Old 02-10-2005, 06:46 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #5

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining and it is warming up again! Yippeeeee!

I slept so good last night, for a change, and then got up a half hour late! I still had enough time, without rushing, but didn't get to read the paper nor dally around like I like to do. I don't know if I shut off the alarm or kept hitting the snooze but finally DH poked me and I came to enough to roll out! I should have known that was an omen for the day . . . when I got to school I ended up subbing for the ESL teacher in the morning. She is first and foremost a math teacher and took this job on the promise that she would eventually be hired to teach in the math department which never happened; they have pacified her with teaching two general ESL/lower skills math classes. Anyhow, she has a bunch of jerks to put up with and when I walked in, I'm sure they thought, "oh boy, a sub!" So I gave my speech of "cooperate or get out" and they settled down. Consequently I'm way behind in my own job of copying and correcting. We have a half day tomorrow but I am staying until I get my desk cleared off! Whew! I feel better already . . . thanks for "listening!"

"Gma" -- I would be in trouble if I ever have to unhook or hook up the computer! I'm going to have to renew Norton in a couple of months and even that makes me nervous. I had no trouble last time so I have my fingers crossed that I won't again. You will enjoy your new computer . . . the treadmill, I'm not so sure about. Mine has been collecting dust this winter. I need to go find some new toys for the toy box too. Since we will have new babies in the spring, I may have to invest in two different age range boxes. Maybe I'll just stick with plastic bowls, lids, and spoons.

Hope you all have a relaxing evening -- I need to go dream up something for supper! I'm thinking I may go buy a bottle of wine and call it good!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 02-10-2005 at 06:49 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 10:57 PM   #2  

Good Evening, Flowers!
I heading to bed shortly but wanted to peek in and see if anyone has been here lately. I've been busy most of the day doing the usual Saturday routine: laundry, vacuuming fur hunks, and fixing food for tomorrow. The kids and grandkids are coming to celebrate DH's birthday on Monday and Beth's SO's birthday tomorrow. My salad is made and the cake is done. DH is going to grill pork loin chops and I'll just have the potato casserole and baked beans to fix in the morning plus wipe up the bathroom. We started today out with sunshine but it disappeared this afternoon. It is supposed to rain tomorrow.

I hope you all have a relaxing Sunday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-14-2005, 09:46 PM   #3  

Good Evening, Flowers, and Happy Valentine's Day to you all!
The sun is peeking out just in time for it to go down for the day. Hopefully tomorrow will be a sunny day all day! It was 53 degrees on my way home so I won't complain. After watching it rain ALL day yesterday, it was nice to have it dry today. I'm just checking in to see if anyone had posted lately. . .I'm beginning to hear an echo here!

Tomorrow we start ITEDs and they will be spread out over three mornings. We have to read ours and I'm not looking forward to that. We do take turns so it's not like we have to read nonstop, which is good.

I hope you all have a nice "rest of the evening!" Tomorrow is "terrific Tuesday" so do something nice for someone else that you ordinarily wouldn't . . . make them wonder what you've been up to!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-18-2005, 09:16 PM   #4  

Happy Friday, Flowers!
I'm beginning to feel like the lone poster here! I've had a sinus headache for two days; our weather is supposed to change tomorrow so I hope that is what is causing the headache.

We are going to my "mom's" tomorrow to pick up a headboard that belonged to my parents. Beth has the dresser and chest so getting the headboard will complete the set. We don't have school on Monday so I am looking forward to a three day weekend.

Not much is newsy from here. Hope all is well with all of you!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-25-2005, 10:28 PM   #5  

Bringing this thread back to the top . . . . .
Old 02-28-2005, 08:41 AM   #6  

Good morning everyone. I am finally on the mend. I would post on my thread every morning to just get them started and that was it. I haven't been this sick in a long long time. I still have a little congestion, coughing and such, but nothing like it was. It came on all of a sudden too. Two weeks ago I was spring cleaning and by afternoon was coughing a lot and it just went down hill from there.

Jack took me to Little Rock on Saturday just to get me out of the house. We stayed at a Hilton, had dinner out and basically came back home, but it was nice to get out.

I am going to try and clean my upstairs today but have to leave the last room of the spring cleaning until I am stronger. I can just do a little at a time upstairs until I get it all done.

Hope all has been well with you all. Oh, DON'T EVER EVER ORDER FROM WALMART.COM. We ordered a treadmill from them on Feb 3, got an e-mail on the 12th that it was delayed indefinitely. They allow you to cancel as long as they haven't shipped so I cancelled it and on the 23rd THEY SHIPPED IT! I had been in contact with them 3 times about the cancellation because I checked everyday and they still had it processing. I got more of a runaround until Jack called them the day they e-mailed me it had shipped and got in a roaring big fight with them. Seems they have a WRITTEN policy (I have it in an e-mail) that if it doesn't ship within 10 days from order it is automatically cancelled and they didn't do that. What we were trying to do was keep them from charging our credit card as she told Jack it took a month to credit it back. Jack finally went through a supervisor and got it straightened out and we ended up going out and buying a lesser one but we had to as the one we ordered weighed 200 lbs and we didn't have anyone to help us get one that big into the car and house. I now have a treadmill so won't have to go out and walk on the hills.

Hope everyone has a good day

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:22 PM   #7  

Talking

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It is darned cold in my corner of the world today (4 degrees wind chill) . . . and windy on top of it all. The ice, on the lake, is "out" for the most part and the ducks are flying in from the south. I think they are a bit early this year. DH still thinks he is hearing a robin in the morning but still can't find him. It doesn't seem possible that February will be history in a few hours. Time is flying by too fast.

It was a typical Monday at school and I'm running behind as usual. I wish I could get rid of one pile before another one is created! We get out early on Friday so that is something to look forward to.

"Gma" -- It's good to see you again! I'm glad you are feeling better . . . just don't overdo on the cleaning. It will be there whenever you can get to it! I try real hard not to shop at Wal Mart period!

Not much is newsy from my part of the U. S. -- that I'm aware of anyhow. Have a nice evening and a great Tuesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 02-28-2005 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:35 AM   #8  

Morning gals!

I now have a totally nice clean house so all is right with the world again! I still have a runny nose and a little cough remaining but I feel so much better than I did even a week ago.

I bought this really cute rattan cube seat at Target that I can store all of Thomas's toys in and I put a little table in front of it so now he has himself a little desk to play games on. We are all excited as he starts soccer pretty soon. I don't know whether or not he will like it as his father and mother are not big sports people, but it is always so much fun to watch the little ones.

I have been getting on my treadmill a couple times a day now. It is a lot easier and burns more calories to walk 2.5 miles per hour for 15 minutes 3-4 times a day rather than 1 mph for an hour. I am enjoying not having to go out in the weather or climb hills.

It is pretty chilly here today also. It is 36 degrees right now. I can't wait for spring to really kick into gear!

It is kind of quiet and boring here. Have a great day

Faye
Old 03-01-2005, 05:45 PM   #9  

Happy Tuesday, Flowers!
The sun is out here also but it is still "cold." It's supposed to go down to 8 degrees tonight. The streets are wet at the seams so the frost must be coming out/up whatever.

It was another busy day at school. I'm convinced the more that we do, the more "they" pile on us. I can't get everything done in one day and hate starting the day with a pile. But I guess that is job security for a few more years. One of our students, who will graduate in May (hopefully) just started working the night shift at the local packing plant and makes more than I do after 13 years in the school district. I couldn't work there but think there is something wrong with this picture.

"Gma" -- I'm glad you are feeling better! When Beth was little and probably playing in her first year of softball, they called a runner in for a little girl "stuck" on second base. She was dancing around and yelling for her mom . . . she had to go to the bathroom and took off for the port-a-pot before her runner even left the bench. It was so funny! I hope that your DD and SIL will enjoy watching T -- kids grow up so fast and he will be on to bigger and better things before they know it! Glad you are enjoying your treadmill . . . mine is collecting dust in the basement and I tried to talk DH into bringing it upstairs. He wasn't overly excited about that and I really don't want it in the livingroom/family area either . . . maybe on up another flight of stairs to the bedroom?

I need to make a grocery list and get moving. Have a nice evening!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-02-2005, 02:59 PM   #10  

Afternoon ladies! I have been gone all morning with dd. I am enjoying spending time with her now so much more than before.

Talked to my son this AM and he said they got about a foot of snow last night so to be sure and bring winter clothes. I don't have any winter clothes anymore. I have sweaters and such, but no heavy coats etc. Guess we will freeze. We are going up there for Easter weekend so maybe it will warm up.

Jean: I had a big scare a week ago as our noodle head mayor laid off 200 city employees; 90 from my husband's department! I thought his job was so secure and now I wonder. When we lived in Indiana, he was laid off of 5 jobs in 3 years and everytime the door would open earlier than he should have been home, my heart would drop. He is getting way too old to try and start over so all I can do is hope that his job is too important to axe.

We took dgs out to eat last night and had a marvelous time. He told his mom yesterday morning, "Why do I always have to stay with Nana and Pops? Why can't I go and stay at Nonny and Granddad's?" So, I got a phone call from him yesterday wanting to know if he could come stay with me last ngiht (his mom still works evenings and his dad has class on Tues until 9:30 pm) We had a grand time. I bought him a new game called Kerplunk and the three of us played that several times with the 4 year old beating our pants off everytime. How embarrassing!

I guess I should go and check the mail. We get our prescriptions by mail and Jack just had new ones for the year and has run out of one of his heart meds so we hope the stuff gets here today or we will be going back to the cardiologist for samples or something. With the problems we have been having with the little monsters next door getting in the mail, I want to keep an eye out.

Have a good evening

Faye
Old 03-02-2005, 05:58 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
The sun is shining and it's 41 degrees outside! It got cold enough so there is a thin layer of ice around the shoreline and the ducks are lined up and thinking maybe they should have stayed down south a bit longer! Another busy day at school and I have a pile waiting for me in the morning. If I ever have a sub, they'll never know what hit 'em.

"Gma" -- How long does it take for you to drive to Indiana -- interstate or scenic two lane highways? It seems that 30 degrees feels alot warmer in March than it did in November if that's any help! We used to play Kerplunk with our kids -- my parents were so good about playing games with the kids. Beth and Jason often reminiscence about the times they spent with their grandparents "playing." My mom spent many hours sitting on the floor playing match box cars with Jason. Then when Beth came along she played dolls with her! My dad was more into the outdoor "play ball" kind of stuff. I'm sure you enjoy your time with T and he with you. I will keep my fingers crossed that Jack keeps his job. In this day and age it's hard to find jobs that pay as well or have the benefits that one accumulates over the years. Our insurance company is encouraging us to do mail order drugs and I told the rep that we have an idiot for a mailman and would probably never get them! Besides, I want to support our local druggist who happens to be a neighbor!

I have bell choir practice tonight and suppose I should think about something for supper. DH is off getting a haircut and will be home in a half hour or so. Have a nice evening and a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 03-03-2005, 10:16 AM   #12  

Morning ladies!

I just read on AOL that the basketball coach from Temple, whom my husband has always despised and said was a thug, sent what he called his "goon" into a ball game against I think Saint Joseph to purposely hurt a kid. The Temple kid fouled out in a record FOUR MINUTES and did his job, broke the arm of the St Joe star player so badly that it ruined his possible NBA career besides ending his basketball at college. Brother, everybody thought Bobby Knight had anger problems, but he never sent a player in to hurt another player. That is just sick. Hope they fire his behind and no one ever lets him coach again.

Jean: We take I-55 out of here then I-57 into Chicago then the Indiana toll road right on in to my son's. It is 65 and 70 mph the whole way and takes almost exactly 10 hours. Not an exciting drive, but all Interstate. As for our meds, we get 90 days at a time for the same cost as 30 days at a time by doing it by mail. Saves us about $385 a year this way. The only reason it took longer was because his refills were up and he had been to his yearly appt and we have to always kind of start over with Express Scripts by filling out their forms and sending them the prescriptions, which take time. If it is just a refill, I can do it online and it takes about 3 days to get our meds. It is really easy and no waiting in line and such either. They call us the day they ship so I can be on the look out for them.

One of the neighbors told me the company that owns the condo next to us with the kids that stole the mail, throw food on our patio and come into our back yard without permission, besides parking and blocking our garage all the time....Anyway, the rental agency is being foreclosed on and the neighbors are going to have to move! Hopefully, no one will buy it and it will stay empty for awhile before I have to deal with another set of screwball neighbors. I doubt anyone buys it to live in but as rental property. That seems like what they are all being bought for now days. I swear I am about ready to put in an expensive security system if the neighborhood keeps getting worse. We are NOT moving. I love my condo and don't want to deal with a house unless I am rich and have some one to tend to the yard and such!

Well, I need to get my upstairs chores done

Faye
Old 03-03-2005, 10:14 PM   #13  

Good Evening Everybody! The sun was shining and the wind is not blowing -- what more could I ask for?! It was 46 degrees on my way home after school -- nice!

It was another crazy day at school. I would be so shocked if everyone would hand in their assignments on time! I waste more time looking up answer keys for late assignments and it tends to make me a bit crabby by the end of the day. We dock the grades 10% but that doesn't seem to make any difference. Today we had 7 students stay after school because they were so far behind. I have another pile waiting on my desk for tomorrow. It is an early dismissal day at 11:30 so I will be able to work in peace and quiet for awhile.

"Gma" -- I get the "wiggles" after being in the car for a couple hours; I'm not sure I could do a long road trip any more. That is a very sad thing to happen to the basketball player. I hope that the "powers-to-be" will strip the coach of any future coaching opportunities and fine him big time. I wonder if he could be charged with assault even though he didn't actually do the damage. He should be! I've seen Bobby Knight in action and could never understand why anyone would hire him as a coach simply because he is not a good role model for his players. Years ago, when we lived in Ohio, we lived in a rented condo. At the time they were the "elite" and slowly the company began selling them to private owners. Our landlord bought several and rented them out. We were the only renters in our complex but we loved it -- it was all young couples our age, with no money, and small children. We had alot of back yard fun together. It's be 30+ years and we still keep in touch with one couple. Everyone was from out of state and one by one they moved on. I hope you get some good neighbors next time!

I need to get busy and pick up a little before I head to bed. Have a fantastic Friday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-04-2005, 11:49 AM   #14  

Morning girls! It is beautiful, sunny and going to be mid 60's today! Whoo-hoo! I even put on ratty shorts and tshirt to wear around the house today.

Ok, I am Kerplunked out. I guess we must have played that game 10 times last night with dgs! Then he played 4 games of checkers with his granddad. That child is a game playing fool, but we love to play with him anyway! We had a nice visit with he and his mother and I guess he has never had baked beans because he said, "Nonny, I LOVE these beans!" He ate 2 big helpings so his classmates at school should beware today! She called on her way here and asked if she could bring dessert and I said, sure so she shows up with this chocolate pie with really bright green whipped cream. She said, it wasn't flavored, just colored for St Patty's day. When we cut into it later, Thomas was my helper and made sure I understood that, "This is Granddad's favorite pie, but the green stuff is just colored whipped cream, not something else. I LOVE whipped it cream, it is my favorite and had to sample some!" You know, back when there was so much strain with them and I wasn't getting to see him at all, I used to cry to dh that I was afraid he wasn't going to want to spend time with us or let me keep him because he would be afraid to leave his mom etc as we were almost strangers to him. He told his mom last night, "I love coming to Nonny and Granddad's, it is heaven!" Boy, did that make me feel lots better! There is truly nothing like having grandchildren!

Jack so wanted to just call in and take an emergency vacation day today, but he went ahead and went to work. Between the 7 days vacation he is taking for Vegas and then 2 days in October when we are going to Houston to see the Cubs play, 4 days when we go to Indiana the end of the month, he is getting thin on vacation and bonus days. He gets 10 vacation, 2 floating, and then 1 bonus for every 90 days he works without calling in sick or taking a sick day. So, he can have a total of 16 days off, but he has already taken some time off the first of the year. His job gets pretty boring I think and that is worse than being busy all the time. Sometimes they spend days trying to think of things to do and then will have days when they are overloaded with work and can't seem to keep up.

Well, I need to go. Everyone have a good weekend!

Jean: Hope you get caught up with grading! I would think it is one of the worst parts of teaching!

Faye
Old 03-04-2005, 04:25 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly and it's 53 degrees, but it is windy so doesn't feel that warm outside. The cats are all stretched out enjoying the warm sun. The outside cat is stretched out on the deck. We got out of school at 11:30 today but it was 2:00 by the time I got done with all of my copying and correcting. I still have a few papers waiting for me on Monday but they are today's assignments so hopefully the rest will come in Monday and I can check them all at once. (In my dreams I should be so lucky!)

"Gma" -- I had to at your be Kerplunked out! It sounds like you had a wonderful time with T and yummy pie to boot. I'd rather be too busy than have nothing to do. I don't usually have 10 minutes to call my own and especially so in the afternoons. At least in the morning, I am in the same room with my own desk so I can sit down and catch my breath once in awhile.

I guess I will get started on the laundry. I think Beth and Maddy are coming home this weekend because Will has to work. With Maddy around to "help," I don't get nearly as much done but that's ok!

Have a nice evening and a great weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!