Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 10:02 AM   #1  
Jen

Thumbs down Ate ZZZEROS cookies - now I don't feel so well

I saw these cookies at my local Zellers (I'm in Canada) and noticed they are 'sugar-free' and have no trans fats. They have 100 calories per 2 cookie serving and believe me, they are delicious. BUT....since I started eating them my belly has been rumbling and turning and I've felt queezy. I read the package a little closer this morning and it turns out they can act like a laxative in some people. WELL....didn't I throw them out in a hurry. No wonder I have been feeling so awful.

Just a warning...they're not worth the enjoyment of eating them since they are so rotton to you later.

Jen
Old 02-18-2005, 10:26 AM   #2  

That is the case with Olestra products - I've found that I can have them with no real digestive repercussions - here's the key - provided I only eat one serving of them a day. I've read a lot of things where people who were eating like half the bag or the whole bag of those chips had serious issues - well, lets be honest. You arent supposed to be eating that much of anything

anyways, your body may not react well to them, but I dont know how many you ate, either. You may want to limit yourself to one serving every other day or some such and see if you have the same reaction.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Olestra products haven't had that effect on me either (knock on wood) but I think reduced fat Oreos are 3 for 150 cals so that would be about the same and I'm pretty sure they don't use olean. just a thought!
Old 02-18-2005, 11:02 AM   #4  
We're TTC!!

S/C/G: 303/281/Goal#1:271

Height: 5'3"

I think that some people are super sensitive to that stuff. My husband can eat lots (which he isnt supposed to!) of sugar free mini candy bars and is fine. I had 2 little bars as a treat one day and I was SO sick because of the sugar alcohols! My stomach gets funny with chocolates anyhow...I think mostly because I am lactose intolerant. I decided that if I really must have the chocolate to just allow some extra calories for a couple pieces of Dove dark chocolates...yummy! I may have to try the chips sometime, in a reasonable amount of course.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/172/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaglefanatic
I saw these cookies at my local Zellers (I'm in Canada) and noticed they are 'sugar-free' and have no trans fats. They have 100 calories per 2 cookie serving and believe me, they are delicious. BUT....since I started eating them my belly has been rumbling and turning and I've felt queezy. I read the package a little closer this morning and it turns out they can act like a laxative in some people. WELL....didn't I throw them out in a hurry. No wonder I have been feeling so awful.

Just a warning...they're not worth the enjoyment of eating them since they are so rotton to you later.

Jen
I'm assuming since you say they're "sugar free," that they have sugar alcohols.

Sugar alcohols can cause problems in a lot of people, not everyone, though. Your body doesn't digest them as quickly as other sugars, and through osmosis, pulls water into your GI tract to even out the levels of sugars. That extra water causes the "laxative" effect.

Our bodies DO end up digesting most sugar alcohols, unlike some sources say.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:50 PM   #6  
Jen

Default hmmm..you're right

yes, they do have sugar alcohols...makes sense to me now...thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever42
I'm assuming since you say they're "sugar free," that they have sugar alcohols.

Sugar alcohols can cause problems in a lot of people, not everyone, though. Your body doesn't digest them as quickly as other sugars, and through osmosis, pulls water into your GI tract to even out the levels of sugars. That extra water causes the "laxative" effect.

Our bodies DO end up digesting most sugar alcohols, unlike some sources say.
Closed Thread