General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2001, 11:14 PM   #1  

Default Merida #6---Is Anyone Else Out There

We were going on the 2nd page so I decided to start another thread. Everytime I do this I think of D'ont Worry Be Happy who originally started this tread. I was so glad to find it. I do hope that she is well.

WELCOME VioletRose. Glad you are joining us. Also check out the live chat---you can meet some really nice people (although I tend to get a bit silly). Sounds like you have done a super job with TOPS. Congratulations. I also don't like to mention to some people that I am on Merida. Think a lot of people view it as a crutch and don't approve. Sort of like having an epideral instead of natual childbirth. I have mentioned this before, one woman in my group thought that I just didn't get hungry therefore it was very easy for me to take off weight. Don't I wish.

Frosty, sorry you can't get the Merida discount in Canada. I agree however that it is worth it without the discount. I was watching the Red Sox play the Blue Jays on Sunday and noticed that the Jay's players had on vibrant colored uniforms with Canada on the back. That's how I found out about Canada Day. Your hike sounds fantastic. Wish I could hike---my fused ankle stops me.

Littlebear do make sure you eat enough. Not just for your health but if you starve your body it will protect itself by slowing down your metabolism and you won't lose any weight. In many diet plans if a person is not losing weight but doing everything right, they will get their points/calories increased. So take care.

Committ2it, I hope you have good luck returning to the 10mg. I was surprised to hear about your heart racing on the 15mg. That sort of sounds like what the "speed" type of pills would do. Yikes, I will be hesitant to go on the 15 mg. Let us know how you are doing on the 10mg.

Take care and we can do this together
Old 07-05-2001, 10:49 PM   #2  
Super Duper Member

Talking

Hi Everyone and thanks for the warm welcome. What time and day is the chat? I would love to join in sometime!

Your analogy between the meridia and the natural childbirth vs. the epidural is so on the money! Why do people assume that if you take a pill, all your problems are solved? I guess they feel threatened by the possibility that you might succeed.

I saw my doctor today for my first month check. Everything looked good, although I haven't lost any HUGE amount of weight. According to the scale at TOPS, I had lost 3 lbs after 3 weeks, but at the doctor's office, it was only 1 lb after almost a month...EEK! So of course, she's giving me the 15 mg prescription now. After reading some of your side effects, I'm a little hesitant, but I'll give it a try. I really need to get back to exercising, I've gotten so lax as far as that goes. I think it will make a big difference once I start doing it regularly again.

Hopefully July will be a better month!
Old 07-06-2001, 02:26 PM   #3  
One Martini at a Time...

Smile The moment of truth...

Hi everyone,

i am new to the forum, but I've been lurking for a while...
I just started Meridia, and have been on it for almost 3 weeks after hitting a wall with WW which I started in January.

I'm going for my first post Meridia weigh in - hopefully it will be good! I have DEFINATELY noticed a significant decrease in my appetite which has made is SO much easier to stay on program.

Has anyone else noticed this -- my first week on Meridia I was "buzzed" and my heartbeat was a bit faster. I didn't take it for about 4 days after the first week (TOM). Now, i feel like I have evened out and I don't have the same side effects (except for dry mouth and increased bathroom breaks).
I do however, feel like I am bloated more. Has anyone else experienced this? No serious gastrointestinal issues, just poofy tummy!

Thanks
Old 07-06-2001, 10:37 PM   #4  

Another new poster--how exciting. Welcome WineBratSF. That is an unusual moniker. I guess I was lucky when I started Merida. I had no unusual side effects and I HATE to take new drugs. I had the prescription over a month before I filled it. Glad things have settled down for you. My tummy is always poofy so I can't tell--very poofy as a matter of fact,lol. My only side effect has been dry mouth.

Violet Rose, the live chat is anytime. You just click on "Visit the 3FC Diet Support Chat at the top of this board. I only go on at night but there are people on at all different times. Let us know how you fare on the 15mg. Given that you have been losing weight for a long period of time, I would assume that your weight loss would slow down. Do you exercise. I find that exercise has made the difference for me. Also, I have been doing mostly aerobic exercises and now will be learning muscle building. Everyone says that you need to vary the type of exercise you do.

