Old 02-09-2005, 08:37 AM   #1  

Talking Moms losing weight #40

Welcome all to a thread full of wonderful women taking on the responsibilty of raising a family and trying to take care of themselves too. We look forward to a new day with members, new and old! Please feel free to jump right in and say hello!
Here is a little bit about who we are ...

MichelleRae: Michelle sahm to Taylor 8-25-01 & Teagan 10-13-03 Married 2 years to Zhaun. Plan I'm following is a combined WW and South Beach Diet.

Spryng: 24 y.o. married 6 years. Kids- Ava 4, Bubba (aka Joseph) 3 & Tanner 1. Currently on ww, hit goal in April.

Mompen: Penny 24 y.o. Happily Married & SAHM Momma to three active boys, Hunter 5, Nicholas 4 & Andrew 19 mo. Taking what I learned from WW & South Beach is my way of life.

Sydsmom: Kristin SAHM to Sydney 09-27-01, married almost 2 years to wonderful dh Began Weight watchers mid-July

Cindi: Mom to 6 boys & 1 mean girl. Plan.. No diet for me! Portion control, exercise & lots of water (most days).

Chubba: Geri..Mom to two boys, Will (3) & Tony (1)..married for 4 years to a great guy..following Dr Phil most days!

Ricci sahm to two boys 4 and 5, married 7 years, doing ww

Jill: SAHM of 1 daughter, Bayley, born 9/19/03. Currently trying to lose some of the baby weight I gained with her & need some extra support to help me do so.

Melissa: SAHM of 1 girl (4) and 1 boy (2). Currently watching what I eat and exercising 4-5days a week.

Deana: SAHM of 3 boys and 1 girl. Counting calories, exercising, and drinking lots of water.

Chris: SAHM of Tiana, Kayla and Nicole: ages 11, 5, and 2. Married for 5 years. I live in Billings, Montana. I'm a rheumatoid arthritis sufferer and trying using WW Flexpoints to lose weight.

Gretchen: wife to Matt, Mom to Sean (15) and Jeremy (11). Just starting out with no diet plan except reduced calorie. I'm also a Curves lady!

Roxy: married (21yrs) 4 boys, and 6 girls, have to get serious after last baby. Doing the low-carb thing, drinking lots of water & more exercise.

Stephanie: sahm of 2 boys Timothy(7) and Jack(3) and a new baby girl, Ella(8 months).

(bobsgal) Stephanie: 27 yo SAHM to Brandon(2/18/98) & Kayla(10/20/00)Married to Bob(2/12/99) Work part-time at Home Depot. No specific plan- just exercising & watching
melmcc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:59 AM   #2  

Default A New Day

RISE AND SHINE EVERYONE.....TIME TO GET UP AND MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the middle of the week gals, so lets stay strong with our programs what ever they may be. Do you think we can ALL get a bit of exercise in? Something??? I know, I'm a pest. I am starting my Cleanse today. It's a one month slow thing, so I hope it works. I can not eat any WHEAT or DAIRY during this time. I had WHOLE OAT hot cereal for breakfast, I still have to get protein in though.

The guest speaker at my group was great. Too bad there wasn't more time. He did say that we should be eating a fat, carb and protein at each of the 3 main meals. Breakfast being the largest meal then lunch and smallest at dinner. He said artificial sweetners are bad, they cause yo yo'ing. they make the brain think its getting sugar, but the body can't find it, so it makes the body crave it. Interesting! He said to drink WATER at room temperater, because the body can metabolize better that way. He also said when at home, drink filtered tap water in a GLASS, not plastic and no bottles. If you are out or at the gym, a plastic bottle is fine. We don't have much choice as he put it. HE said, plastic does break down and it does release toxins into the water. He said he tries not to eat the same type of food for three days. He didn't say he thinks that's what we should do, but he said it gives the body a chance to release what ever toxin was in the food and doesn't give it a chance to build up. Makes sense.

He mentioned that there are 7 movements that everyone should do from your feet...meaning from a standing position....not sitting... Bend, Push, Pull, Press, Lunge, Squat, and Rotate. We should be working each part of the body 3 to 4 times per week. By that he means, what you feel is your max. Don't over do it and dont think 8-12 is the magic number for a set either.

He recommended Being CONSISTANT. Add INTENSITY. PROGRESSION, and VARIETY. SO make sure you exercise consistantly, make sure that you do the right intensity, by you max, Progress by adding weight or repetitions over time, and do a variety of exercises for the same body part. Don't get bored of doing just one fixed exercise to help a single are. There are many exercises you can do for one muscle group.

He writes articles for EXERCISEFRIENDS.com

He recommends that you drink half your body weight in water. Kind of like that formula we did that time. He said every other glass you should add a pinch of Sea Salt to the water to replenish electrolights. Never thought of doing that. THat might help with the fatigue after exercise or during.

Anyway, sorry that is a long post, but I hope you find it helpful. He gave us a little cartoon, that says.......don't look at it ...it makes you cry...It's a picture of a woman looking a scale... He is so right!

Anyway, Jill, how is Bay? Is she feeling better? I hope so. Are you going to Pilates this week? LMK how it goes.

Chris, I posted it in the last post, but I am so sorry to hear about your mother. prayers go out to you and her. Hugs to you.

Ok, I'd better get off this thing, because I want to get out to the gym and get moving. I also have to go to two other stores for errands today!
Old 02-09-2005, 10:14 AM   #3  
soontobethin

Good morning everyone. Mel, that was an interesting speaker. I think we can all learn something from what you posted. For me, it will be drinking water out of a glass at home. Not sure about the room temp thing though. I have heard that your suppossed to drink water hot, because it metabolizes quicker, and then I heard your suppossed to drink it cold because it makes your body work harder to warm it up, and now lukewarm. Hmmm.
Well, all I have been knocked off my program for a few days. I have caught a nasty nasty cold/flu. I was only up off the couch for an hour yesterday and that was to pick up my sister and my son. Had a fever of 102, so needless to say I stayed home from school last night. I am better today though, except I have no voice. Just trying to rest and get plenty of fluid in me. I hope everyone has a great day.
need2losemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 10:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

wow mel thanks for sharing all that! I found it very interesting!! I just wanted to come and say good morning before I hop my fat ol butt on the gazelle lol!

I hope you all had a good nights sleep! I'll be back later!
Love to all!
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:50 AM   #5  

Hi girls you probally don't even remember me here, haha....I am a lurker and tend to stay on my other thread, sorry .

But Mel I had to post....that information is great. Thank you so much. I am looking into doing some cleansing. My body just feels bloated and yucky. I agree with the wheat thing. Everytime I eat wheat I bloat up and feel so gross. Thanks again for all that information. I am going to go to that website. Btw, you are doing so well at your weight loss. Keep going girl.

Michelle, I think you are doing wonderful too. You have made such progress. I have about 10-20 pounds to lose and having one heck of a time with it.

Hi Penny. I am still praying for you cousin. I check back to see if you posted to see how she is.

I really miss Spryng btw. I wish she would post. Even though she reached her goal weight it was nice hearing from her.

Jill I am lover of the Bacherlette show too!! How cool Ryan is from your town. He seems so sweet. Good luck with sbd. I was on it and lost some weight but had problems with gastrointestional issues. I would like to try it again. I did better in phase two. More fiber.

Hi everyone else. Julie
jbbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:56 AM   #6  
a.k.a. Roxy

Goodmorning Moms-
Busy this morning! Laundry and such and kiddies run amuck! Martin is demanding more food that he can eat. I have him on organic yogurt now...and he loves it! It's great that he can tolerate that now and do so well. As soon as I have him liking the one from the store, I'll make some homemade from milk from my friend's dairy cow. We ALL love that!

Mel- thanks for the interesting post! I already knew about the room temp water, I use sea salt regularly anyway. I know that we should use plastic as infrequently as possible. As well as Teflon and aluminum. They all release toxins esp. Teflon! I am starting to read more about artificial sweetners too. The more that I read about them the more I think I want to avoid them as much as possible, of all varieties. You asked me yesterday if I ever did a cleanse. Yes, a parasitic cleanse (for parasites in the intestine), A pre-fasting cleanse to clean out the intestine so that the fast (liquid food) was more readily absorbed. I could only tolerate that so long. I like to chew and swallow! But I never did a detoxify. Maybe that one is in my future! How's your oil going? I was able to tolerate mine better lately, so I guess that I am getting used to it. Hopefully, you are too. Yes! I AM going to move MY fat duff today too! Got my new dvd from wallyworld yesterday and after I post will WATP (don't laugh!) I know this is lame for you...but babysteps for me. One of these days I hope it will be ME making these great exercise posts!

Ricci- Oh no not the flu-Ugh! I really hope that you feel better! Myds is just getting over brochitus that he got from the flu. I hope you don't get that! Hope you feel better real soon abd that the whole family doesn't get it!

Hi Michelle- you are busy lately. Are you feeling better? Have a great workout on the gazelle! You sound like you are really into your schoolwork this semester. I hope that it is enjoyable for you!

Well, I hope everyone else is having a great day. I will be back shortly...
1hot_tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:24 PM   #7  

Hello again! I just finished 30 minutes on the gazelle yayyyy 3 days in a row I've gotten in some exercise! We'll see what this sunday brings Today is my first official day on SBD so I'll let you know how it goes. I've taken my meds and my daily vitamin so that's out of the way. Breakfast will be fat free plain yogurt with some davinci syrup in it Lunch I think will be a salad and a grapefruit. Dinner a salad and a chicken breast with mushrooms sauteed in I can't believe its not butter spray. I'm aiming for 100 oz of water today too. Well I'm gonna go try and get the house picked up a little before hubby gets home. I'll be back later!
Love to all!
Michelle
Old 02-09-2005, 12:25 PM   #8  
I will suceed!!!

Default Good morning....er...early afternoon...

Ricci, REST! I have been sick for more than a week, and know how you feel. Don't worry about exercise or anything. Just rest. I know you guys all probably know this already, but the Doc told me that as long as I am having this problem in my chest, not to exert myself too much. Well, duh, chasing my son around the doctor's office yesterday sent me into a coughing fit and had me worn out! LOL, everytime I think I am getting better, I wake up the next morning, feeling worse than I did before...

Mel, that was great information! I had heard that drinking ice cold water after you exercise makes your body work harder, but had never heard of the lukewarm thing. I can't use most sweetners because of the aftertaste. And I am still having a hard time giving up soda. But one habit at a time. Cigs are first, since they are more dangerous.

I do have a question of a delicate nature. It's actually embarrassing, and thought it would not be so bad after the kids were born. But it seems to be getting worse. Incontinence. Coughing fits that I have been having this past week or so have caused me to...well, wet myself. Totally out of control. Have any of you ever experienced this?
Redskirt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:56 PM   #9  

Hi Tabitha,
To answer your question about incontinence....your weight can cause you to be incontinent, I had the very same problem when I was at your weight and I no longer have the problem. As you may know just like in pregnancy when the weight of the baby is pushing on your bladder fat can have the same effect, not in that it is pressing on your bladder but I'm sure it is bearing some extra weight. You'll notice as soon as the weight starts falling off it will get better. Don't be embarassed it is a perfectly normal symptom of being overweight. Did you know that obesity is the second cause of preventable death in the US? Second to smoking that is, and smoking is only leading by a margin of about 35,000 deaths a year. I just wrote a whole paper on the epidemic of obesity and healthy eating. So changing your lifestyle now will allow you to live a longer healthier happier life

I hope you feel better soon!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 01:25 PM   #10  
a.k.a. Roxy

Hi, me again!

Hi Tabitha! Hope that you are feeling completely better soon! Michelle's right about the excess weight. Also, here's a link to kegel exercises that strengthen the pelvic floor. This muscle weakens after childbirth and needs to be exercised just like everything else after childbirth! As a bonus these improve sexual relations, as a mother of ten, ummmm...maybe I won't go there. http://www.kegel-exercises.com/ Hope this helps.

Michelle- I hope you get a good grade on that paper! WTG on the gazelle! Enjoy your 1st day on SBD, hope it's a good one for you! Your menu looks good. Check this out.http://www.gococonuts.com I was telling Mel about it yesterday.
1hot_tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:34 PM   #11  
soontobethin

Hey, everyone. Michelle, way to go on the gazelle. My friend has one, and she now uses it for a clothes hanger. I used it at her house a couple of times and I really liked it.
Roxy, thanks for the get well wishes. Everyone else in my family has already had it. I was the last to get it and got it the worst. I am just stuffed up now, and am going back to school tonight. I am still drinking lots and lots of water and orange juice.
Tabitha, I agree with what everyone else has said on the incontinece. Like Roxy posted, kegals are suppossed to help with that. I never expirenced it, even when I was pregnant, but I hope it helps.
Hi to everyone else. Have a great day.
need2losemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:57 PM   #12  

Ricci, hope everyone is feeling better soon! Glad you found the info helpful.

Michelle...WTG girl on the 3rd day on the gazelle. OHHHHH 199 is gonna come real fast girlie!!! Great job with SBD today too.

Roxy, I saw those other cleanses that you mentioned. BTW, WATP is a great exercise in my opinion. I have 4 of them and love them myself. I just needed more discipline and to be able to do it withOUT Bugga wanting me to hold him...ya know.....Yes, YOU KNOW! ANyway, Great job! Fresh yogurt...wonder if i'd like that. I hate yogort in general.

Where is everyone else??

JBBM, sorry, I get you confused with someone else that post now and then...is it JULIE? Anyway, thanks for the WTG about the weight loss. You keep up the good work too.

Anyway ladies, I have gotten in 1 hour of exercise. 1/2 hour of cardio and 1/2 hour of chest and arm exercises at the gym. I really pushed to get myself through all the sets and reps myself. I burned over 300 Calories with cardio and I have no Idea what with the weight training. Hope you are all having a great day! bbl
Old 02-09-2005, 02:00 PM   #13  

Tabitha, ooops ...sorry! don't worry about that problem too much. If it is really bothering you....talk to the doctor. It is a common problem in woman who are thin also. I just saw something on tv about it. They can give you something for it!
Old 02-09-2005, 02:02 PM   #14  

Oh and Kegels are great too. I did them preggo with my dd and after.. It was wonderful!
Old 02-09-2005, 07:47 PM   #15  
mama of 4little Angels

evening ladies-Sounds like everyone is doing pretty well. I'm doing good. I've been getting my exercise in and writing down everyyhing I eat, good or bad.
It really makes you feel more accountable for what we put in our mouths. I'm eating alot healthier and i'm finally breaking the eating right before bedtime. The only thing i'm noticeing that i'm going to have to figure out is, i'm burning alot of calories but i'm hungry more. Hopefully this will pass. I've been drinking water like crazy at the gym and at home and the scale hasn't budged in 2 weeks. I'll be happy if I lose 1/2 a pound this week. I am sleeping better at night since I don't go to bed with food on my stomach. I do 30 minutes on the bike instead. Does anyone know of a ff and no calorie snack I could have during my hunger pains?

Well ladies, i'm tired i'll get personal tomorrow. I gotta go put the kids in bed.
love to all
Angel Marie is offline   Reply With Quote