Old 02-23-2005, 02:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 273.5/see ticker/125-150???

Height: 5'2"

Question Where do you find your motivation?

I was sitting here, reading some of the posts, and wondering -- where do you all find your motivation? I see so many of you who have done so wonderfully in your weight loss, and I don't seem to be able to lose five pounds.

I simply lack the motivation to do something about it. I know I need to. I want to. But I simply don't do it. I don't drink my water like I should. Heck, I don't drink water, period. I don't exercise like I should. Again, I don't exercise, period. And eating... Ugh. I know what I should do. I even find myself eating, thinking *why am I putting this in my mouth?* But it goes in my mouth anyway.

My eating habits are terrible! Absolutely horrible. I tracked my food on Fitday for a week, earlier this month. Oh my. Looking back at them, I am seriously worried. I ate anywhere from 2500 to 5000 calories PER DAY. AAAAHHHHH! That is seriously scary. No wonder I weigh 257 pounds at 5'2"!!

What was your personal kick-in-the-butt to get started? What made you get up off the couch or out of the computer chair and lose that weight? Just typing this is making me feel better, like I am actually admitting I have a problem with food -- and I most definitely do, if I'm eating 5000 calories a day!

Sorry for the long ramble here. I would really love to hear everyone's motivations. What got you going?
puff0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:23 PM   #2  

Maybe a complete health condition review by a doctor will give you the « kick in the butt » you need. This is where, among other things I found motivation. Last physical exam, when I was approx 315-320 showed: High Cholesterol, Hypertension and High Triglecyrides. Furthermore, there is an history of heart disease in my family, even if I’my relatives are not obese… If I have continued like this, I was heading straight for the grave at age 34. I’m too young for this.

Second source of motivation comes from the fact that I know myself better than in the past. The best example is “cheat days”…. Many times in the past have I tried to lose weight allowing myself one cheat day a week, after a while, this cheat day occurred twice, than 3 times, then 4 times a week….I just cannot have such free days, or maybe only in very rare special occasions: ex: Christmas, Birthday…

Finally, people on the 3FC forum are very supportive. Not only that they are very nice and friendly people, but they share the same goals….

Hope this helps and keep us posted!!
frenchiepolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:33 PM   #3  

My motivation is very similar to frenchie's...my health is my motivation. I have been obese for a long time and for most of my life. I can see the toll that it is taking on my body and I am so much better than the way I was treating myself. It has been a uphill battle but when I get down and think about giving up and gorging on candy, I think about what it will be like to run. I think about what it would feel like to not get out of breath going up 1 flight of stairs. I think about being healthy and not causing my own heart attack before the age of 30 and it helps steer me in the right direction.
theotherjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

My motivation comes and goes in spurts. Some weeks (like the past few) it seems like I'm on fire while others I have to wonder what I've gotten myself into and wouldn't it just be easier to be fat. I had a stressful weekend and my motivation got knocked down quite a bit. I wrote about it in my blog http://barbygirl43.blogspot.com/2005...atest-mom.html
I'm really, really wanting to start tanning this year and so when I get to 250 I will begin. That's been my motivation for this week. So I think to keep me focused I'm going to start setting up small rewards for every 5 pounds (next I'll probably buy me a cute and sexy shirt off of ebay. Other ideas is an evening out with Jeff going to the movies, new earrings, stuff like that. We're starting to get our finances in order so I can actually afford to treat myself every now and then.)
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:44 PM   #5  

Yup, health should be a big motivator. However, I have a bit of a stumbling block there. Middle of last year, I went to the doctor, to try to get some help jump-starting weight loss. This is the dr that told me I should be at the low end of the height/weight chart recommendations, and that I should weigh absolutely no more than 110 pounds -- I'm 5'2". BWAAAAAHAHHAHAHAHA. Never. That will not happen. I haven't weighed that since grade school. Literally.

She had me get some bloodwork before she would recommend anything for me. When the lab results came back, and I went in to see her, she was so very rude. She was acting all shocked, checking over the paperwork to make sure she had the right chart. She told me that *somehow* I was a very healthy person. My bad cholesteral was very low, and my good cholesteral was just right. My blood pressure was perfect. All the other stuff she was checking for (I don't remember all the things she had done, and I don't have the papers here at work) looked exceptionally good. The bloodwork results put me in the <less than 5%> risk category for heart disease. So I'm healthy, but I'm fat. And she refused to do anything to help me lose weight. Just told me to go home, eat less and exercise more. Well, duh! I knew that!! Of course, she didn't give me any hints on HOW to do those things. Needless to say, I haven't been back to her. But I haven't made any appointments for any other dr's either...

I am hoping that posting here (rather than just lurking for a while) will help me out. I'm really hoping that having a swimming pool this year will help me out with the exercise portion. We've always had something like a pool, but it's usually been too small to swim in (like 3 feet deep and 15 feet round). This year, we are putting up a 4' pool that is 21' round (double the amount of water!!), and my daughter (six years old next month) is a fish. I am hoping that having the pool and her wanting to swim every night will get me outside and moving more often than I do now. I'm just not sure what to do until warm weather, as far as exercise goes.

We have a treadmill in the bedroom, but I always seem to find one excuse or another NOT to use it -- I'm too tired, I've got too much to do, etc., etc. I dunno... I guess I'm just trying to get myself out of a rut of doing nothing. I do love hearing all of the wonderfull sucesses on this board, and hope to be one of them before too long
Old 02-23-2005, 05:01 PM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I had a huge problem with motivation also (still do sometimes). It's like I think to myself, well, if I've already blown my diet for today by having too many calories (or too much sugar, too many carbs, whatever your vice might be), I might as well go out with a bang and eat whatever I want--I'll start dieting again tomorrow. Then tomorrow came, and it was the same story...vicious little cycle When I last had tests done at a doctor, my cholesterol was quite normal and my blood pressure was actually on the lower end of the normal range, so I had no immediately impending health issues to kick my butt into gear. Then my friends got a pool, and as much as I love swimming, I found it very difficult to wear a bathing suit in front of them, even though they were friends of mine. I was embarassed (especially since the girls I was with each weighed less than 130 and were slightly taller than me).

I can't honestly tell you what got me going again this year. I met my boyfriend last spring, so it's not like he had ever seen me thin--I knew he loved me regardless of my weight. The things that seemed to motivate most people just weren't motivators for me. All I can say is that you've got to figure out what it is that will make you happier to be lighter. I want to lose weight now to look good in my sister's wedding next March, to look good in my wedding dress whenever I get married, and to be healthier before I start a family and have no time for myself! I would also LOVE to be able to buy clothes at any store instead of having such a limited selection of plus-size departments (I find most stores around me that carry plus sizes carry mostly business or "old lady" styles--I want to dress like others my age!). I also want to be able to ride a roller coaster again without worrying that I won't fit in the restraint! Think about why you want to lose weight. Yes, health is always a good reason, but there's got to be more to it than that since it's obviously not motivating enough for you at this point. You've made a step in the right direction just by posting here, so just keep moving in that direction, and you'll do great
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:34 AM   #7  

Woo-hoo! Perhaps posting here is what I need to get myself going. I was actually very good yesterday/last night!

I actually drank some water. True, not a lot, but it was a couple of glasses. Way more than I usually drink. And I exercised!!! I got on the treadmill and did a quarter-mile. I know that's not much, but it is more than I normally do. I need to work up to a longer time, but even at that quarter-mile, my legs were hurting. And that was after doing laundry.

And the best part -- I didn't keep stuffing my face all night!! And that is just what I had been doing -- stuffing my face. I wasn't eating, because I wasn't hungry and didn't really pay attention to what I was doing. I was just putting things in my mouth. Last night, I had supper, and then didn't eat anything else all night! I actually thought about it once, but then told myself that I wasn't hungry and I didn't need to eat. Yippee!!

Thanks for your comments and support. It really does mean a lot to me.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:55 AM   #8  

Way to go!!! Every little bit will help. Just add a little bit more when you can and you will get to where you want to be in no time.

I know how you feel about the water drinking. I was an absolute Dr. Pepper addict and never drank water. I don't even know how much I could drink per day but I am sure it was close to a liter or more, but now I drink about 2 liters of water per day and not much else. I sometimes take a sip from my DH's drink (dr. pepper or sweet tea) and I don't even want it any more. Its just way too sweet.
theotherjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:05 AM   #9  

I've found that with soda. I used to drink regular Pepsi -- all day, every day. I hated diet sodas. They leave a nasty taste in my mouth. But I have found two diet sodas that I actually like. Diet Cherry Coke and Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper (that's a mouthful just to say!). So even though it's not water, at least I'm not drinking a ton of calories. I can't stand to drink regular Pepsi now. It tastes way too syrupy-sweet.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:07 AM   #10  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Congrats on staying on program

I never had high blood pressure, or diabetes, or really any type of obvious health problem (knock on wood) due to my weight other than minor problems with my feet. I did have a scare a year or so ago with an unrelated health problem and after going through tests at over 300 lbs, I realized I was truly risking my life. I knew it would be harder to get any kind of treatment, or even surgery, had the problem ended up being something serious (which it luckily didn't).

Another motivation is that I feel the same way jillybean does, I want to be able to do more physically and to be able to shop in regular stores for clothing.

