Old 02-19-2005, 11:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Default Here I go again!

I'm quitting sugar.... again! It's a combination of weight loss goals, and I hate the whole sugar/carb crash I get when I eat pasta or things with sugar. I often get told that it's bad to quit sugar completely, and that everything in moderation is alright, I think that might be true for some.. but I can't do it. I don't need justification for having all the things that make me feel crummy. so! In my quest to avoid sugar I've been making a lot of homemade meals, things I didn't even know I could make! (I had spaghetti squash with a homemade sauce and diced chicken for dinner today). Do you find that you cook more when you are dieting or trying to eat better? Whats your fav homemade meal? Also I was reading all the lables of various foods, and it's nearly impossible to buy anything without sugar, artificial sweetners or wheat (an allergy for me). No wonder people are so sick these days, I don't know how we are all going to get off all these addictive foods..

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 09:48 AM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I definitely find that I cook more at home when dieting. It's entirely too difficult (not to mention expensive!) to try to eat out or buy prepared foods that are actually healthy. Do you have to cut out sugars completely in order to feel better? I find that if I eat pasta and such as a large part of a meal, I feel the same kind of crash you were talking about. However, I often just bake some boneless skinless chicken breast with a little barbecue sauce and non-fat shredded cheddar cheese on top paired with a salad. I find that the little amount of sugar in the sauce (and salad, depending on the dressing) definitely does not affect me like something big such as pasta or potatoes would. I can't even imagine being allergic to wheat...that must make buying healthy foods so much more difficult. I hope you find what works for you, and good luck!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:14 PM   #3  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

We cook our own meals most of the time too. It just is too hard for me to go into a restaurant and order the type of meal I'd need to eat to lose weight.

I think roased chicken with mashed yams and steamed broccoli is one of my favorite meals, though that's not something you have to really cook much (we buy the chicken roasted).

I noticed reading labels that lots of tomato products have added corn syrup. I've used organic diced tomatoes for sauces (to me they taste better too, a little more expensive as well). I saute some garlic cloves then put in the diced tomatoes then let them cook down. They can be a little sour, so I do add a tsp of sugar, and I know you're trying to avoid sugar. You could still just leave out the sugar. If you don't want to eat pasta with the sauce, you could use it over baked eggplant, with a little parmesan, or zucchini.

You might try roasting veggies in the oven coated with a little olive oil (can use spray) and salt and pepper. Nice side dish to just about anything. Fish and chicken, steak.

Hope that helps.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 02:46 PM   #4  

I cook a lot anyways, but I definitely cook all the time when I am trying to eat healthily. I hate "funny fats" which appear in many processed foods, the trans fatty acids. I also love lots of vegetables, and get frustrated with meals here that are all meat and starch and no veggies.

I've developed little rituals, like Sunday night is soup night, and I make enough to take us into Monday, as I normally work overtime on Mondays. On Saturday we have fancy fish, either Tuna, Swordfish or Salmon (this week was tray baked salmon with roasted red skin potatoes and "stirfried" vegetables (stir fried in a small amount of vegetable stock). So far my favourite thing is tofu, cooked in a wee bit of sesame oil and tamari (light Japanese soy) and served with roasted baby aubergine and a black-eyed bean and tomato casserole.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 03:18 PM   #5  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Aimee - You and i have talked often about how addictive sugar is. For me, it's the most difficult thing to control. And i know you love those softdrinks!

I love to cook - dieting or not. It's just finding the time between school and work to do it. I prepared stuff ahead of time and use my crock pot often.

My favorite dishes are Indian Sag dishes. Lots of spinach, some great new spices, a little olive oil. Some of the recipes call for sugar (a couple of tablespoons), so I'll cut it in half and judge the dish. Does it need a little more? Could i get away with less? I left the sugar completely out of my sag paneer recipe and the Cute Boyfriend didn't even notice. There are so many interesting flavors, what's to miss?

I know many of us are so busy that restaurants and drive-thrus seem so much easier. However, if I keep my fridge stocked with grillable foods and a bag of veggies to steam - I have a quick dinner almost any night.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 09:54 PM   #6  
Live for the Moment!

I find that I'm cooking a lot lately too - I've been trying out all sorts of new things... including stuffed zucchini, cabbage casserole, etc. There are so many healthy choices, it just takes a little bit of planning before your trip to the grocery store.

Here's a link to a "What's for dinner" thread we had going before and there were lots of great ides:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43306
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 03:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I love to cook and I'm finding though new ways to make some old favorites as well as finding new recipes. When it's cold I like just about any type of soup, stew or chili I can get my hands on. As it starts getting warmer, I will find more things I can either a) cook in the microwave or b) prepare early morning so I don't heat up the house with the stove.

I don't think I could ever fully give up sugar. I think it's great you are. Remember we are here for you.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 04:11 PM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I too am trying to get off the sugar. But I also am allowing some in moderation. Ideally anything that has sugar in the 1st three ingredients would be out. So when I choose my oatmeal, the cinnamon roll one that I adore got replaced with the original. But, I also really like zone perfect bars. I split them in half (thanks Bev!) and have one as my morning snack and my afternoon snack. They are convenient and the balance of protein and carbs curve my cravings until the next meal. But sugar is the 3rd ingredient...but they work for me. Also, I can have a skinny cow and they do not have that sugar effect on me...I don't get cravings. So yes to the no sugar, but less rigid for me.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 06:59 PM   #9  

I have to be completely strict with myself, because as soon as I let up on myself, I find I'm back on pop (which is also my addiction, Jessica). I'm also avoiding any form of wheat, which definitely makes things harder, but I'm tired of feeling ill from it. I'm doing good so far, today is only day 3 though, I am cooking lots! And snacking on things like pickles, celery sticks (no carrots, too much sugar makes me crave), I'm becoming more creative which is never a bad thing. I am loosely following the South Beach diet, only I don't have any of the books, and anything I know has been from people who have done it. After 3-4 weeks I think I'll start to add in some brown rice, and some naturally sweetened things, and fruit. But not slurpee's My bf is also getting on the weight loss thing, so it'll be easier since he won't be trying to eat pizza 24/7 (why do guys do that?!).

Sandi - I'm a firm believer of quitting sugar as much as we can, congrats on quitting it too I wish I had your ability to not crave sugar.. even carrots can send me over.. it sucks Keep up the good work!!

-Aimee
Old 02-21-2005, 07:04 PM   #10  

Ohh! Another thing I'm doing is not telling ANYONE but my bf, and close friend that I'm even on a diet. I can't believe what a huge difference that makes, no one is bothering me to have candy (they ALWAYS do when I tell them I'm not having sugar). Yesterday when a girl offered me skittles, I told her my tummy was upset. Sneaky!

-Aimee
Old 02-21-2005, 09:57 PM   #11  
Learning to love ME!

Hi, Aimee! I am such a sugar addict, too! I gave up sugar on Jan.1st and it's one of the best things I've done for myself. After about 3 weeks, the physical cravings disappear, and then it becomes much easier (although I still have situational cravings--like when someone brings donuts to work!). There's a No Refined Sugar support thread here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52615

Good luck! I know it's hard!
Gypsydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 10:12 PM   #12  
missaprylj

Kudos to all of you!