons game and in leathers! That's really unique. I am glad that they are too big for you now...just means you get to do some shopping this year!! Yeah! LOL. Congratulations on the weight loss! Are you happy with your bike? Want to do any work on it? I want a new paint job on my little Rebel. Maybe purple? Hmm...
Old 03-03-2005, 04:52 PM   #4  

If you pm me with you e-mail address I will send you a pic of my bike. Don't know how to post it on here. My bike is like a candy apple red color and all fixed up with alot of extras,it was my husbands bike before we got married. I bought that he and got a bigger one. The Dyna Low Rider is a good size for a girl, better than a Sportster. You would probably feel better on a bigger bike too.
We do toys for tots too. And the polar bear runs, etc. About joining the Hog Chapter, they are different everywhere, some places you have to have a Harley (since HOG is Harley Owners Group) and in other clubs you don't, Just check with your local chapter. It was funny, a girl rode with our Hog group and she had some other bike not a Harley, well you know what>? She won a brand new Harley in a drawing.....lucky girl!
The classes are really easy and your on real small bikes, that are more like Spree's, you almost can't mess up. I'm sure you will ace it.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:14 AM   #5  
We're TTC!!

Dh took the Harley out for a ride today... I was in the middle of exercising, so I didn't go with him. It was an absolutely gorgeous day here. In the 60's and I heard tomorrow is supposed to be as warm if not warmer. I think on Saturday I will wash off the Rebel and take her for a spin around the block (weather permitting).

Food wise I did really good and I got my 20 min jog in. We decided to eat at Subway for supper and then went to play pool. Since it was so nice out I just wanted to get out of the house!

I am so excited that tomorrow is Friday and to have the weekend to relax, have fun, and grill out! I found a yummy honey lime grilled chicken recipe that I may have to try out.

Star...that girl in your HOG club sure was lucky to win the bike! That would be so great. Your bike sounds beautiful and a I cant wait to see the pic. Honestly, I was thinking that when I move up in bikes to go for a Sportster, but now I am really re-thinking that after hearing about the low rider. Tell me about your Rebel...did it look like a mini Harley? Mine really does. It's black, I have saddlebags on it, and it a 2 seater. I keep teasing Dh into riding on the back of it with me, but he won't go for that. LOL! This thread is really pumping me up to get myself in the shape I want to be in to ride!
Old 03-05-2005, 07:38 PM   #6  
Archery Diva

Hi everyone,

My name is Donna. I am 35, married, and have 2 children. I have been riding for about 5 years now. I am currently riding a 2000 Honda Magna, 750cc. It is a cruiser, and I like to call it my HarleyWannaBe. My first bike was a 1993 Yamaho Virago that my dad gave me. I actually still have that bike, but the engine is bad. My hubby likes to ride as well, but I am the only one with a running bike right now, even though he owns like 5!!! As I mentioned in another thread, I belong to a Christian Motorcycle group called Hogs In Ministry (HIM).

As far as my weight loss goals are concerned, I am currently at 250lbs (there, I said it). My highest weight was 262lbs. My goal is 180. I have yo-yoed too much over the last few years. I have lost 10lbs since January. I have been doing E-diets and Discovery Health Channel National Body Challenge. The challenge ends next Saturday, and I am not sure if I am going to continue on E-diets or join Weight Watchers. I must continue to do something. Truth be told, this is probably my last attempt at a diet. If this doesn't work, I am going to consult a Bariatric surgeon.

So anyway, it was nice to meet you all. I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Donna

Last edited by Dondita; 03-05-2005 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:54 PM   #7  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hi rebelgirl and Donna (we were posting at the same time!) and Star! (Star - "I'm old" - you're hotter than you know, girl! )

I'm 44, and have been riding for three seasons. I just got the strong urge to ride my own three years ago. My husband totally supported me. I learned basics with him, and had about 1000 miles under my belt before I took the MSF course, which was a wonderful experience. Incidentally in our class, we had about equal chicks n dudes

We had about $5000 to play with, and decided to just outright buy my bike, an '02 Honda Shadow 600. It is a great chick bike low seat height, low center of gravity, great to learn on. I'd like something with more oomph now, but it's still fine (budget-wise, we can't do a new bike for me this year) . but my mechanic told me that with new pipes and Stage 1 kit, he could help me get some more hp.

My motorcycle helped (helps) me to lose weight! We know we want to look good on these machines...because EVERYONE looks at a chick on a bike. And to be encased in black leather, black heeled boots, black gauntlet gloves, sunglasses, and vivid lipstick...dayum And having muscular strength helps with your stamina, when you ride long.

I've done two road trips - to St. Louis in 2003 (about 3000 miles, one week) and last year, to Myrtle Beach for Bike Week (also about 3000, one week). I LOVE road trips, but no camping for us - it's a cheap hotel with hot water and clean sheets after 400 mile days!

And last year, our trip to Laconia was like 36 hours I couldn't take more than one day off work, so we left here Friday about 5:00 pm, arrived by Lake Winnepesaukee about 8:00 pm, enjoyed the day there Sat. and Sat. evening, then rode back Sunday morning, for me to arrive at work early Sunday afternoon...whew!

Winter is ROUGH for us...we don't have snowmachines, so it's a LONG time from late November to late March, for no riding.

I ride as much as possible, when the time comes. I'm lucky that I'm able to use the bike for work commuting, and it's a beautiful 56 miles round trip, on roads that people come to Vermont to vacation on And I use it for errands, limited grocery shopping,visiting, whatever. Last year I put on 19,173 miles!!!! hoo-eee!!

I'm glad that each year more women are getting into riding. It is AWESOME as all of us know

I also have a hard time posting pics here, with the size limitations..and I have a hard time remembering how to resize, so also, if anyone wants to see pics, I have tons...but I'd have to email them.

I've seen Star's bike (from pic) - suh-weet!

looking forward to talking bikes!

Last edited by VermontMom; 03-05-2005 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:43 PM   #8  
Archery Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontMom
Winter is ROUGH for us...we don't have snowmachines, so it's a LONG time from late November to late March, for no riding.

I soooo feel you there. I am counting the days until spring comes.

Last year I got started early, I was so excited to be riding and then in May I broke my leg. I was sooo bummed to spend most of the riding season on crutches. My cast came off in July, but I wasn't able to start riding again until some time in August. What a loooonnnnggggg season it was last year, I felt like it just got started when it ended.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:00 AM   #9  
We're TTC!!

Good morning ladies!

I am so awful about posting on weekends. Seems that they go by so fast and there's so much to do.

Donna- It's great to meet you! Your bike sounds awesome! What color is it? Eww...how rotten to spend most of the riding season in a cast. How miserable! I hear lots of great things about eDiets and Weight Watchers. It sounds like you are going down on the scale, so that's wonderful! Congratulations!

Holly-- I am so glad you came to post here! After hearing about your trips to Laconia and Myrtle Beach...I'm getting pumped to ride some more. A "trip" for me right now would be to ride around the block! That's how inexperienced I am. Sad to say. I know the basics, how to get it going, but so much more to learn. I am really hoping to be comfortable enough by the end of the summer (after passing the MSF) to ride to work. You are so right about motorcycles helping to lose weight. There's a certain look (and comfort level) that we like to have when on a bike.

My weekend went by so fast and I was going to get my bike out and practice, but yesterday we ended going to the mother-in-laws house...don't get me started on that one! LOL. This was the 1st weekend of Cassoday, it's a nearby town where bikers get together the 1st Sunday of the month. We wanted to go, but the Harley has a bad battery, plus it was super windy and a little cool outside. Some friends of ours went, though, with their kids on the back of the bikes.

Eating wise I was proud of myself. I stuck to my plan on Fridayand had LeanCuisine pizza and Saturday (Wendy's grilled chicken sandwich), but I did use my cheat day yesterday. Other than that I did really good and weekends are incredibly hard for me to be good.

I hope that you ladies are all doing good on your eating plans and with your Monday! Have a great one!
Old 03-07-2005, 11:07 AM   #10  
We're TTC!!

Holly- I'll send you a pm so that you can email me a pic of your bike.

Yeah, Star's bike is GORGEOUS!!
Old 03-07-2005, 11:32 AM   #11  

Hey Chicks!

Well our weather (Michigan) was up to 50 yesterday. I actually saw two bikes when I was going to the mall. I just laugh, becuz we have dirty snow banks that are over 5 - 6 feet on the side of the parking lots.....lol

I'm such a fair weather rider it's not funny. I have been in one too many raining ice trips up to Port Austin in APRIL.....we were too far to turn around. Once we made it home (by the grace of God), it took us all night under an electric blanket to thaw our bones. so I don't ride when it's cold, or when it might rain. When I ride in the summer sunscreen gets reapplied every so often (becuz I've had brown spots removed off my face already). However, let me add that when we went to Milwaukee for the Harley 100th Anniversary, I was the only one in our group that didn't look like a racoon....lol
I'm a girly-girl Lady of Harley.......
Donita - I want to plan a ride out to Cooks Dairy, isn't that in your neck of the woods? Also last year we went on a dinner run to the is it the Bullfrog Resturant on the lake? Maybe the Toad or Horny Toad? I know you ride with the Christian group, but I just can't remember the right name of the place....sorry.....no offense.
About Riding and where we go? Well Harley people meet at resturants, ride to resturants and end the ride at resturants. Now, why are Harley people alittle round and cuddly????? lol the summer before I took my test I gained weight. Prior to that riding summer I worked out after work, well when we would ride after work the workout time got bumped, it wasn't until the next season I figured out I'd really have to get up at 5 in the morning to fit the exrecise back in. PLUS some extra cardio to battle the resturant stops..lol

Hi Rebel....and Holly..
Hugs.....

Last edited by Starlynn; 03-07-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:34 PM   #12  
We're TTC!!

Now, why are Harley people alittle round and cuddly?????
That is too funny and too true Star! Yeah, most of our rides end up as a dinner run and (somebody , wonder who?!) can't control herself to eating a salad. Well, I am hoping that will change this summer!

I saw so many bikes out this weekend and I heard that this coming weekend is supposed to be near 70's, so I will have to get the Rebel out. I have been riding around the yard, which I know you aren't supposed to do. Hopefully, in the next month we'll get it tagged and my hubby will ride it (much to his displeasure) to the high school parking lot so that I can practice. He's afraid of looking like an elephant on a moped. He's so goofy!
Old 03-07-2005, 01:45 PM   #13  

Andrea - I think the school yard is the common place to practice, that's where I learned way back in the early 70's........
Stop talking about the nice weather - makes me want to risk the cold weather......
With my luck, I'd bundle up, go out and ride and it would start to do the freezing rain thing again.......BUT I am pretty anxious to ride again.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:54 AM   #14  
We're TTC!!

Good morning chicks!

I hope everyone's Monday went ok. I am so exhausted today. I did my little jog after work yesterday, made supper, cleaned the house, washed dishes while hubby napped on the couch. Then I took a couple Tylenol PM's to help me relax and...wow! I feel trippy today! I don't think that I can handle the full dosage of that stuff. My husband said that a guy from work is selling his saddlebags for only $75, because they wont work on his new bike, so I think that we're going to buy them. They would really come in handy. We have a little black leather backpack that we put on the Harley, but it doesnt hold a whole lot and it would be great to have somewhere to put jackets and rain gear.

How is everyone doing with their eating plan? I was thinking, as dorky as it sounds, we should sometimes have a challenge towards weight loss goals.

Ok, my question for the day (just out of curiousity)... are you currently riding your "dream" bike? If not what, what is your dream bike...what extras do you want...color, etc?

Sorry Star for bragging about our weather...well now I have nothing to brag about...it got colder yesterday!!! That's what I get...
Have a great day!

Last edited by rebelridergirl; 03-08-2005 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:09 AM   #15  

Hi Rebel,

About the bags, I say good buy. I couldn't live without mine, I put everything in there. I also have a small leather bag on the bottom of the handle bars, in there I keep my insurance cert/registration, makeup and brush.....chick stuff...lol

The challenge is a great idea, it will keep us honest. I'm currently on one, from another thread. I want to lose 8 pounds by April, I know that is alot but I have put on like 5 pounds since the holidays and I really need to get rid of it....

About my dream bike, I'm very happy with my Dyna. If I rode more I would consider selling it and getting a Fatboy, but since I don't ride enuf - that's just not lodgical right now.......Hey, it's 18 degrees here right now. Hoping it will be riding weather in April sometime........

Question??? What do you chicks do with your hair for helmet hair? In Michigan we have the helmet law. I have shoulder length hair so I wear the bandanna or just pull my hair up. Then when we get to where we are going I leave the bandanna on, which I don't really care for that look. Helmet hair SUC_S........
Closed Thread