Old 02-16-2005, 03:39 PM   #1  
Crazy Canuck

Thumbs down Hollywood's Featherweights

Typical tinsel town

http://et.tv.yahoo.com/celebrities/2...kinnyusweekly/

Several things about this "buy this week's magazine" ad really bother me....

Mary-Kate Olsen: I'd like to see the medical journal stating that 90lbs. is a "healthy size" for a 5'1" female!

Kelly Ripa: How on earth can she claim to be "deceptively HEAVY" at 108lb?

Jane Fonda: I feel for her; 35 years of bulimia must have been gruesome and I understand her statement about mistaking physical hunger for spiritual hunger, but it might have been nice if all those tapes of hers put aside a few minutes to deal with such issues instead of focusing on making us feel like lazy jerks if we didn't adhere to her rigid exercise routines - talk about wasting a perfect opportunity to really help people who may be going through the same thing! Instead, she used her celebrity value to distribute tapes no different from the hundreds already available on the market.

Not that I plan on buying the magazine, but I bet Lara Flynn Boyle's also in there flaunting her skeletal self

Some may say its sour grapes or jealousy on my part (actually, its not, I find the skin and bones "look" most unattractive and unhealthy looking) it just bothers me no end how Hollywood tries to dictate what is desirable (by the way, I thought Renee looked lovely as the "fat" Bridget Jones - after she lost the weight she looked like a Q-tip) and how so many young girls (in fact, women of all ages) strive for that very same look. Its sad.
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:06 PM   #2  

Opinion from a man:

"Toothpicks" i only like them to hold club sandwiches together.

You gave maybe the best example i can see of a total turn-off. I've seen pictures of L-F Boyle in Bikini and she is totally unattractive to me ...first because she looks and probably is sick and second, i would be affraid to break her back while hugging her!!! I'm a big bear remember??
frenchiepolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:52 PM   #3  
On my way......

I know that T.V. and the camera are supposed to add ten pounds. And if that's true I'm very frightened. They look sick. I'm by no means jealous, I don't see how they could be healthy. It's just sad to see what society is pushing so many woman to believe is healthy.
way2fat4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:57 PM   #4  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Ok, minority here. I like the very thin look and long for it.

No, not the skin and bones look, but very thin.

I think I'd feel the same way if I were thin myself.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

I think the wafey look is overrated. Ask most men and they would prefer some curves.. not a washboard. I think those girls look so "sunken" in the face and as if they are on drugs. I like healthy bmi thin. I bet any of those hollywood-ers are under the normal BMI for their weight class. I support the fact that obesity is a huge problem but if we don't watch it, the eating disorders on the other end of the specturm could soon be what were facing. What about the normal people???
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:56 PM   #6  
missaprylj

I just think it's ONLY in Hollywood that you see such things. People like Ashley Olsen, LFB, and Kelly would feel ridiculously out of place in a lot of places and frankly, I'm tired of women and girls thinking that they are the norm.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:38 PM   #7  
Crazy Canuck

I remember watching the movie "Chicago" and thinking Catherine Zeta Jones looked fabulous in her skimpy outfit dancing her heart out, while Renee looked like a starving child dancing beside her. Yet, I read all sorts of snarky comments about Zeta Jones' weight. Same thing with Kate Winslett in Titanic - I thought she looked lovely, but she said she was forced by the industry to lose weight in order to get parts. Its crazy - neither of them were by any means overweight! I know I'd love to have the figure of either of them.

I'm not doing the "rah rah" for the fat girl here - I, too, think a lean look is more attractive and know absolutely that its healthier both physically and emotionally for the person, I'm just saying that in my book there's a vast difference between fit and lean and the social model being shown in the entertainment industry.

Last edited by Jillegal; 02-16-2005 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

I agree!!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:31 PM   #9  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillegal
I remember watching the movie "Chicago" and thinking Catherine Zeta Jones looked fabulous in her skimpy outfit dancing her heart out, while Renee looked like a starving child dancing beside her. Yet, I read all sorts of snarky comments about Zeta Jones' weight. Same thing with Kate Winslett in Titanic - I thought she looked lovely, but she said she was forced by the industry to lose weight in order to get parts. Its crazy - neither of them were by any means overweight! I know I'd love to have the figure of either of them.
MY OWN MOTHER made a comment about how "fat" CZJ looked after we saw the movie. I commented to her that she must think I'm a small whale then. Talk about insensitive.

I think Lara Flynn Boyle is gross, I would never want to be that thin. I would still like a little chunk in my trunk. *shakes booty* I think DB would break up with me if I lost too much weight.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:36 PM   #10  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Curves all the way. I could not imagine being with one of those girls. Looks painfull to even hug them.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:56 AM   #11  
Jen

Well if you remember a few years back Jennifer Aniston and Courtney Cox were getting the same flak because they were too skinny and now that they are a bit heavier they don't get the same comments plus they look a million times better. I despise that waif look, it cannot be healthy.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:15 AM   #12  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I remember when Men in Black 2 came out and there was stuff everywhere about how great Lara Flynn Boyle looked--I thought she was creepy! I would very much prefer the look of Angelina Jolie, Michelle Rodriguez, and the few others who show muscles rather than protruding bones.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:22 AM   #13  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Jillegal, I loved your post in winterblues thread, I was feeling down yesterday myself and it perked me up.

Yeah, Hollywood is bizarre about body image, an industry focused on looks and body image. At least now you'll see heavier younger women on tv, like Less Than Perfect, and the Gilmore Girls has several larger actresses. Speaking of Chicago (a movie I didn't see), at the Oscars I thought Queen Latifah looked gorgeous and sang beautifully, I thought she outshined CZJ and just got pushed out of the limelight.

Does anyone remember Kirsten from Party of Five (Charlie's girlfriend)? She got sooo skinny towards the end of the show, I suppose in an effort to get her career going. I hated seeing that, because I knew she must be suffering.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, my SIL is naturally very thin, people on the street make comments to her and she gets upset about it.

I've never wanted to be rail thin, I like curves, to see them and to have them. I don't seriously believe I'd ever be rail thin either There was a time when I was younger that I liked guys who were really thin. Now a lot more goes into what I like in a guy, ha.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:44 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

What is sad is that most of them think they are fat. I got an e-mail about a month ago of some extremely skinny women--we're talking bones protruding. I could only open that they were computer enhanced because those pics made LFB look overweight.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:51 AM   #15  
Crazy Canuck

Glad I helped perk you up a bit, Marge.

I've never seen "Less than Perfect" and don't know the concept of the show, but I have seen the very slightly overweight young female star (cute redhead, right?) I can only hope the show's title has nothing to do with her weight!!