I am getting weighted on Tuesday night. I only weight myself once every two weeks so we shall see. I had a bit of a slip (more like a full fledged slide) on July 4th but got right back on my food program.

Take care all.
Old 07-07-2001, 05:41 PM   #5  
Super Duper Member

Talking

Thanks for the info on the chat. I tried it out. Cute program! I'm used to the more basic stuff like IRC so I love the java chats with all the cute graphics!

I'm starting my 15 mg prescription on Thursday so I'll be sure to check back in and let everyone know how I do on it. I'm a little nervous, but I never had any side effects with the 10 mg, so I hope the 15 will be the same for me.

I'm starting to wonder if my appetite is all in my head! I thought if I wasn't feeling hungry all the time, I would do better and I have done a "little" better, but I know I can do more. I did it before and I will do it again! Just can't give up!

Old 07-08-2001, 03:56 PM   #6  

Hi everyone! I haven't been to the board in a while and was pleased to see some more new people. Nik you've done great keeping up with everyone. I've been on vacation, but happlily I haven't strayed from my eating program (1500 calories). I'm still taking the 10 mg Meridia (since April 23) and doing great. The only problem I seem to have is sleep. If I wake up in the middle of the night and I've had around 4 to 5 hours of sleep, then I just can't get back to sleep. My husband finally reminded me that I could use the time by getting up and studying (I will be taking an Old Testament Bible class in August) so now I have a plan...if I don't fall back to sleep within 30 minutes I'm going to get up and read.

I also don't understand the people that object to the use of Meridia. I think they just don't understand what it is and does. Personally it just keeps me from getting stressed out about what I'm going to eat and when. It doesn't seem to curb my appetite but I can tell that it lets me quit once I feel satisfied. As for gaining it all back once I quit taking the pill - I just don't intend to let that happen. Once I lose my 150 lb. (I am 1/5 there) then I plan to continue to eat healthily and continue exercising. I also will have tighter fitting clothes and won't try to fool myself about my weight any more. The main reason a diet hasn't worked before is because I had so much weight to lose - it just seemed impossible. Now I keep a journal and can see the difference in my life already. (stairs are easier and so is walking distances - also my knee hardly hurts anymore) The journal reminds me of how it was before I started losing weight.

I had to have a "spacer" put on my wedding ring. It was a whole size too big and I was afraid that I was going to lose it, but I didn't want it cut back yet because I have more weight to lose! Also I've measured and have lost 20 total inches so far (from 7 areas). I'm pretty happy about all that I've been able to accomplish so far with Meridia. It's not magic, but it does seem to help some people!
Old 07-09-2001, 10:53 PM   #7  

Talking

Hi everyone!

I had a great weekend! We had a bit of a mini family reunion (my older brothers and their families). We enjoyed some quality time together and bonded.
I didn't exercise or really watch what I was eating so, the scale did show a 2 pound gain - but it was worth it.
Now I am on a week of holidays, so I plan to get back on track and lose the weight!
Old 07-10-2001, 12:41 PM   #8  
One Martini at a Time...

Thumbs up HURUMPH!

OK so I went to my weigh in on Friday.

ARGH! The SAME half a pound i've been battling, was BACK on that darn scale.

I'm HOPING that it's the lack of exerice that's killing me - I hurt my back and haven't been able to do my cardio as much as I was doing. BUT really, I am SO frustrated! I have been eating SO much less since starting Meridia - I just have a very small appetite, so I can make better (SMALLER) choices and eat small meals more frequently.

I think the "poofy tummy" has settled down too. Must have been my body getting used to the drug.

OK, I'm NOT going to give up, I'm NOT going to give up!

Thanks for listening to my rant...I REALLY want to get rid of this extra tire around my middle!
Old 07-10-2001, 02:40 PM   #9  

Hello everyone,
Yes, I'm a newbie. What a wonderful site! And boy do I need it right now. I've been batteling my weight for some time now. I started Merida and I've lost 8 pounds in about 5 weeks. Not great, but not bad either. I am finally able to stop eating when I'm satisfied. That's something new to me.
But I've got a rough time ahead of me, and don't know how I'll be able to handle it. Yesterday I was let go, or laid off from my job. The initial shock hasn't worn off yet. Maybe if I can keep my chin up, I can finally start to take walks and get a little excersize. On the outside I'm laughing and happy about it. On the inside I'm crying and feel humiliated. I was the only one they cut. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. But it's so hard to stay up at a time like this.
Old 07-10-2001, 10:42 PM   #10  

debdub welcome to the board and welcome to this thread. I think 8 lbs in 5 weeks is fantastic. Remember for many of us we have been gaining weight steadily over the months and years so to even maintain our weight would be a major hurdle. To lose weight is an accomplishment. We all want to lose weight fast but unfortunately for most of us it does not happen that way.

I am sorry to hear you were laid off. This is happening to so many people around the country. I know it does not make it easier for you but there are many others in your situation. If you can, try to take some time off in between jobs. It is summer and if you have unemployment it can be a good time to regroup and think about what you would like to do in your next job. And don't be ashamed (I know easier said than done).

WineBratSF, think is might be the lack of exercise that is keeping you fighting the battle with that same 1/2 lb. Take care of your back and hopefully you will get by your plateau.

Frosty, so glad you had a wonderful weekend. Sometimes we just have to have that bit of extra food. That two pounds is probably already gone as I write this.

Amy, sounds like you are doing very well--20" WOW. I remember you were having trouble sleeping. Think your husband has a wonderful idea. You might as well read if you are up. I am not sure how the Merida helps me. I still have some days when I am hungry hungry but other days when I could care less. Think the Merida keeps me "in control"

Got weighted at my group tonight. We can choose whether or not to get weighted. I get on the scale every two weeks. Have lost 58/59 (it is not a digital scale) since the end of January. I still have quite a bit to go, so I just take it one day at a time.

Take care all. debdub, you will be in my thoughts.
Old 07-11-2001, 11:03 AM   #11  
Elle

Hi Everyone!

Nikolas - Wow! Your weight loss keeps me inspired. Now on my second month of Meridia I have now lost 12lbs. It hasn't been as easy lately as it was in the first month so hearing about your success helps keep me focused.

I have been sick this week so it has been easy to not eat. I am starting walking and hoping this will help also.

Take care everyone!

Elle
Old 07-13-2001, 06:00 PM   #12  
One Martini at a Time...

Thumbs down a hA!

Success at last!

Into my 4th week of Meridia, and FINALLY my plateau is broken...
Hopefully, it's just my body realizing that it WANTED to let go of those darn pounds! (4.2 this week)

Happy Friday the 13th ALL!'
Old 07-16-2001, 01:02 AM   #13  

It would seem like everyone is doing well - congrats winebrat and Nikolas on your weight loss!

I hope you are feeling better commit2it...

My week of holidays are over - boy did they ever fly by! So back to the regular routine tommorow. I did manage to lose the 2 pounds I regained so I am at Ground Zero - I've lost 12 pounds to date and am at the lowest weight I have been at in over 1 year. From here on, all loses I make will be new ground.

I get married on Oct. 20th and would love to lose at least another 10 pounds before then. I know I can achieve at least that!! Hopefully closer to 25 pounds!

Have a great week everyone!
Old 07-16-2001, 03:51 PM   #14  

I am fairly new and not on Merida. Just stopped by to say hi to Nikolas who turned me onto this site.

Don't know about everyone else but Nik is doing so well on Merida. She has lost more than anyone in our whole group (we don't see weights but all of us can tell)

Much luck to all of you who are trying. It is a hard road. I have now lost 38 lbs but it is very slow sometimes. I want to lose a total of 60 and probably should lose a few more.

See you at group Tuesday night, Nik.

J.
Old 07-17-2001, 02:28 PM   #15  

Here's an update (I've been away a lot and haven't been in chat in weeks!). I weighed in at my doctor's yesterday and after three months I've lost 38 pounds!!! I still have a long way to go because I'm now at 270, but I can wear a smaller size clothes and even they are getting too big for me. I just wish there was a way to shrink my skin - I think I've stretched it beyond it's rebounding point. But if I need surgery after all of this then it will be worth it.
Closed Thread