I find that when motivation is lacking, habit can be a huge help. Once I developed patterns for eating and exercise, it's more like a routine that I just do. The less I have a mental discussion about exercising or avoiding certain foods (chocolate!), the better off I am. Coming here and going to fitday every day helps me stay focused too.

I agree with Frenchie that the days off can be tricky. I take off one day, which is really more like one meal and maybe a snack, and I think I would be better off not doing it. I haven't worked up to giving it up entirely yet though.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:53 AM   #11  
maintainer wannabe

I was getting out of the shower and I was huffing and puffing like I ran up 5 flights of stairs. I thought I hate this. I can't stand it anymore. Last year I was walking and feeling great (but gaining weight) and then I got pg. I was too tired to walk and losing weight from morning sickness. Then I had that shower. It just clicked. I have to change. I can't live like this anymore. Normally I gain 35 lbs while pg so I decided to start now. I'm not trying to lose but I am. I'm drinking 4 L of water, eating healthy, tracking what I eat, and exercising. I already feel so much better. I'm not really sure why I'm still motivated. Other times after the novelty wore off I'd go back to my old habits. I will be 40 next year but I may as well be 80 for the shape I'm in. Being thin sometime while 40 is my goal.

Good luck finding your motivation!

Catherine EDD#11 June 24th
hw/sw(pg)/cw/gw
272/258/240/155
mabear's homepage
mabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:29 PM   #12  
Jennifer

I've been thinking about this a lot since you posted, and I think I finally figured out what my motivation is. I could put it like this: my motivation comes primarily from success, which comes from habit. What differentiates my current weight loss attempt from my past ones is that I focused first on developing new habits, when I wasn't even sure I would lose any weight in the process. My first habit was going to the gym every day. When I started to see my first success, THEN I started to get motivated to change other habits, like my diet, which was much like what you described (a pint of Ben & Jerry's several times a week, for instance).

I think dragonwoman really said it -- habit, not motivation, may be where you need to start. Motivation will probably come as you start to see some results. I see now that my past weight loss attempts were less attempts and more wishful thinking. Start small if you need to and change just one habit, but make it stick, work on it until it becomes routine. For me, it was definitely exercise (which made me more conscious of my body all day long, so I started to eat better).

Just know that you can do it, but I wouldn't wait for some magical inspiration to come. And if you do somehow find the magical inspiration, won't you PLEASE let me know where you find it?
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:37 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

WTG on getting that one day under your belt. Pretty soon you will have more and more!!!

I think Marge hit the nail on the head for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwoman64
I find that when motivation is lacking, habit can be a huge help. Once I developed patterns for eating and exercise, it's more like a routine that I just do. The less I have a mental discussion about exercising or avoiding certain foods (chocolate!), the better off I am. Coming here and going to fitday every day helps me stay focused too.

I started this journey almost a year ago. I was really focused and excited for about two weeks. Then my loss/gain pattern hit and it wasn't so exciting anymore but I knew it was something I had to do. Then summer turned to fall which turned to winter. I had been keeping up my eating and half-hearted attempts at exercise and pretty much maintained between 259-265. After the first of the year, I knew it was time to step it up and do something. What have I been doing? We started a "change your habits" thread in January and so I just found a few of my bad habits (not all were weightloss related) and started working on them. They say it takes 3 weeks to change/make a habit and that's what I've been doing. So now it is more of a routine for me to make sure I'm eating within my daily calorie levels and getting in my exercise. If I stray from my routine, I feel out of sorts and feel the need to get right back on track.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:53 PM   #14  
Learning to love ME!

When I first started this lifestyle change, funniegrrl gave me some great advice: she said that you can't count on motivation because motivation is a feeling that comes and goes. It's not a constant that you can rely on. So I agree with the previous posters who find habit is the key to success. However, I think something has to click to make you want to evaluate and change your destructive habits. For me, it was primarily having my son. He was beginning to want to eat what I was eating, and I did not want to pass on my bad eating habits to another generation. I cut and pasted this from another thread on the reasons why I want to lose weight:
1. To live a long life so I'll be here for my son.
2. To be energetic enough to play with my son.
3. To set a good example for my son.
4. So my son won't be embarassed about me. I don't want to be "the fat mom."
5. To feel sexy (although I already do )
6. So it's easier to buy clothes.
7.To be healthy.

Maybe it would be helpful to make a simliar list. Or maybe you'll find you're not ready to make a major overhaul. If that's the case, then teapot has a great idea about changing habits one at a time.

Whatever your next step is, we're here for you! Good luck!
Gypsydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:33 PM   #15  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I have been lacking Major in the motivation department myself.

Habits....hmmmmm....Thanks for the idea!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote