Old 02-15-2005, 11:49 AM   #1  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Smile Pet Peeves

I happen to have many pet peeves about weight loss. The one that really stands out for me right now is people who try to sympathize with you to make you feel better but actually make you feel worse! Example: I have a friend from college who is maybe 10 pounds overweight, if that. Anytime the subject of exercise or dieting comes up, she talks about how she has to lose so much weight and how hard it is and blah blah blah. I realize that whether you're trying to lose 5 pounds or 500 pounds, it is difficult to lose weight. I also realize that she is not doing this to patronize me, but rather to make me feel like she is right there suffering with me so I don't feel alone. However, it actually just makes me WISH I only had 10 pounds to lose!

Share some of your weight loss pet peeves! I have about a million, and I don't want to feel like the only crazy one!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 12:43 PM   #2  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
Share some of your weight loss pet peeves! I have about a million, and I don't want to feel like the only crazy one!

I hear you on that one. I know it must be tough to face even a 10 lb loss, but I can't help feeling like having 100 plus to lose is a different animal.

I have a relative who keeps giving us candy and cookies when he knows I'm trying to lose weight. It really annoys me, and I don't want it to be a big issue so a couple of times I've just thrown it away. Hello, it is possible to give someone a non-food item gift.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 12:47 PM   #3  
Eating for two!

Haha, I hear that! My mom made an effort one Christmas--she bought me sugar-free candy. It was pretty gross, though. At least she tried
Old 02-15-2005, 01:24 PM   #4  
Crazy Canuck

I've been mentally counting up all my weight-loss pet peeves and lost count after 20, but the one that's bothering me the most right now is the "Oh c'mon, just have one, one won't hurt" line. I try to explain that for me some things (such as potato chips) are pretty much like booze to an alcoholic and "just one" can set off uncontrollable behaviour.

At Christmas a co-worker practically stalked me with his wife's pineapple whipped cream cake, imploring me to have just a little "taste", implying that his (or his wife's) feelings would otherwise be hurt. I caved and had a spoonful and it WAS delicious, but that one little taste provided no satisfaction and, in fact, resulted in feelings of deprivation (and could have led to a binge). I wish that people could understand that I'd rather just avoid this sort of thing all together.
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:40 PM   #5  

[QUOTE=Jillegal] the one that's bothering me the most right now is the "Oh c'mon, just have one, one won't hurt" line. I try to explain that for me some things (such as potato chips) are pretty much like booze to an alcoholic and "just one" can set off uncontrollable behaviour. QUOTE]

Yep my team leader bought cookies for us all this week, she knows I am working hard on my weight loss and was on at me to have one. There is no way I would have one cookie, I would have another and another, but what I don't have , I don't miss (this of course, does not apply to chocolate!!!!)

My other peeve is that gyms etc are full of thin people. I am trying to find a like minded (and waisted) people to exercise with, and no one will come with me, because they feel uncomfortable. So I go on my own, which is fine, I am ok with that, but it just seems stupid that those who really need it are discouraged. I don't know what the answer is, but I can moan without having a solution!!!!

Finally why are fattening foods so much easier to obtain than healthy ones?? If I am hungry at the end of the work day and want something ready prepared, why do I have to either cook something myself or jeaopordise my healthy eating plan by having something unsuitable.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:49 PM   #6  

Here are a few that come to mind:

"How much longer are you gonna be on a diet?" Uh, the rest of my life!

"Can you eat that?" I can eat anything I want, I just choose not to when it comes to most unhealthy foods.

"C'mon, one bite won't hurt you." I hate this one, why can't some people just take no for an answer?

"You've lost too much, when are you gonna stop, how much do you weigh now?" None'ya business! I'm a healthy weight for my age and height and that's all that matters.

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of right now.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 03:11 PM   #7  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

My biggest one and I just bloged about this is "I bet you feel so much better". No I feel lousy I wish I could just gain the weight back. How do you think I feel. Of course I feel better. I know people are just being supportive but think of something better to ask.

I've not run into to many of the ones trying to get me to eat. So that has not been an issue with me. Like one girl I work with she is on day shift. She eats healthy and sometimes will have a sandwich or something left over. She will always ask me if I have any calories left and then ask if I want whatever it is she has. So most people at work are very supportive. When there are dougnuts and stuff they don't even try to offer.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 05:33 PM   #8  
missaprylj

"You don't need to lose any weight! You are beautiful."

Thanks, but, I don't enjoy being OBESE, yes, I do *need* to lose weight. I know they're just trying to compliment me or whatever, but it really gives the opposite effect.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:19 PM   #9  
Eating for two!

Wow, I definitely agree with the "just one won't hurt," but Apryl's really hits home for me. As much as I love hearing people tell me I'm beautiful just the way I am, I know that I am (or at least am well on the way to becoming) unhealthy! Don't tell me I don't need to lose weight when I can't even wear a 26/28 button-front shirt from WalMart (depressing little discovery from a few days ago).

Another that was REALLY rough on me in college and is somewhat similar was the good ol' "it's what's on the inside that counts." Yes, that is true, personality is more important than appearance. HOWEVER, physical appearance is the first impression you make on others, and most guys my age aren't so willing to look past it (unless they are forced to actually get to know me by hanging out with mutual friends, etc.). I don't know how many times I have played the role of the fat friend while all the guys came up and talked to my thin friends, ignoring me. Luckily, I now have a wonderful boyfriend who was worth the wait but it was still extremely difficult and depressing at the time.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:16 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

My all time worst story is when a girl at work literally pinned me down and forced a cookie into my mouth. Ugh! And this other girl at work likes to tell me how it's not healthy for me to quit eating sugar, wheat and quit caffiene. I know these things at bad for me, and they make me sick.. so it's a GOOD idea to quit them! And where do they get off telling me taking Calcium is BAD for me, and vitamin C? I thought these were GOOD things to take?!?!?! ARGH! Oops sorry, I'm venting!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:16 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I guess I've been fairly blessed this time because these past few months I haven't really had any peeves. In the beginning, I got several of the "just one bite won't hurt yous."

I'm sure as I get closer to my goal, I will start having several of Beverly's peeves but I'll have lots of time to come up with some witty responses
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:00 AM   #12  
Eating for two!

Cool

Ugh, a good one not about losing weight but about being overweight. I hate walking into stores and having the people who work there give me a funny look because of my size. This happens to me all the time at stores like Express (where I shop for friends) and Pacific Sunwear (which I like for tongue rings and other accessories) where all of the female associates probably weigh 110 soaking wet. I know it shouldn't bother me that they are so superficial and insensitive, but I don't like the feeling.

One day, I'd like to go into one of these stores and just pick up a bunch of size 2 clothes and go into the dressing room to see what they do. Then I could bring a piece of fabric with me in my purse and tear it while I'm in the dressing room so they could hear it, then come out and hand them the tiny clothes and ask, "do you have this in a 4?" I only wish I had the nerve
Old 02-17-2005, 08:43 AM   #13  

This one could be overly picky, but....

I really hate it when people go on and on about how great I look...now. Saying it once would be enough, I know they mean well, but it gets me thinking that I must have really looked like **** before!!

Jill-- I love your idead about the dressing room, go for it!!
tlcstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 10:12 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Jill, that is genius, but it sure would take a lot of guts. I definitely know what you mean. The tiny little peanut friend (hehe) I usually shop with LOVES those stores, and I either get the pity look or the disgusted "what is SHE doing here" look. I guess it sort of is a pet peeve that shopping buddy doesn't even notice, even if I know it's just because she's never had to deal with it. :shakes fist:
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:43 AM   #15  
Crazy Canuck

Oh Jbean, that idea is priceless - you have to do it!!

I hear you, tlcstar. Sometimes you want to say "Shut up already" when they say things like "Oh gawd, you look sooooooooooooo much better now" - makes me feel like I was vomit inducing before.

Another peeve along those lines is how people think its okay, once you've lost a lot of weight, to make disparaging comments about your former look, such as "Oh yeah, you could really fill up an armchair", or worse, "I couldn't believe how fat you'd let yourself get" - ummm...people? I'm still the SAME PERSON now as I was then - you wouldn't dream of saying those things to me then (well, to my face, anyway) what makes you think its any less insensitive or mean to say it now?? Do they honestly think my feelings aren't hurt hearing that??

Hey, venting pet peeves can be liberating!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote