Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-18-2005, 10:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 329/180/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Why am I soooo tired?

Hello everyone,
I am 3 weeks and a few days post-op from an open RNY. I am finding that I am more and more tired every day. I'm getting at the very least 60 grams of protein, More than 64 oz. of the proper liquids, and I am taking my vitamins like I was told. I am also walking for 1 to 3 hours a day, not all at once. For the past week and a half, I have been sleeping for 12 to 16 hours a day. I've lost 32 lbs and have reached an expected plateau. I haven't changed anything or cut anything out. Has anyone else experienced this?

Exhausted,
Angie
original_serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 07:12 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

oh dear exhausted one. you are not even a month postop from a MAJOR operation. there are REASONS most people are off for about 6 weeks for this. it takes LOTS of energy to heal, more than we can ever imagine. combine that with the very low calorie intake, and your 3 hours [???!!!!!!] of exercise, and it's no wonder you can barely pick your head up off the pillow.

my advice: cut back on the exercise. there will be PLENTY of time - and need - to kick it up later. and play with your protein intake. and i DON'T mean drop below the 6- grams. you might need a bit more some days than on others. and make sure you rest when you need to. that 'i'm gonna keel over any second' feeling means you've overdone it big time. learn how your body feels, and stop BEFORE you get to that point. i'm thinking an hour of walking - perhaps divided - might be reasonable, but you'll have to play with this to figure out what works for you

and this is key - and maybe a little TMI for most people. watch the color of your urine. if it's dark yellow, or if, when you get up in the morning, it's tending towards amber, DRINK MORE. for some reason, many of us simply need more water, and dehydration can be a BIG factor in fatigue.

now, all this assumes that your iron levels and B12 levels haven't dropped to low-normal or worse levels. that often happens after the surgery. so i'm thinking that you're due for a doc visit within the next week or two... try the 'home remedies' i mentioned above, and if you don't see any improvement by the time you see your doc next, be sure to discuss it...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 11:43 AM   #3  
Hang In There

As always of MS JIFF is right here with the right answers!!! Just to add my 2cents, anytime you are put to sleep with anestethics for any length of time, especially as deep a sleep and for as long a period of time as is required for this surgery, it just take it's tole on you!!! You may be feeling okay from a surgical standpoint, but it takes your body a lot longer that people think to "wake up" to normal again after being "put under"

ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:11 AM   #4  

Well, ladies, as always, lots of good info. But, I fear my problem goes deeper. My RDW has always been low for the past few years, possibly indicating B12 deficiency, also known as pernicious anemia. But no one has ever bothered to test me for it specifically. Just the typical iron tests. Which are usually a little low. So, I have low RDW and occasionally low hematocrit. And, this was all pre-GBS. I think I need to call my surgeon's office and get a better study. My lips are blue again, and it ain't my asthma this time, lol.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:23 AM   #5  

Serendipity,

You answered your own question. Please, please do call your surgeon, ASAP. Make sure you explain the pre-existing condition and the color change. Doesn't sound good at all.

I agree with Jiff, about the exercise, and the major surgery connection. I think the combination of major surgery and lowered caloric intake is something people don't give enough credit. I heal faster than anyone on the planet (true) but WLS kicked my butt in ways I could never have imagined.

Add your preexisting condition to that and wowsa, you are really asking a lot of your body.

Definitely call your physician. Definitely get labs checked. Hopefully the can up your iron and get you feeling better soon. And, definitely please, cut back on the exercise for now. Eat well, drink enough fluids and rest.

Take care,

Dawna
Dawnajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:37 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

AND TAKE YOUR VITAMINS!!!!!! you might not be absorbing them as you should. and you might have to go on injections, but that's something your doc can decide based on the EXTENSIVE TESTING he'd better do [if he doesn't want an annoyed flock of chickies in his face!!!!].

in the meantime, until you get some answers, take them!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:44 AM   #7  

Still taking my Buggs Bunny vitamins twice a day. But my heartburn is getting worse. Still taking the Aciphex, but sometimes it's so bad it makes me nauseous. My next appointment isn't until the 2nd, but I think I will give them a call tomorrow. The blueness goes away as long as I stay off my feet. Not cool. Living off of Aciphex, G.I. cocktail, and fat free milk. Food seems to make it worse.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:55 AM   #8  

I just wanna add good luck w/things. I haven't had WLS but my close friend did last year and another is getting ready to...she went through the same things and is on the up side now.

Hugs
ToniMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:51 PM   #9  

Aww, thanks Toni. I started feeling better about a week and some change ago, finally.Angie
Old 03-08-2005, 10:50 PM   #10  

It's been a while since you started this tread. I hope you are feeling much better now
My4Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:19 PM   #11  

Oh, feeling significantly better, but still a bit icky. But thanks anyway.