Old 03-03-2005, 10:48 AM   #1  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Default Do you ever feel this way?

I have been doing great with my eating. And up until this week I've been doing great on exercise. I had to slack off this week because of being sick. Anyhow I keep getting this feeling of doom like I'm not doing good and I won't lose. It's weird how the mind works. My calories can be pretty filling at times and it trigers this feeling. Makes me feel like I over ate just because I feel full.

I know to just over look it and go on but I was just curious if anyone else has the same feelings.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:50 AM   #2  

Amen Howie! You hit the nail on the head on how I feel. I skipped going to the gym Monday and Tuesday just because I felt run down. And for some reason yesterday I felt like I've gained 15 pounds, even though I got on the scale and was still maintaining. It was like once I felt that way I almost was gonna say it's not worth it and not go to the gym yesterday either.
Inca's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

So that's what it is. I'm going through the same thing as well. Mine is because TOM is well on its way and I feel like no matter how hard I try I'm still going to see a gain this week. So I feel like no matter how hard I try I'm still going to fail even though I know I'll see a big loss next week. So I'm just trying to do my exercise and eat right and get through this week.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:41 AM   #4  

So far, I’m doing good, I went off-track only twice, within past 4 months, I’m sticking to my diet plan and exercise on a daily basis. I’ve lost 42 pounds so far and it seems that the addition of Push-ups / sit-ups is helping me getting off the plateau I was stuck on for the past 3 weeks.

However.

After yesterday’s training at the pool, I had supper at Subway’s. I ordered a 12 inches chicken breast with light mayo, oven baked chips and diet soda. A few months ago I would have been proud I did not go to the “Poutine” joint just across the street.

Yesterday, after I finished supper I felt somewhat guilty as I my stomach was full even if I had an healthy supper. I think we should not be too hard on ourselves. As we loose important amount of weight, we should realize that our stomach is shrinking.
frenchiepolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:59 AM   #5  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbygirl43
Mine is because TOM is well on its way and I feel like no matter how hard I try I'm still going to see a gain this week. So I feel like no matter how hard I try I'm still going to fail even though I know I'll see a big loss next week. So I'm just trying to do my exercise and eat right and get through this week.

I have mine this week and in a way I feel like I let it give me an excuse not to try harder. My calories almost every day were 100 to 200 over (gulp!) what I wanted them to be. I kept up with all the exercise at least. I don't think I'll see a big gain, but man, it's disappointing. Yeah, I get that feeling of doom....

I usually have a feeling by about Tuesday as to whether the week will be good weight loss wise.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:12 PM   #6  

I'm having that feeling, too, like I'm standing on the precipice. I've been working out every day, walking my 3 and more miles, staying low carb (but I need to be a little more low fat about that), but I'm slipping a bit -- waking up later than I should. I'm afraid if I let things slide a little, it becomes the slippery slope and I'm back where I was. In a way, it's useful -- the fear helps keep me honest until hopefully this becomes my lifestyle. But it's also a quick way to kill the "mentality" as a friend of mine calls it -- so much about changing your life is about keeping the motivation and the energy up. I wonder if part of it is the time of year -- these last straggling days of winter and wondering when spring will really be here.
Keillynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 01:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

It's definitely a pretty common feeling, I worry about it all the time. I have never lost any more than 10 pounds in my life, so what makes me think I can lose the 97 I want/need to now? We all have a huge battle ahead of us, and it's going to take more than one day, or one week to lose this weight, so my thought is that you just have to push ahead. I don't know how, but you have to not give in to the cravings, and not give up on exercise. You all have lost so much weight already, so just remember how much you've already accomplished! I'm proud of each and every one of you for being able to stick with it and lose the amount of weight you have already.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 02:56 PM   #8  
Born Loser

This feeling does not make me want to give up. I just find it strange to have such feelings when I'm doing so well. If anything it makes me want to do more to lose. I know my plan is working and I don't have to tweak it. It's just this feeling of not doing enough. I guess it's because it really has become a lot easier to stay on plan. The longer I do this the more it becomes second nature.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:40 PM   #9  

Cool

That's one of the challenges that those of us with food issues face. People who have never been overweight automatically stop eating when they're full and think no more about it. We have missed those subtle cues and have kept on eating past the satiation point. One of the things that keeps me motivated when I am on program is that slight feeling of hunger - it's a sort of high and I feel virtuous and "know" the fat is burning off. However, we cannot maintain that feeling constantly and have to learn to trust our bodies to tell us that they have had enough. This is something we have all got to learn in order to maintain our goal weight. It's like the Greek Golden Mean.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:20 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Oops, my bad, I didn't quite understand your post.
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:40 PM   #11  

Oh I get that feeling all the time and more so when I start to loose the weight. I do not seem to feel that guilty that much when I am not on a plan, but when I am on a plan, every thing I do puts guilt and fear in me. I was SO sure on my first weigh in that I had gained a LOT of wieght, but I ended up loosing a lot. But no matter how much I had lost, I still had that feeling that I was doing something wrong.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.
bella23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:35 AM   #12  
Born Loser

That's allright Aimee. I have felt the way you took it. Just not at this time. Weight loss sure can play mind tricks on you.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:23 AM   #13  
Jennifer

Ain't that the truth, Howie. Sometimes it occurs to me that what you actually DO to lose weight is quite simple (eat less, exercise more?), but the head stuff is what makes it so darned difficult! And for me, IMPATIENCE!!!!!!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:00 AM   #14  

I had that feeling of doom while losing too, Howie. More frequently when I was right in the middle, having come so far, but still so far to go. It seemed like I would never get to the end! I, of course, had resolved to get there no matter how long it took, but I was just so darn impatient! I also still have that feeling of being "bad" or like I over ate when I'm full. Even though I'm full and satisfied on good, healthy food, it seems I shouldn't get to enjoy it as much as I do, and feel so content with what I ate. I have to remind myself that my choices were excellent and that I'm just lucky that I love this new way of eating so much, and that there's nothing wrong with thoroughly enjoying my meals.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:16 PM   #15  
2006 - Panda Remix

I understand completely what you are saying Howie - I'm in a similar situation.

I've been doing really well and had built up my exercise to walking and cyling or swimming 6 days per week. Then came the snow, which meant I couldn't get out for a couple of days, then came a bug, which meant I couldn't exercise at all, then I strained my calf because I was so keen to get back into exercising that I overdid it - now I am sick again. This has been on/off for about 8 days now and I feel so guilty! I feel like I've blown everything I've worked for the last 8 weeks, just because I'm not exercising as much! I feel that because I have missed a week of exercise, it has damaged my weight loss momentum and I'll never get it back. I've stuck to my calories and water, but feel really fat and lethargic.

It's hard for me as I am on a strict time limit to lose weight for my wedding - every week counts, but what can I do? I suppose it's about being forced to let go of the control that we had - the routines that we had established and were working well for us.

All we can do is get well again and build up that routine again.

Chin up!

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote