Old 02-17-2005, 05:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 325 / see ticker / 150

Height: 5'4"

Default Sorbet instead of ice cream?

For those of you whom love your ice cream, do you choose to have Sorbet instead? I was looking at the containers of ice cream in our local grocery store(they are also available online at http://www.chapmans.ca/english/index.html ) and I found that the Sorbet has less calories than both the regular ice cream, the light ice cream and even the frozen yogurt. The sorbet has absolutely no fat in it. The carbs are a bit high due to the sugar content but not much higher or even the same as the regular, light ice cream or the frozen yogurt.

I find that the sorbet seems to calm my cravings for sugar so one bowl of sorbet works for me, and my daughter loves it too, my son didn't try any yet but he loves ice cream so I am sure he wouldn't mind it either. I also found that the sorbet has almost the same smooth texture as ice cream does too.
KnCmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 02:41 AM   #2  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I will buy chocolate sorbet (Haagen Daas) on occasion because it does a great job of eliminating a chocolate craving in one spoonful and it's so hard, it's work to get out more than that.

However, I will probably pass up sorbet for frozen yogurt because of the calcium. And well.... If I wanted fruit... I'd eat a piece.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 02:45 AM   #3  

I love sorbet too, it seems hard to buy here, but it is quite easy to make, and you don't need an ice cream churn (but if you have one it's even easier) I am an ice cream fiend, so I like having an alternative for those times only ice cream will do! And it's a good way of preserving a glut of berries, apples or citrus fruit if you get a bargain someplace!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 11:54 AM   #4  
Crazy Canuck

I love Chapmans! Between the sorbet, low-fat frozen yogurt and their "no-sugar added" products (ice cream sandwich..mmmmm) its been a lifesaver for me because the kids are ice cream fiends and I can't have it in the house - I just can't. They particularly enjoy the rainbow sorbet and I can satisfy several of my sweet urges with 1/2 cup. Heck, they don't even know I'm making a healthier choice for them (unlike my attempts at making creative broccoli dishes).
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 02:03 PM   #5  
Abby's Mommy

Whats the difference between sorbet and sherbet? I don't think I've ever had sorbet, but Baskin Robbins Raspberry sherbet is my FAVOURITE!
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 12:14 AM   #6  

There really isn't supposed to be a difference between sorbet and sherbet - most of the time they are two names for the same thing - a non-dairy dessert. But in my experience, something called sherbet often has milk in it. Perhaps not as much as ice cream, but it isn't totally non-dairy. Being lactose intolerant, I have to pay attention to that
DebbieJRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 02:58 PM   #7  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Sherbert usually has dairy in it and very little fruit. Sorbert has a lot of fruit in it and has no dairy.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 10:09 PM   #8  
Live for the Moment!

I love Sorbet - And i'm totally with everyone else, its a workout just getting it out of the tub!

I'm also a big fan of the President's Choice Gelatos - the chocolate one is sooooo rich.. Its truly a lifesaver when you need a cocoa fix.

And of course, I'm a huge advocate for Skinny Cow products... hehe! We're still limited as to what's available in Canada, but if you're looking for something to "substitute" for ice cream - this is it!
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 11:43 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 325 / see ticker / 150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br00klyn
...And of course, I'm a huge advocate for Skinny Cow products... hehe! We're still limited as to what's available in Canada, but if you're looking for something to "substitute" for ice cream - this is it!
Where do you find the Skinny Cow products? Are they in a grocery store? I am in Ontario if that helps any.
KnCmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 05:35 PM   #10  
Live for the Moment!

You should be able to find them in your grocery store. I find them at Safeway, Co-Op and Superstore's (owned by Loblaw's) Hope you can find them! Let me know what you think - honestly they're to die for! Oh, and Costco sells "Slim Choice" Ice Cream Sandwiches and they're the same as Skinny Cow - I've been buying those lately as they're cheaper... $10 for a box of 20!
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote