Old 02-14-2005, 08:47 PM   #1  
Crazy Canuck

Cool THIS year's Valentine present...

Ah yes, celebrations of love - Charles and Camilla finally announce their engagement, Brad and Jen may be reconciling, F. Scott Fitzgerald's lost love letters to Zelda are found...and I got a LEASH for Valentine's Day.

Some of you may remember my romantic fool of a boyfriend and last year's Valentine gift of a toilet. Here's the link for anyone interested in THAT saga:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36678

As for this year's gift, I don't want you to think he's overly controlling or that we're into kinky sex - although I wouldn't be adverse to receiving a diamond studded dog collar ... Here's the explanation:

As I've made you all aware, our home is now ruled by an 11lb. adorable pup. By choice, I'm the chief dog walker. Don't get me wrong - my boyfriend will take her down to the end of the driveway to go potty (the dog, not him) and takes her for a brisk walk around the block when he gets home from work, but I'M the one who goes on the marathon walks, which is a sure fire way to get the exercise in as this dog never tires (I'm thinking of renting her out to people who find Leslie incredibly annoying but still want to "walk away the pounds").

My previous pup, li'l Miss Daisy the Bichon Frise, would trot dutifully by my side on our walks, but this little mutt tugs and pulls like an animal possessed. Granted, I did buy a sturdy 5ft leash and know that after she graduates from obedience school this problem will cease and desist, but, in the meantime, I get pulled to the point that I've slipped on the ice a few times and ended up on my tush. I decided to have a look at those extendable 20ft leashes (the ones that you use a trigger to release and then can draw back) but was shocked to see the leash I was most interested in priced at $49 (plus 15% taxes)!

I swear I'd already spent more money preparing for her homecoming than I did on my baby's layette - you know, the usual things like coat, paw protectors, travel crate, collar, harness, bowls, brushes, toys, food, treats, obedience lessons, vet retainer and on and on and on. I decided enough is enough. At this rate I could send the dog to college on what I was spending. Nope, I decided not to let the little beast run my life (the "no dogs allowed on the couch" and "dogs don't sleep on the bed" rules have already flown right out the window.) I'd make do with my perfectly acceptable leash and she'd have to be satisfied with only roaming at will on our visits to the leash free facilities!

Mind you, dog walking was the last thing on my mind as I was presented with my gift, though I guess I should have been suspicious when I saw the "Petsmart" label through the wrapping. I gingerly unwrapped it and have to admit my initial reaction was joy at seeing that darned leash, but I quickly regained my senses, glared at him accusingly and muttered "What the ...?"

He smiled at me sweetly and proceeded to opine that the perfect gift is one the receiver desires but refuses to buy for herself. He then reminded me that I had threatened to poison him if he bought me chocolates, that my current bout with allergies excluded flowers and that his ultra mushy card was proof of his undying romantic love. Don't you just hate it when they try to sway you with logic?

Not being totally hard-hearted, I decided to accept the gift with grace, especially after he then presented me with my obligatory birthday bling (opal and diamond pendant to match my Christmas ring).

Yep, I'm keeping him (even though I've noticed that since he's moved in he constantly leaves the seat up on my Valentine "throne"). After all, he does provide fodder for my posts and I'm kinda fond of the guy.
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:46 PM   #2  
missaprylj

You are so funny, Jill. And lucky! A great guy, a cute dog, AND bling... what more could a girl ask for?
Old 02-15-2005, 10:48 AM   #3  

Nothing says love like getting the dog leash you've always wanted!! He's so sweet and practical, don't you just wanna kick him?! At least he got you some bling to go along with it, so I guess he really is a keeper. Hope you had a great day!

Beverly

Last edited by boiaby; 02-15-2005 at 10:51 AM.
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 11:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Ha ha! I'd forgotten about the toilet until you mentioned it. He's a keeper despite the misuse of last year's gift.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 11:47 AM   #5  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Great story Jill. Now you may get mad at the seat being up but it sure beats it being left down at all times.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 12:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I agree that he is so practical. I wish Jeff would pay more attention to stuff I actually look at and even ask for.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:07 PM   #7  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Jill, you are such a hoot!! Steve and I had decided not to exchange gifts this year and a few days before valentines day he convinced me that we didn't need to exchange cards. "You know I love you babe!". Boy am I easy!!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote